Oil consumption 3.6 Pentastar

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
50/50 Hwy & local
Supertech 5W30 HM syn (thicker weight to see if consumption would slow)
Noticed I’m a quart low after 4100 miles. This is becoming an ongoing issue but I’m not quite sure it’s a big deal or if it’s being caused by a mechanical issue~although engine seems fine and PCV was changed about 2 yrs ago. Is burning a quart every 4K something I should be more concerned with or is it normal for a 10 year old Jeep with 132k on the clock?

PCV is a bear to get to but it could be the problem. Some guys are getting oil in the air filter housing when theirs crapped out. If you do it yourself it's a hell of a lot easier to take off the passenger tire and remove the inner fender-well, it was for me anyway.

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
50/50 Hwy & local
Noticed I’m a quart low after 4100 miles. This is becoming an ongoing issue but I’m not quite sure it’s a big deal or if it’s being caused by a mechanical issue~although engine seems fine and PCV was changed about 2 yrs ago. Is burning a quart every 4K something I should be more concerned with or is it normal for a 10 year old Jeep with 132k on the clock?

These have bad PCV systems. Install a high-quality oil catch can, like those made by JTL, and run at least a couple of tanks of Techron Concentrate, using the entire quart bottle per tank. You can find them at NAPA. Give it time so that the intake manifold gets rid of all the oil. If you want to accelerate the process, buy yourself a couple of cans of CRC GDI Valve Cleaner, take the intake tube off the throttle body, and with someone's help, spray each can in while holding the engine at ~2500 rpm. Turn it off, let it heat soak for an hour, and then drive it for 10 minutes on the highway or at a constant speed. I know it's not a GDI engine, but CRC Valve Cleaner is mostly PEA, and it helps break off carbon deposits. I would switch to an oil with a low NOACK value. Order some M1 Euro FS 5W-30 from WM. It will take a few tanks of gas to go through the process, but you should see results.

The idea is to clean the piston rings and free them up. Most of the crud is from burnt oil that came into the combustion chamber via the PCV system. Changing to different oils won't do anything for you, and if you don't take action now, this problem will only get worse until it's irreversible.

💯 Oil catch can, J&L makes a nice one that's super easy to install.
1000007660.jpg

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
50/50 Hwy & local
I haven’t really heard of the 3.6 pentastars using much oil.

Back