What oil are you folks using?

My 2010 Chrysler Sebring has seen Pennzoil Platinum for about 90% of its changes. I used a couple Harvest King and Castrol Magnatec full synthetic changes in there, but now I’m using Valvoline Maxlife HM full synthetic since it’s sitting at 205k.

My Wife’s 2017 Hyundai Elantra has seen a couple Quaker State Ultimate Durability changes, but Pennzoil Platinum since. But I did pick up a 5qt jug of Mobil 1 full synthetic to change the oil Wednesday. The Walmart near me had Mobil 1 priced the same as Platinum when I picked it up.

L8R,
Matt

Wife's Kia currently has M1AP 5w20 but has had most name brand synthetics and always an OEM filter. Daughter's Cruze currently has PP euro 0w40 but has also seen most name brand synthetics and a Wix filter. Neither need any top off so far with 5k oci's.

2018 Ford 2.0T
Fram Tg3614
Schaeffer 7000 5w30
5k oci

I have had a box of Havoline Pro DS for the last 2 changes but can’t make myself use it. It’s Noack is 12.3% and I’m worried that might lead to more deposits in the engine. No proof, just a feeling. Schaeffer is in the low 10s but I can’t remember exactly what the percentage is.

I was wondering about this today while donating platelets. For folks that own a TGDI, TDI and or turbo vehicle like the Eco Boost; what oils are you folks using and how long of a OCI are you running? Have a wonderful weekend folks and stay cool 🇺🇸🇨🇦🍻
Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 for 10k in my TDI.

The Factory oil in the VW turbo was very sllickery - like it wasn't even there to slow down pistons or cranks. But when it got hot it would peter out and I got clatter and clanking - mechanical engine knock - like bad bearings. So After the VW dealer put the wrong oil in at a 1/2 interval OC ( ~5K miles) I bought some real synthetic, and expensive, Motul VW 508 online - which is like a API SN 0W20. That was good - but too thin also - even before it got hot I had engine racket. So, as a last ditch effort, I had some M1 0W40 FS EURO lying around for the GENERAC 5000 house emergency generator, and since the VW engine started drinking the Motul right away, I added a pint when the oil got down. Magically - all problems solved. Good power returned, no funny noises - even when REAL hot. And its still in there 9 months later performing the same as it did at 1 month. I Don't even think about it. No oil issue! Imagine that. On a Turbo D.I, engine with 18lbs overboost.
On The wife's Subaru, the engine didn't like the Rotella Gas truck 0W20. Too gooey and loss of power. So, it will be back to the watery Subaru Synthetic 0W20 - which is blended by Idemitsu Indiana, USA - or maybe something else. That 2 litre engine is not picky - it just wants a light 0W20. - Ken

The Factory oil in the VW turbo was very sllickery - like it wasn't even there to slow down pistons or cranks. But when it got hot it would peter out and I got clatter and clanking - mechanical engine knock - like bad bearings.
I have to wonder about factory fill sometimes. Been using 0w20’s for years and have used 3 brands. Never had any that did not appear thin in the summer. Early drain from my 2020 Jeep was clearly thicker (only 500 miles)

The Factory oil in the VW turbo was very sllickery - like it wasn't even there to slow down pistons or cranks. But when it got hot it would peter out and I got clatter and clanking - mechanical engine knock - like bad bearings. So After the VW dealer put the wrong oil in at a 1/2 interval OC ( ~5K miles) I bought some real synthetic, and expensive, Motul VW 508 online - which is like a API SN 0W20. That was good - but too thin also - even before it got hot I had engine racket. So, as a last ditch effort, I had some M1 0W40 FS EURO lying around for the GENERAC 5000 house emergency generator, and since the VW engine started drinking the Motul right away, I added a pint when the oil got down. Magically - all problems solved. Good power returned, no funny noises - even when REAL hot. And its still in there 9 months later performing the same as it did at 1 month. I Don't even think about it. No oil issue! Imagine that. On a Turbo D.I, engine with 18lbs overboost.
On The wife's Subaru, the engine didn't like the Rotella Gas truck 0W20. Too gooey and loss of power. So, it will be back to the watery Subaru Synthetic 0W20 - which is blended by Idemitsu Indiana, USA - or maybe something else. That 2 litre engine is not picky - it just wants a light 0W20. - Ken
Wow

For folks that own a TGDI, TDI and or turbo vehicle like the Eco Boost; what oils are you folks using and how long of a OCI are you running?

Wife's 3.5EB Flex currently has Schaeffer 9000 5w30; oil will be run out according to UOA, then compared at same distance to Schaeffer 9000 5w-40. I may also try their 15w-40 in the summer.

If extended drains are not possible with Schaeffer, it will have to be ST for the shorter intervals.

Working on her to trade it though, prior to the internal water pump failure rearing its head.

I was wondering about this today while donating platelets. For folks that own a TGDI, TDI and or turbo vehicle like the Eco Boost; what oils are you folks using and how long of a OCI are you running? Have a wonderful weekend folks and stay cool 🇺🇸🇨🇦🍻
I speak for one of my friends, whom I maintain their car. They do mostly city driving, and have a 2017 honda civic with the dreaded 1.5t w/ horrendous fuel dilution issues. I use PPHM 0w20 in their cars with changes every 6 months/ 50% on OLM, whichever comes first. Filter wise, I have always used bosch premium 3323, as it is the default filter for most if not all hondas made within the past 20 years (I get it shipped for $4 per at rockauto).

Castrol Edge Euro 5W30 in both my wife's Audi and in my Elantra Sport.
My Elantra has the 201 HP 1.6 GDI-T specifying 5W30 A5/B5 or a 5W40 A3.
I do a 5K OCI on both cars.

Walmart had 5 qt jugs of it for $22.48 so I bought 2. Mahle oil filter for the Audi and an OEM Hyundai oil filter
for the Elantra. New crush washers are used each time.

I'm not consistent with what oil I use.

I run Supertech 5w20 in our 2017 Explorer 2.3 ecoboost. Change when the OCI reaches 0 which is around 7500-8000 miles.

The Factory oil in the VW turbo was very sllickery - Subaru, the engine didn't like the Rotella Gas truck 0W20. Too gooey and loss of power.

Slickery and gooey I had that problem before.. just not with a car engine.

we need more reaction emoticons.. I have no idea what to even say to that post.

on topic: I use PP 5w30 in my Jeep TGDI 2.0L it meets the required ms-13340 spec. Usually use fram ultra filters. about 4000-5000 or aprox 3x a year.
it gets short tripped all winter 2 miles. with some longer weekend drives.

The elantra port injected 2L gets whatever i have around 5w20 or 5w30 with oem filter. 2x year. or @aprox 5000-6500 miles

Back