Project Farm?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was removed by a moderator last night.

If you have a question about moderation, ask privately, and we’ll answer. We aren’t up for public debates on moderators decisions.

Project Farm, as far as I know, is "frowned upon"
... if I had to venture a guess why: it is because he makes stuff up, flat out lies and fabricates and represents it as "technical information" (apparently he really, really, really likes Pennzoil. I don't know, I watched his Seafoam of his Ford Ranger and haven't watched anything else of his since I realized he pretty much doesn't do videos on actual cars.. hmmm) and he is basically "entertainment" and not scientific, technical info. As much as he likes to think he is with that lawnmower.

Basically, he is a no talent clown, of sorts (if you seen the movie Office Space. Cool.)

I'll stop there but I remember a thread about it months back.. nothing good happened.

By the way... whenever I see the initials PF I think of Pepperidge Farm and Goldfish snack crackers. Yum.

Edit: Watch his spins on Pennzoil (I wonder if that big long thread with the Admin-typed disclaimer about Project Farm every other post near the end is still up) and tell me he isn't in it for entertainment purposes. "The totality of the additives?" Flat-out lie. I don't watch him just like I don't watch certain other channels.. some, I do. I don't like my time wasted. He might even do a "gravity pour" test of oil out of the freezer. I'm an entertainer on YouTube and even I haven't don't that.

The contention also lies in that some feel they have the right to have their time wasted, if they choose to, and that is true as well.

Last edited:
... if I had to venture a guess why: it is because he makes stuff up, flat out lies and fabricates and represents it as "technical information" (apparently he really, really, really likes Pennzoil. I don't know, I watched his Seafoam of his Ford Ranger and haven't watched anything else of his since I realized he pretty much doesn't do videos on actual cars.. hmmm) and he is basically "entertainment" and not scientific, technical info. As much as he likes to think he is with that lawnmower.

I'll stop there but I remember a thread about it months back.. nothing good happened.
I did get the jump pack he said could not start anything, and costed $99. Someone here said you should consider returning it if you got it on amazon. I remember thinking oh s*** why didn't I watch his video first then I'd know this thing doesn't work. Then I thought hey I have a junk car in back, and there are 100's of other videos showing this thing does work, why don't I try for myself? I even got the idea that no battery needs to be installed based on what I saw online. Car started 3rd try :ROFLMAO:

I'm not sure what happened after I posted a thread based on the video about different Supertech oils, but it was obviously removed. Based on other PF related posts still existing, something controversial must have occurred.
I asked a moderator about this last night and got a very detailed and thoughtful reply. While I don’t completely agree with the answer I got, I can understand why they’re doing it… that’s all I’m going to say.

Basically, he is a no talent clown, of sorts (if you seen the movie Office Space. Cool.)

By the way... whenever I see the initials PF I think of Pepperidge Farm and Goldfish snack crackers. Yum.
That’s a little harsh.

But it strikes at the point - much of his “testing” doesn’t produce worthwhile results. When it comes to oil, what he tests is often irrelevant, and pointless, leading to misinformation and specious results.

Testing an open end wrench to destruction is entertainment, and since he ignored the weight and feel of the wrench, he isn’t measuring quality or utility, both of which matter to me. You could have a heavy, clumsy wrench that doesn’t fit into tight spaces “win“ his test and it would be the worst choice for most of us. I bought Stahlwille wrenches because they fit parts, like the 24mm fitting on an hydraulic accumulator, that other wrenches simply will not, but in his test, the Stahlwille loses.

Makita makes a great blower, but it doesn’t do well in propelling a bicycle. Since I don’t use it to propel a bicycle, should I consider his results? I’m very happy with my Makita blower.

See what I mean?

Problem is, folks take his tests as gospel, and want to argue over it. Then we’re just bickering over silliness.

That’s a little harsh.

But it strikes at the point - much of his “testing” doesn’t produce worthwhile results. When it comes to oil, what he tests is often irrelevant, and pointless, leading to misinformation and specious results.

