Has anyone used synthetic oil for the life of their vehicle and have over 200K on it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If so:

What are your experiences with the oil?

What was your change interval?

How is the vehicle running?

Is your engine still clean and spotless?

Any more info?

Well, I guess this doesn't really count because I got my 88 GMC 305 with 67K and it had been overheated and run with a stuck open thermostat. That said, I have 217K on it and it runs strong. Valve guide seals are shot and the rear main seal leaks. I just had trouble with it and had the fuel pump, filter,TB spacer replaced. The mechanic said "boy, it sure runs good". Mostly used 5W30 MI. If I go to the higher visc grades it makes the rear main seal leak too bad. By the way I also changed the trans over to Amsoil fluid when I got it and it shifts fine with no work done on it either. Rear axle seal went out at about 125K so I put Mobil 1 in that too.

My work/play 97 Aerostar AWD 4.0 has nearly 190,000 miles. I have used synthetics from first oil change. Synergyn and Mobil 1 mostly. Some Redline and Torco. I am now running German Castrol.

No problems, no lifter noise, NO oil consumption....I live in an area of extreme summer heat and travel to fairly cold areas in winter.

I am sold on the synthetics I have used, and highly recommend them.

BTW It just passed the strict Calif smog test. Super clean...with original cats

I also use Rislone "add anytime" 700 miles or so before oil changes.I know, I know LOL

[ August 14, 2003, 02:06 PM: Message edited by: tenderloin ]

I have a '93 Ford Explorer with 120K and have used Mobil 1 since first oil change. I switched to Mobil 1 because I got tired of changing my oil every 3K and on M1, I do it twice a year at around 5-6K.

Results:
1. After 120K, still does not use any oil between oil changes.
2. In Houston, we have very strict emission requirements and have to pay $40/yr to have emissons checked. Just had mine done about a month ago and the technician said that my numbers were as good as any new car. So, my cats have not been killed with super high levels of zinc-phosphate additives.
3. Can't see in the engine, but I assume it still looks good.
4. I keep the cost down by buying the 5qt jugs at Wally-world for $17-18. That way I only am paying $7-8 more for a top synthetic oil. Assumming a good dino is $2/qt.

I just got rid of an 86 BMW 528e we bought new. First 40k, it used conv. oil, changed when the oil monitor indicated. My wife said to let the dealer handle :) It developed an engine problem, so I took over the oil changes. Used Mobil 1 (xW30) until about 160k. Then I used BMW sny (5W30) until 195k. Used Schaeffers #703 (5W30) on the last change at 195k, and sold it at 197k+. This car didn't burn any oil. Leaked some at seals. Most people with old BMWs tell you to use heavy oil, 40 or 50wt. Well, I has opposite experience. Car always ran great after converting to syn. I really thought Mobil 1, BMW, and the Scheaffers were about the same for this car. I used a change interval of 5k with after 40k.

Sold it at 197k? Oh so close!
smile.gif

I would've made a last ditch effort to put those last 3k on it, just to take a picture of the odometer, and then sold it.
smile.gif

"You sold the old beast? Say it isn't so!! What did you replace it with?

Haven't replaced it yet. We have two vehicles and one is a Burb 4X4.

I am currently looking to replace the '92 with a Nissan Pathfinder, 240 Hp V6. Stay tuned.

" Why so short of oil changes? 10k with bypass, 3k-5k without? "

That's the primary reason. Secondary reason is we live on a gravel road and trying to keep down the silicon levels have been a real challenge. Silicon levels have averaged about 25 ppm, so I didnt't want to leave too much silicon in there any longer than necessary.

I have attempted to acquire a K&N filter but the local speed shop is always running out of them.

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
"You sold the old beast? Say it isn't so!! What did you replace it with?

Haven't replaced it yet. We have two vehicles and one is a Burb 4X4.

I am currently looking to replace the '92 with a Nissan Pathfinder, 240 Hp V6. Stay tuned.

Nice engine! My dad just traded in his 2001 Infiniti QX4, which had that engine, it's super smooth and has a lot of low end torque. He ran nothing but Mobil 1 in that thing, at 7500 mile intervals.

Interesting point, the owner's manual for his QX4 mentioned 10w40 as an acceptable viscosity to use in the summer. I haven't seen that in a new car owner's manual lately!

quote:

Originally posted by dagmando:
---Snip-ed--it---
This is why I have always posted here that it's not the type of oil you use, it's the regular change intervals that count. It also depends on the engine.

Well I agree, although we each have "our" brand of
oil, As long as it is good oil, and the engine is flushed once and awhile you'll be fine provided that the engine has no engineering problems.

I've had several cars in the 160's +
a couple over 200K
One of about 800K (300K was M1)... still needed to flush though... and at that time no testing with between 7-15K per change most around 10-12K
and this was changing my filter several times between the drain.

