Fleet vehicles: what do you folks use?

Good Morning BITOGERS 🇺🇸🇨🇦

For all you folks that work at fleets; what oil do you folks use in the vehicles? My work we use Safety Kleen 5w30 blend and Eco Ultra 0w20 and M1 0w16.

my dad recalled at his old workplace they used 15w40 DELO in everything

I don't work "at" the fleet, but we have a small fleet of mostly RAM 1500's, they are serviced with NAPA 5w-20 and NAPA filters. Our OTR trucks are all serviced at the dealer so the Kenworth gets DELO 10w-30 and the old Freight Shakers get whatever bulk 15w-40 they use.

When I was in fleet service we used 55 gal drums of shell formula 5w30 and Rotella T 15w40. The gas trucks for 5w30 and the diesels got 15w40. All filters were Wix. This was around 99-01 time frame so it may not be as relevant today.

All GM van and truck fleet.
We use what ever oil/filter the quick lube shops , dealers and independent shops use.

In another life, an independent repair shop I worked at serviced fleets for a few local plumbing and electrical repair businesses. At that time, in the mid to late nineties, everything got bulk Citgo Superguard 10w30 and OEM filters. All the companies ran GM vans and trucks, so 10w30 was good across the board.

Our medium duty trucks (International 4300 DT466, Kenworth w/ 8.9L Cummins ISL/Paccar PX-9) get Mobil Delvac 15w-40, not sure the filter.

Our pickups (2003 F350, 2014 GMC 1500) get Napa 10w-30 and 5w-20 respectively if we do them ourselves... But lately we've been shopping them out to the nearest quick lube place that uses whatever bulk oil they have.

my dad recalled at his old workplace they used 15w40 DELO in everything

County service garage near me at least 10 years ago used 15W-40 dino in everything also with very few exceptions. That included hundreds of passenger vehicles that spec'd 20 weight oils. Reported engine failure rates were pretty low like in the single digits and within the expected margins had recommended weight oils been use.

My fleet is serviced mostly based on cost. I buy for a few months at a time. In the last few years we have used 6 gallon enviro boxes of Mag1 (Warren Distribution) in 5w30 and 15w40, 55drums of Chevron Supreme 5w30 and Chevron Ursa 15w40. And most recently we are using Schaeffer 7000 5w30 and 15w40. I’m currently sampling to see if we could save money on annual service with Scaeffer over 6 month service with cheap oil that meets specs. It’s a tough decision because the Warren and Chevron oils have given us great results. The Schaeffer oil has been great too but costs twice as much.

My fleet is serviced mostly based on cost. I buy for a few months at a time. In the last few years we have used 6 gallon enviro boxes of Mag1 (Warren Distribution) in 5w30 and 15w40, 55drums of Chevron Supreme 5w30 and Chevron Ursa 15w40. And most recently we are using Schaeffer 7000 5w30 and 15w40. I’m currently sampling to see if we could save money on annual service with Scaeffer over 6 month service with cheap oil that meets specs. It’s a tough decision because the Warren and Chevron oils have given us great results. The Schaeffer oil has been great too but costs twice as much.
Chev Supreme and Warren Dist's Mag1 (and others by Warren) are great oils.

Please report back regarding Schaeffer's annual service results and potential. I'd enjoy hearing about the results and your final decision.

Whatever the results, please be confident (proud) of your bold testing and evaluation. Keep exploring and pushing forward.

Thanks!

Last edited:
When I was a Police Officer, our station (Northside district) used Castrol GTX Synblend (gray bottle) in all the patrol cars.

I have a fleet of otr trucks, skidsteers, forklifts and a few pieces of odd equipment and they all get MFA 15w40 for the most part. The new lifts are running Mitsubishi 2.0 and 2.4 4 cylinders and do fine on the 15w40 for 300+ hours. We have a few golf carts that get T6 5w40 because they’re hard to start on anything thicker in the cold and the new F250 gets MC 5w30 per the manual.

Reactions: SR5
Chev Supreme and Warren Dist's Mag1 (and others by Warren) are great oils.

Please report back regarding Schaeffer's annual service results and potential. I'd enjoy hearing about the results and your final decision.

Whatever the results, please be confident (proud) of your bold testing and evaluation. Keep exploring and pushing forward.

Thanks!
Thanks. A sample came back this morning. This was from a daily used rear loader trash truck. It’s a 2016 Cummins ISL with 5,500 hours on it. It sees hard use at low speeds and heavy weights. The sample next to it was Ursa 15w40. This engine in my fleet does not like the Warren products. It shears them and wear metals are elevated. Enjoy.
CAE622CE-D809-43D4-8DD3-05EB17317267.png

Last edited:
I have some older ones at the office that put the Warren viscosity at a 12.7. If I remember correctly it was a summer run with lots of idling for A/C.

Back