Testing an open end wrench to destruction is entertainment, and since he ignored the weight and feel of the wrench, he isn’t measuring quality or utility, both of which matter to me. You could have a heavy, clumsy wrench that doesn’t fit into tight spaces “win“ his test and it would be the worst choice for most of us. I bought Stahlwille wrenches because they fit parts, like the 24mm fitting on an hydraulic accumulator, that other wrenches simply will not, but in his test, the Stahlwille loses.

Makita makes a great blower, but it doesn’t do well in propelling a bicycle. Since I don’t use it to propel a bicycle, should I consider his results? I’m very happy with my Makita blower.

See what I mean?

Problem is, folks take his tests as gospel, and want to argue over it. Then we’re just bickering over silliness.
I get his, but couldn't this be said with just about everything on the internet? There is always disagreement even on more "scientific" studies. Some people love a product and use with good results no matter the outcome of the review or test.

Really? I've watched a good amount of his videos and never once have I seen him lie about anything.

He isn't a research university and I think he knows that. I think that everybody knows that. He provides some tests that most people wouldn't be willing to try because not many other people are going to spend the money on one of each product in the category to find out the answer, so I appreciate what he brings to the table.

His chainsaw comparison for example is really straight forward and hard to dispute. His test of different RTV silicones I thought was fantastic. I don't see him "fabricating" results.

Not that I really have a dog in this fight but what proof do you have that he lies or makes stuff up?
You may not like the way he designs his videos but that is a very different situation.

His videos also aren't automotive specific and he often tests 5-10 different products at a time. So...not sure how he would do videos on 'actual cars'. Is the guy supposed to buy a fleet of (somehow) identical used cars to do testing on?

I mean...we all have our own preferences on nearly everything we use. Often for very subjective reasons. Even then....it is a YouTube channel.

I believe it's due to how frequently it gets misconstrued as factual and valid, just like the RAT540 blog stuff.
If you measure the wrong things, or irrelevant things, you get bad results.

In Caddy Shack, when Chevy Chase replied to the question, “How do you measure yourself against other golfers?” With “by height” it got a big laugh. It was funny because it was ridiculous.

But when Project Farm, or other Internet personalities, makes an equally ridiculous measurement, people who don’t understand how the testing should be done, what parameters are actually useful, suddenly accept “by height” as a valid answer because it is an actual, repeatable, precise measurement.

Then the contention starts…and we moderate contention.

I like his show and most times I do find it entertaining. Do I look to him for final say when I need something he's "tested"? No, but who knows when he'll have a nugget of info or a product I wasn't aware of was available that might help with a decision. I did find his wiper blade stuff helpful and I do like to watch him break things.

If you measure the wrong things, or irrelevant things, you get bad results.

In Caddy Shack, when Chevy Chase replied to the question, “How do you measure yourself against other golfers?” With “by height” it got a big laugh. It was funny because it was ridiculous.

But when Project Farm, or other Internet personalities, makes an equally ridiculous measurement, people who don’t understand how the testing should be done, what parameters are actually useful, suddenly accept “by height” as a valid answer because it is an actual, repeatable, precise measurement.

Then the contention starts…and we moderate contention.
I was a kid but even I thought it was hilarious when Rodney Dangerfield said oooh, somebody step on a duck?

How did they create those sounds back then, before the iPad?

I like his show and most times I do find it entertaining. Do I look to him for final say when I need something he's "tested"? No, but who knows when he'll have a nugget of info or a product I wasn't aware of was available that might help with a decision. I did find his wiper blade stuff helpful and I do like to watch him break things.
I watch his show often. I enjoy it.

Reactions: hrv
That’s a little harsh.

See what I mean?

I also find his testing to destruction methods to be a little, or a lot, over the top. I understand wanting to know if a tool is durable enough to survive regular use, but he goes well beyond that. It takes some critical thinking to reason through the tests that he performs on PF. Some seem to be real world, such as cutting through nails with a reciprocating saw blade. But other of his tests would never matter to me.

I typically find myself rescoring items at the final scoring, by ignoring data for tests that I consider invalid, meaningless, or not well performed. With that in mind, I do find some of his testing to be useful.

I don't even bother any longer to watch any oil testing on PF. His methods seem way too crude.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back