What manufacture has the best customer service?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a warranty problem with my Honda CRV and the dealer fixed it, gave me a loaner (for as long as I needed- were even going to let me take in on vaca if they were not done with my car in time) and the problem took all of 1 hour for me to deal with between driving to and from the dealership to drop off, diagnose and pick-up. I frequently forget about the problem because of that. Chrysler wanted me to pay a diagnostic fee when my Neon's head gasket blew. Once again, I went to a good dealer, they said don't worry about it and took care of it for $100- no loaner, but the car was way out of warranty (around 90,000 miles). However, with my PT Cruiser, Chrysler would not do anything to help with the electrical problem. Anytime the car sat for a couple of days the battery died. The would tow it, but a new battery in and then nothing. This happened 3 times within a year. When I asked if they would keep the car to fix the actual problem, they (Chrysler Zone Rep) said sure, but who knows how long it would sit. The dealer refused to offer a loaner- even worse, one time I am certain they jumped the car right before giving it back to me! It was awful and neither the dealer nor Chrysler helped. I got the car lemon lawed. Overall, I think the dealer is more important however. I will always purchase from this dealer who has handled my Honda and I refer everyone to them- no complaints so far.

ref

In my 30 years in dealership service, I've never seen a customer win a suit against a manufacturer for out of warranty defects. That includes Ford, Chrysler,Jeep, Dodge, Honda, and GM.

Whether at fault or not, the manufacturer has more money and time than a customer does. If they do feel at fault, they will tie you up in court for years, and it's a time and money hole for the customer.

Understand a factory warranty. It tells plainly what they will and will not pay for. "Hidden" defects that show up once the warranty expires are not covered. When you sign papers to purchase the car, you verify that you understand that, whether you do or not.

Repairs out of warranty that are not on recall are simply good PR on the manufacturers part. They don't HAVE to do anything.

In my experience it depends ENTIRELY on the dealership: Steven's Creek Acura (San Jose, CA) replaced my IAC valve under dealer goodwill (out of warranty) for a problem that I complained about to Ferman Acura (Tampa) while UNDER WARRANTY, but still wouldn't fix, because they couldn't replicate it. Good thing I got a print-out of the original complaint.
Some dealers just bend over backward for you, even if you never regularly have it serviced there.

Some dealers are indeed allowed more leeway with judgement calls on warranty, based on their performance with the manufacturer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back