2014 Grand Cherokee burning oil

Noticed I’m burning about a quart every 4-5k on my 3.6 Pentastar. The engine has 128k with a 60/40 mix of hwy and local driving. It’s been run on 5W20 since 45k. Should I try a thicker oil to see if it slows down consumption or perhaps go with a high mileage 5W20? My understanding is that these engines are not burners so I’m a little concerned. The stealership suggested it may be a head gasket issue which I’m not sure I agree with. Any particular brands of oil or weights that these engines perform well on?

By the sounds of it you been doing 7,500-10,000 mile intervals?

Drop your oil change intervals down to 5,000 and go with a high mileage oil.

try Valvoline EP full synthetic 5w-30 at 5k as mentioned above,,and good filter,Wix or Fram high end ones

Noticed I’m burning about a quart every 4-5k on my 3.6 Pentastar. The engine has 128k with a 60/40 mix of hwy and local driving. It’s been run on 5W20 since 45k. Should I try a thicker oil to see if it slows down consumption or perhaps go with a high mileage 5W20? My understanding is that these engines are not burners so I’m a little concerned. The stealership suggested it may be a head gasket issue which I’m not sure I agree with. Any particular brands of oil or weights that these engines perform well on?
Check and make sure your PCV system is functioning properly. One quart every 4-5k is not that bad to warrant a major engine repair or rebuild. I would just change the oil/filter at the time you are down a quart and maintain proper oil level.

You can buy a lifetime's worth of make up oil to equate the cost of a rebuild.

Dude, that's NOT oil burning. People with 12k engines would be thrilled if their engine used such little oil. You're looking for a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. You would have to use a quart every 1000 miles before most manufacturers consider it an oil burner. Don't change the brand or weight, you're doing great.

Back