First store brand oil you used?

Two weeks ago.... O'Reilly's Syntec in my wife's Fusion (and a Microgard filter). I'm impressed with it although I'm only judging it based on how quiet it made the engine. I could have gotten a name-brand oil and name-brand filter at Walmart like I normally do cheaper but it only cost me about $5-6 more.

In 1986 when I got my driver's license and my first car, I started using Quaker State 10w40 (it was in a 1979 V6 Mustang) Shortly after that I began using Castrol XLR 10w30, and then in 1988 I started using Mobil 1 10w30.

Late 1980s, I was broke but still changed my oil, mostly used Flag motor oil. Not sure what store brand that was, but it was the cheapest oil I could find.

Late 1990 Superflo 10w30 when it had the red bottle with a tiger running on the bottle when AZ had the gray Deutsch filters
My New 1991 Plymouth laser RS All wheel I was just a 16 year kid this takes me back

Sears and Western Auto. I think I used to stop at Montgomery Ward too.
Good old Monkey Wards...
1644505023011.jpg

Hard to remember but if I had to guess, probably the Sears Spectrum brand 10W-30 in the mid 1980's. That was my Grandfather's go to place for any vehicle fluids at the Sears Auto Center

I have been going through my memories trying to remember what store brand I might have used way back in the past and I am coming up empty.
recently I have used plenty of Napa synthetic but that only started in the 200X.

I suspect when I was younger I just assumed brand name oils must be a lot better than store branded oils

That would be Sears oh so many years ago. At the time it was claimed Chevron was packaging the oil. It came in 24 qt. cases.

Tech 2000 from WM in my 2002 Cavalier when I realized house-brand oils were a bargain. I used to watch WM sell a ton of it before that, thinking it was junk, and that the next-cheapest name brand oil (Havoline) was soooo much better!

That’s been so long ago that I can’t remember. The first oil I do recall that was so-called boutique’ was Arco Graphite. I eventually gave up on it because it was too messy to deal with.

I cant remember, it was the mid 90s with a 1990 Chevy Cavalier coupe. Smoked ALOT of weed since then, but have abstained the past few months. 🤷‍♂️🎄🤡

Honestly always used a named brand synthetic until last month I decided to give Motomaster OEPLUS synthetic a try since it seems to be rebottled pennzoil platinum. Next I’ll be giving their 0w30 a try

Back