Well, after my wife drove it for 17 years, it had become part of the family. She got a BMW X5, primarily for the extra room in hauling around the 2 year old, and 6 year old. She had the X5 for about 4 months before she finally let it go. It was very emotional. BTW, the old E28 body is build like a vault. They just go forever if properly maintained. The paint and interior were original, and still in excellent condition.

On topic, I think the key to this car using Xw30 and being happy was the fact that it was never abused, and had all the recommended Inspection I and Inspection IIs when needed. I can honestly say it ran as good at 197k as it did at say.. 50k. It always averaged around 25 - 26 MPG, mostly stop and go traffic. I'm sure it would do around 30 MPG on the highway.

Would this car have done as well with dino? My hunch is probably. I think the syn gives you an extra margin of error. Go over the 5k interval by 2k on syn, and it's not a problem. Go over by 2k on a 3k interval with dino, you might have more of a problem. I dunno, that's why I'm here with the "oil nerds". I want to know more.

90 F150 4x4 bought new from factory order.

pennz 10-40 for 1K then 3K more to break it in, then M1 10-30/15-50 mix to get to appx 10-40, then at 30K ams 10-40, in the mid 100'sI would experiment with pennz 10-30 syn or qs 10-30 syn, or valvoline...never was satisfied, went back to amsoil until 200ish then been on castrol 10-40 syn. 5k avg change intervals. towing nearly every weekend heavy things. many many highway miles. been inside at appx 205ishK to fix a bad intake gasket - carmel on the block, but the shiny stuff thats supposed to be shiny is. runs appx 52-53psi at highway speed. idles 20-25 when smoking hot.

super engine cooling so never overheated. tranny is original too - changes every 30K up till 180K then every 20K - currently have 217K and change on it - using dexron/mercon - mostly wolfs head. inside of tranny is spotless, never any matter in the pan. and yes, I have a tapped converter so I get all 12qts out.

ams 75-90 in the front axle - never opened it. had amsoil 75-90 in the rear till I found out it helps wipe out trac-loc plates, was running straight gl5 90W from ford with lim slip modifier, until 175K the pinion bearing started going so I had the axle rebuilt, running dino 75-90 with a fresh set of plates.

All in all, I perhaps have less than the usual amount of ford rear main leakage. I use a qt every 2K roughly. I can tell the motor has lost a step power wise, but I think it has more to do with injectors giving up the ghost, im showing signs of being a bit lean on the plugs. 331inch stroker motor still sits in the garage awaiting assembly.

A 1990 Audi 100, with 211,000 miles ....

Amsoil changed every 15,000 miles/1 year, with a filter change @ 7500 miles/6 months. Engine is in excellent shape and burns very little oil - perhaps a quart every 6000 miles when using 10w-30 syn. If I use 20w-50 the consumption basically goes away. Engine is very clean under the valve cover ....

TooSlick

I have a 94 Chevy S10 P/U with 4.3. The truck has 196K miles. I've used Mobil 1 10-30 since new. I change the oil about every 10K miles. This includes a filter change. I typically use ac-delco filters.

To date, the motor does not leak or burn any oil. Other than routine maintenance, the only repair has been an ac compressor.

Considering the oil change interval, mobil 1 is a good purchase.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
Sold it at 197k? Oh so close!
smile.gif

I would've made a last ditch effort to put those last 3k on it, just to take a picture of the odometer, and then sold it.
smile.gif

I agree with patman, shoulda put the last 3k miles. Unfortunately, I haven't ever gotten to the 200k barrier.

94 ford ranger new to 77k miles before it was totalled in 97
87 toyota corolla bought used at 138k crapped out at 183k miles
92 mits mirage bought used 5 years ago at 63k miles currently 112k miles.

but on my pace, I'll reach 200k when the mirage is 20 years old
gr_eek2.gif

I've never come even close to the 200k barrier myself either, not in miles anyways. I did own a 1988 Taurus that I bought as a winter beater, which had 225,000km on it though. I only owned it for the winter and then quickly (and luckily!) sold it.

I usually get bored with a vehicle long before I've had it for too long. Things are different now that I'm married, with a mortgage and a son. No more living the life of Riley with new cars every year!
smile.gif

The wife's 93 Camry now has 231000 on it. Bought it new, and has been run on a diet of Mobil 1 10w/30 since after the breakin at 5000 miles, and changed every 5000 mi after that. Just did a new timing belt replacement and valve clearance check. Everything looks good, nice and shiny, no sludge/ gunk and still in spec. Never had the valves adjusted. The 2.2L four banger runs strong, quiet and uses no oil between changes. I am sure the motor will outlast the rest of the car!

I'm not sure of the year (78-80)...my Mom's Citation with 2.8 went 220,000+ on Mobil one with one annual change and filter and top offs at the intervals. She would use 1/2 quart between filter changes.

The vehicle was given away due to sun damage to the dash and a shot headliner. The engine was still quiet and NEVER had any internal work done on it.

I must add, however, that this engine did show (what would be) "normal" build up in the valve cover area (as in, it was not "clean").

[ August 22, 2003, 09:32 PM: Message edited by: Gary Allan ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back