What was your first bike?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, not the first dirt bike that you rode for 5 minutes when you were 12 years old. I mean the first bike that you owned and rode on the street.

Mine was a 1974 Suzuki TS-185 that I bought in 1978 for $450. I paid for it with the money I had saved from mowing lawns and I rode it for about 5000 miles until it was stolen from my high school parking lot.
frown.gif

My first motorized mode of transportation was a 1958 Cushman scooter. My first motorcycle was a 1960 125cc Allstate made for Sears by Puch in Austria.

why does it have to be on a street?

and does that street have to be paved?

does a dirt/sand road count?

and the answer is the one my uncle built in his farm shop. 1970

Originally Posted By: Johnny
My first motorized mode of transportation was a 1958 Cushman scooter. My first motorcycle was a 1960 125cc Allstate made for Sears by Puch in Austria.

Johnny,

I grew in in Arlington, Tx. and in that time Cushman's were all over the place. Kids 13 years old had them and rode them on the streets and to school. My cousin had a Cushman and I rode it a lot. My folks wouldn't let me have one as often some kid would get hit by a car. Nice machine for a kid at that time.

Mine was a '76 Kawasaki KZ400.

One thing I remember about it was that in high gear the tach and speedo read in unison. As in 30mph=3000rpm, 40=4000, 70=7000,etc.

Had Mac mufflers on it, after the originals rusted out, and when riding on the highway it sounded very busy.

Not one of the better bikes I've ever had, looking back.

Originally Posted By: sunruh
why does it have to be on a street?

and does that street have to be paved?

does a dirt/sand road count?

and the answer is the one my uncle built in his farm shop. 1970

The rules are not hard and fast. Feel free to contribute as you wish...

My first bike was also a Suzuki 185 Enduro, I bought it brand new for $850 on my 18th birthday in March of 1974. I rode the he-ll out of that thing for several years, a lot of it off road following real dirt bikes. Dang, the stories I could tell about my adventures with that bike
grin2.gif

1974 RD 125 with flat bar, chambers, rejetted, pods, trick reed valves, etc. Put just about every dime I made into it! It was so loud I had to push it 2 blocks before I could start it if I wanted to sneak out. The throttle was like an on off switch... nothing... then BANG.

1982 Honda CB450 'Hawk'. Never rode a bike before I bought it, brand new. The salesman showed me where all the controls were, and I rode it home in rush hour traffic.

In retrospect, a motorcycle safety course would have been a great idea, but I never dropped it in the 3 years that I owned it. Moved up to a 650 Nighthawk. Loved both bikes...

Rupp Roadster was the first bike. I'll never forget it.

1978 Suzuki GS1000 first street bike. They were both monsters of the day!!!

82 Yamaha XV750 Virago. Got it a year ago October not running for $250. Running, registered, insured in November then I got to stare at it stored up against my far garage wall through winter.
20.gif

A Bird Mini bike in 1968, followed by a slew of various dirt bikes, including a 250 Bultaco Pursang, and a 250 Husky CR. First street bike was a 1974 Kawi 400 2 stroke triple. All my Street bikes have had triple engines, for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back