Supertech VS Redline - Project Farm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by burla
this is how you judge an oil against another

No, you look at CCS and MRV, which are the standardized tests for determining performance at cold temperature. Why do you think Redline 5w-30 isn't a 0w-30? Because it doesn't pass those tests to carry the 0w-xx designation. Which one does it fail? Likely CCS.

Any oil will flow good at -15, should tried lower. But then again, maybe he is doing this on purpose? -30c and you see the oil that still odesn't get cloudy. Um, and guys would rather put the cloudy one in their vehicle, LOL.

If you watch his other videos, there is quite the difference in flow capability in oils at the temperatures he uses. He had one showing valvoline conventional was way slower than similar grade full synthetic. Royal Purple's API approved oil got MUCH worse cold flow after being cooked.

He is using what he has. I'm sure he would go colder if he could but he using a beer fridge.

Last edited:
I find his videos entertaining and he has a disclaimer at the beginning of the test where he states these are not scientific test's but it's the best he can do with what he has. What I found disturbing is he claimed all the approvals for the Red Line oil but it clearly states on the bottle "recommended for".

[Linked Image]

Any oil will flow good at -15, should tried lower. But then again, maybe he is doing this on purpose? -30c and you see the oil that still odesn't get cloudy. Um, and guys would rather put the cloudy one in their vehicle, LOL

To me the chart shows, accurately, the lower temperature limits of an oil based on the w rating. Perhaps whoever made the chart thought of conservative upper limits as well.

I do recall seeing a post from a member who lives in the Middle East. He had an oil temperature gauge which conclusively prove that in his vehicle at least, oil temperature goes well above what was expected; he said he would never use the 20 or 30 in those conditions and was sticking with the 40 grade....so in that respect the chart makes some sense.

And yes I believe the Project Farm guy used -15 for a wider audience; after all most drivers will not be doing a statt at anything below(or even approaching) that temperature.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Trav
Originally Posted by Railrust
So the bottom line is....for 5,000 mile oci's you really can't go wrong with the Super Tech.

I don't use Redline engine oils but they claim it is suitable for VW 502 and with a 3.7 HTHS and higher zddp levels it is looking like a Euro 5w30. The Super Tech with an HTHS of 3.17 and lower zddp levels should not be used in engines requiring a high HTHS or Euro spec engines.
IMO The problem with testing these oils against each other is other than the 5w30 designation on the bottle they are apples and oranges.

Exactly! Weights were the same and that was all it took. 3.7 and 3.17 are huge hths differences so its definitely apple to oranges.

Lots of "defending" the test at -15 because people seam to be invested in the outome. 10 degrees lower, you would have had a tangible undeniable result.

I don't think anybody here would say that Super Tech is a superior oil to Red Line.

I'm actually shocked this forum is giving this video views, much less validity. Bogus tests like this spread myths and misinformation that this forum has spent nearly 2 decades trying to get rid of.

Lots of "defending" the test at -15 because people seam to be invested in the outome. 10 degrees lower, you would have had a tangible undeniable result.

Yet you seem to be defending its validity by proposing a lower temperature
21.gif
There are standardized tests for qualifying cold temperature performance, this isn't one of them, ergo results at this temp or any other mean absolutely SFA.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
There are standardized tests for qualifying cold temperature performance, this isn't one of them, ergo results at this temp or any other mean absolutely SFA.

This is exactly correct.

The test does not represent any mechanism or process in an ICE
The test does not measure a relevant property of the oil
The test is not repeatable
The test results are not analyzed properly
The test results are not presented properly

Each one is fatal in and of itself.

The lack of even basic understanding of scientific method is at first glance amusing, but probably not uncommon.

People seem to think there is some vast dearth of tests that do accurately and properly characterize an oil, and that one must resort to this type of exercise on YouTube for some shred of guidance. Nothing could be further from the truth.

