Anyone still use 10w30 oil?

05, 06 prius get it in the summer. Toyota says it's okay over 40'F. I have a ton of it from various clearance sales. Valvoline NextGen, PPHM, RP, Mobil Super, Peak. I've left it on the shelf at a buck a quart, a feat of self-control.

Silverado 4.8 got it for a "it's new to me" flush. If I ever get back into flipping beaters they'll get it too. 85 dodge w250 plow truck has Rotella 10w30 from the "big jug sale and rebate". Cranks over like it's 68 degrees out, must be that 1980s smog compression.

0W30 syn in the Suzuki SX4 and 5W30 mineral or syn in the ageing ‘Barra’ engined Falcon.

Oh yeah... if I can’t get my hands on 5w30, 10w30 is my next choice for my generator, lawnmower and snowblower.

I need to look into getting some diesel bulk oil like that. Is it relatively cheaper than jugs from a retailer?
Yes, but storage and dispensing equipment is expensive. You'd need to use a considerable amount to make the investment worthwhile.
Even a drum and a cheap hand pump can save a lot per gallon over the cost of lubes packaged in smaller containers.

It was shown several years ago that 10W-30 results in lower timing chain wear than 5W-30… So I will be trying some in the 4Runner in the next year or two.

I have used 10W30(and may again) in the Firebird in my sig but typically stay with 5W30. I've even used an HDEO-15W40(~3X in 40 yrs). Though I haven't used 10W30 in the ALTIMA in my sig, it is allowed in the OM(dino or syn).

I used it up until a few years ago when we only had a few days below 0 but over the last few years those days have increase 3 fold and so has the -20 days so 5w30 it is. Thanks to BITOG I can't justify doing two changes a year based on mileage just to use 10w30 in the summer.

I use Mobil 1 10w30 in the Corvette, it helps quite a bit with a noisy lifter on startup. The LT1 Gen 2 SBC is spec'd for 5w30 but we never see temps below 28F so 10w30 is just fine for this application. Based on everything I've heard and read, 10w30 is a very stout grade where it is appropriate to use.

I use it in my 04 Tacoma if I can’t get 5w-30 in the oil I run in it at the time. Walmart’s price on Chevron Supreme 5w-30 was more expensive than 10w-30 at one point for some reason so I ran the 10-30 for 3 oci with no problems.

Yes, I just drained a crankcase of Quaker State QSUD 10w30 I bought on sale. For summer use there is nothing wrong with 10w30. There are those who feel it is more shear resistant and therefore will resist shearing down in a Turbo or any other high rpm engine. Manufacturers don’t seem to care about this as there are very few manufacturers who still spec a 10w30 motor oil. If you want to try put science behind it do a used oil analysis on 10w30 and a 5w30 and see what your Kinematic viscosity viscosity is at 100 C. All the UOA places will give you that. From there you can make your own decision for less than $50. QSUD has a higher kinematic viscosity than say Pennzoil for non- Euro type products.

Personally I don't bother to look for it. I have a Chevy 6.0 with over 200,000 miles on 5w30 Synthetic.
I'm not sure that I've ever seen 10W-30 on an oil cap; 5W-30, surely have.

I remember asking myself this very question when I first started driving back in 2000. Had a 3800.. 1992 vehicle, so maybe a Series 1. I was told I was imagining things, but I thought the 10W-30 was both 1. Better for hot temperatures operation, like in the summer; 2. Ran smoother.

My mechanic (an old school guy. Worshipped Late 60s Dodge) said this was correct, as 10W-30 only had a 20 "point spread." And I always thought a 10W was a thicker "base oil."

But hey. Mobil 1 came in a red cap bottle back then, so.. what do I know.

I'm not sure that I've ever seen 10W-30 on an oil cap; 5W-30, surely have.

I remember asking myself this very question when I first started driving back in 2000. Had a 3800.. 1992 vehicle, so maybe a Series 1. I was told I was imagining things, but I thought the 10W-30 was both 1. Better for hot temperatures operation, like in the summer; 2. Ran smoother.

My mechanic (an old school guy. Worshipped Late 60s Dodge) said this was correct, as 10W-30 only had a 20 "point spread." And I always thought a 10W was a thicker "base oil."

But hey. Mobil 1 came in a red cap bottle back then, so.. what do I know.
Last 10w30 cap I had was on a 2007 Chrysler …

Ahhhh! Thank you for this.

I've honestly not seen very many. And I sold a 2003 Grand Caravan Sport SE. Did not look at nor remember oil cap.
even though we changed the timing belt on schedule … around 136k it went to see it’s camshaft maker 😕

even though we changed the timing belt on schedule … around 136k it went to see it’s camshaft maker 😕
Buyer never did pay me for that car. I could use a course in Business 101.

Reactions: 4WD
Back