What oil are you folks using?

Yeah, not where I live :(

No distributor where I live. Some states don't have one. Schaeffer's assigned a representative/distributor to us at one time after the whole Bob fiasco. Do we not have one anymore?

If I could get the 7000 GII+/PAO Blend for what I pay for GIII at Walmart I would be there in a heartbeat. Unfortunately the decline in price on GIII based oils by the majors appears to be slowly freezing out many of the traditional smaller independents.

No distributor where I live. Some states don't have one. Schaeffer's assigned a representative/distributor to us at one time after the whole Bob fiasco. Do we not have one anymore?

If I could get the 7000 GII+/PAO Blend for what I pay for GIII at Walmart I would be there in a heartbeat. Unfortunately the decline in price on GIII based oils by the majors appears to be slowly freezing out many of the traditional smaller independents.
Agreed. I use 7000 at work but can’t afford it in all of my personal vehicles. I try it from time to time if I get a face to face with my rep but mail order is to high for me. I might have to finally use the 6qt box of Pro DS I got for 17.97

Agreed. I use 7000 at work but can’t afford it in all of my personal vehicles. I try it from time to time if I get a face to face with my rep but mail order is to high for me. I might have to finally use the 6qt box of Pro DS I got for 17.97

If I learned something during my short tenure at BITOG, is that it's a bad idea to overpay for motor oil. Actually, for any oil for that matter.

If I learned something during my short tenure at BITOG, is that it's a bad idea to overpay for motor oil. Actually, for any oil for that matter.

Well sometimes you have to (at least if your oil meets specs). Not going to be getting a VW 504/507 for $17.97 for 6 qt unfortunately.

M1 ESP is about the cheapest I've seen locally.

In my TSI Golf, I'm using castrol 0w-40 euro. I've had a turbo/gdi engine for the last 10 years with similar oils. 5k or so OCI

Unfortunately I think Magnatec E is a 🦄 in the States.
I bet their molecules are not any different from ours. Besides, it’s only SN and GF5, we’ve got newer stuff here. Not even talking about prices here :)

Kirkland Signature in both vehicles now. It's constantly cheap and meets required specs so why not.
I'm getting there myself. Change between 3500 and 4000 miles in my cheap Equinox commuter, and 4000 to 5000 miles in my old, but still very nice, Silverado. If I can't make it into an Anchorage or Grafton Costco, my alternate is QSUD from Wal-Mart.

I always install a quality filter. The defaults are the XG9018 or the standard ACDelco PF457GO for the Equinox, or an XG9837 or Wix 51522 on the Silverado.

I do like the Purolator Boss filter technology -- not the price tag.

Last edited:
Huh? SuperTech is their brand name for automotive products. Nothing wrong with that name.

I don't think they put a lot of research and thought into it when they picked that name. It sounds like an Asian motherboard/computer parts manufacturer from the 90s. It doesn't exactly convey the message of quality. Anyway, just like your opinion is that there is nothing wrong with the name "SuperTech", I'm entitled to mine, my point being that I don't think that back when they came up with it they put a lot of thought into it. It just sounds cheesy, that's all.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not married to any particular brand oil but lately my favorite has been Rotella Gas Truck. Just bought a Ford Ranger with the 2.3L EB engine. For it's first oil change it got QSUD and a Motorcraft filter. Not sure what oil I'll use after this one. Probably the Rotella GT. My usual OCIs for all my vehicles is 5,000 miles.

I don't think they put a lot of research and thought into it when they picked that name. It sounds like an Asian motherboard/computer parts manufacturer from the 90s. It doesn't exactly convey the message of quality. Anyway, just like your opinion is that there is nothing wrong with the name "SuperTech", I'm entitled to mine, my point being that I don't think that back when they came up with it they put a lot of thought into it. It just sounds cheesy, that's all.

Hmmm... I don't want your super tech working on my engine. Could you put one of your poorer ones on it?

Guess I never saw the issue. Wouldn't really care if they put "Oil - Generic" on it.

He was answering a question not addressed to him!

indeed.gif

Why not SuperTech? Basically the same as Kirkland.
I'd rather walk into a Costco than a Wal-mart.

Moreover, I'm an avid fan of their quality products -- from gasoline and their tire store to their Kirkland-branded meat and coffee. Wal-mart does absolutely nothing for me.

Have you ever noticed the quality differences between each company's employees? Ever noticed the cleanliness differences between the stores? Night and day difference!

:)

Last edited:
Have you ever noticed the quality differences between each company's employees? Ever noticed the cleanliness differences between the stores? Night and day difference!

:)
That doesn't seem to be the case where I live. Besides, when it comes to saving money I really don't care about the difference in store and employees appearance.

Back