His videos are about as much a shade tree user can do testing oils without specialized lab equipment. Thought it was worth the time to watch. Drawing definitive conclusions is another thing but I thought the anecdotal results showed many of the oils are just arguing over gnats whiskers width results.

Sure it is enough to p!ss the fanboys off though.

Originally Posted by Hootbro

I like the guy, he does good wotk out there. I love it when he tests things to fail point, of what he didn't do this time when it came to hot and cold. Pointing out that any 5w30 with a lower viscosity then another 5w30 would obviouslt flow a litlle faster at -15 is someone being [censored] off. Just a fact.

Actually, wouldn't it actually be great of someone did that? test different oils til they actually froze, or actually boiled to zero and measured that? That sir, would be an eye opening test. Not that it would be strong enough evidence to overcome the group 3 fan boy spec hunters and their marketing interests, but as an oil guy, that would be a show? I'm gonna test 20 oils at 70f and see which oils are the best, Redline would likely come in last place that test, but it will be great all the same?

Originally Posted by Hootbro

I like the guy, he does good wotk out there. I love it when he tests things to fail point, of what he didn't do this time when it came to hot and cold. Pointing out that any 5w30 with a lower viscosity then another 5w30 would obviouslt flow a litlle faster at -15 is someone being [censored] off. Just a fact.

Actually, wouldn't it actually be great of someone did that? test different oils til they actually froze, or actually boiled to zero and measured that? That sir, would be an eye opening test. Not that it would be strong enough evidence to overcome the group 3 fan boy spec hunters and their marketing interests, but as an oil guy, that would be a show? I'm gonna test 20 oils at 70f and see which oils are the best, Redline would likely come in last place that test, but it will be great all the same?

Looked like he had a just a regular compact consumer grade fridge. Getting down to -30 and below would probably require something more specialized and probably more expensive.

Super Tech 5W-30 (syn): CCS @ -30 °C = 4576, Noack = 11.3, HTHSV ~ 3.0.
Red Line 5W-30: CCS @ -30 °C = 6000, Noack = 6, HTHSV = 3.7.

Super Tech 5W-30 (syn) easily wins the cold-flow competition in the ASTM cold-crank simulator (CCS) because Red Line 5W-30 has a thick base oil. So, the Project Farm tes result is valid.

Super Tech 5W-30 (syn) BOQI II = 116 (Group III)
Red Line 5W-30 BOQI II = 206 (PAO/ester blend)

[BOQI II (5W-xx) = 2,000,000 * HTHSV / (CCS * Noack)]

Therefore, in terms of base oils, it's day and night though, with a Group III against a PAO/ester.

As a comparison, Mobil 1 5W-30 BOQI II = 156 (Group III and PAO blend) and PPPP 5W-30 BOQ II = 162 (GTL); so, they stand about midway.

Common man, you are sharper then this. Here. see with your own eyes Super tech at the time of fail, worst then any oil tested. Don't believe your lying eyes? Too bad he didn't do redline, it would have easliy flowed best in this test.

[video:youtube]https://youtu.be/uQ_vxdO_9nc?t=113[/video]

Actually, wouldn't it actually be great of someone did that? test different oils til they actually froze, or actually boiled to zero and measured that? That sir, would be an eye opening test. Not that it would be strong enough evidence to overcome the group 3 fan boy spec hunters and their marketing interests, but as an oil guy, that would be a show?

That's one of the most silly things I've ever seen you post. You really don't have any idea, do you?

Hey Bubba hold my beer, I'm gonna run my truck up that hill real fast like and see what happens.

Someone posted a video years ago where they put different oils in an oven maybe? I remember they eventually caught fire!

Common man, you are sharper then this. Here. see with your own eyes Super tech at the time of fail, worst then any oil tested. Don't believe your lying eyes? Too bad he didn't do redline, it would have easliy flowed best in this test.

[video:youtube]https://youtu.be/uQ_vxdO_9nc?t=113[/video]

I don't see your precious Red Line in that test......

And the ST was conventional, against synthetics.

Is that the only way you pathetic fanboys can win?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back