Toyota dealer uncertainty in the oil viscosity used

-27? Where does it state that? I do not know Japanese, or whatever language that is. Mobil1 0W16 states -54.
If that actually is the case, it is absolute garbage.
You don’t have to know Japanese to extract the pour point from the two TDS sheets. The SN is listed as -50C.

I can’t find an English language PDS for TGMO 0W-16 SP. I sent my dealer’s parts department a request for the PDS and SDS.
Mobil1 0W16 SP has pour point of -54, and 70-80% PAO. That one you have is 50-60% HC. That amount of Group III will result definitely in higher pour point, but -27? That is really, really bad.

This line:
高度水素化重質パラフィン系油蒸留物

translates to "Highly hydrogenated heavy paraffin oil distillate" which shows 50-60%.
Interesting. Well, I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt. I have never even seen a 0W20 synthetic with a pour point that high. Hitting the 2 instead of the 5 on a keypad would be easy to do.

Interesting. Well, I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt. I have never even seen a 0W20 synthetic with a pour point that high. Hitting the 2 instead of the 5 on a keypad would be easy to do.
50-60% Group III oil will not have Pour Point of -50 or lower. Probably will be in -40's.

Probably slipped and hit the 2 instead of the 3.

-37C/35F is pretty adequate for most places

NA Parts Executive VP: We're not selling as much 0W-16 TGMO as we should. Any ideas why?
Assistant: No problem, Sir, I'll look into it!
NA Parts Executive VP: Thank you. It's not some Mobil 1 or Walmart sale, is it?
Assistant: No, Sir! Takeshi fat-fingered the pour point, and customers are losing faith in our Genuine motor oil. 😁

Back