3.6 pentastar oil question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd use a MS-6396 approved oil for the remainder of the power train warranty. PYB is a great lube and the Pentastar seems to be quite easy on oil. Just about all syn and dyno 5w20 oils have that approval. I have yet to see a 0w20. House brand usually don't.

I am surprised no one has mentioned TGMO (Toyota Genuine Motor Oil) since it is a great 0w20.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
I am surprised no one has mentioned TGMO (Toyota Genuine Motor Oil) since it is a great 0w20.

Does it meet the Chrysler spec? Or is a situation similar to Mobil 1 where it will work, but it won't keep the warranty people happy?

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
What you need for warranty compliance is a 5W-20 that is approved for Chrysler MS-6395. Mobil 1 isn't approved, but several other name brand synthetics are approved. We just got a Jeep Wrangler with the 3.6 and it will be getting PP 5W-20.

I didn't catch the Chrysler MS-6395 recommendation in the owner's manual of my 2013 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.6L and used Napa full synthetic 5w20 and a Napa filter on it's first OCI.

I'll repeat what others have recommended for effect: go with something that is MS6395 certified, and keep your receipts!! Don't want any hassles later with the dealer if something happens and they want to be schmucks and say it was your fault for not using the recommended oil. I had a 300S with the Pentastar and used Pennzoil Ultra 5W20.

Originally Posted By: Srt20
Not sure what this is all about....

5W-20 is plenty thin as it is. Go to a place that sells oil and shake the bottle. What does it feel like? Water?

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Not sure what this is all about....

5W-20 is plenty thin as it is. Go to a place that sells oil and shake the bottle. What does it feel like? Water?

If the viscosity is the same at 100*C, what's the difference other than low temp viscosity? Which I would want an easier flowing oil at 0* C or F.

Anyway, back to your original response about the motor oil 101, are you saying its incorrect? I'm not asking to be argumentative, I'm asking to learn. If that article is wrong, than I want to know.

Anyway, back to your original response about the motor oil 101, are you saying its incorrect? I'm not asking to be argumentative, I'm asking to learn. If that article is wrong, than I want to know.

When motor oil 101 was written, 0W-20 wasn't even out yet. 5W-20 was the super flowing oil at the time. Did you know that Royal Purple makes a 0W-10 ?

I didn't know that on either account.

But am I incorrect in thinking that as long as the 100*C viscosity is the same, and living in a colder climate, wouldn't I be better served by using an oil that flows better at cool and cold temps?

If I am thinking this wrong, please correct me. I'm sure I could use any oil brand, and probably about 85% of the oil viscosities on the market and be fine. But I am just looking for a change it once every 8k or 10k miles and never worry about it. Other than pulling the dipstick to check the level every so often.

If 5w-20 is the better oil for my application, then that's what I'll buy. I'm just not taking Dodges word for it. That's why I asked here, I figured there was probably some folks on here that have vehicle lubricants all figured out.

Originally Posted By: kkreit01
Oil will be the least of your concerns. Stop reading on here, and follow your manual.

Then what is the point of this forum? To talk about how good/bad of a day we had at work today?

I'm sure Mopar wants it's owners to use its oil and it's filters. I see that you are using neither....

I think what everyone is trying to say is that due to the high standards for oils today, the oils from the majors have converged considerably, as have engine designs. So unless you have a peculiar engine or circumstances, use what the manual recommends while in warranty: MS6395 approved 5W20. You want long OCI, go with a synthetic that meets the spec.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: Kuato

Does it meet the Chrysler spec? Or is a situation similar to Mobil 1 where it will work, but it won't keep the warranty people happy?

I am not sure, and am on my phone so limited. But...Lots of good charts at www.noln.net. which show many oils carry the certificatiins, or at keast qualify for them.

My Pentastar was UOAed for factory fill at 600 miles (wear metals everywhere, high flash point stuff, looked like 5w-20) and older Pennzoil 5w-30 went in. 2000 miles and Mobil 7500 5w-30 went in. UOA on the way. Dealership changed it next with whatever. Probably 5w-20 something or another. I'll sample that just for fun before I move it over to PYB 5w-20 for winter.

Pentastar doesn't seem to care one way or another yet, weight or brand.

I'm running PP 5w20 and have been happy.

My UOA here.

Not yet decided on OCI, may just change it in spring and fall or let the OLM run. It calls for conventional 5w20 and from the UOAs I've seen, I believe it would be fine. I prefer synthetic and choose to run that. Although if I stick to a spring fall schedule I may go back to pouring some dino juice, especially for summer.

I highly doubt TGMO has been tested against MS-6395. I don't think too many auto manufacturers worry if their oil meets someone elses spec, if they do they don't advertise it. There is some info on MS-6395 here.

While I like and have used 0wXX oils, I'm not sure that either of use live in a climate where we can take full advantage of them. 5wXX synthetic should already be better in the cold than conventional anyway. If you do want to use a 0wXX I don't think it would cause any issues either, warranty stuff not withstanding.

My Pentastar keeps very good control over the oil temperatures when driven normally. I don't think I've seen it over 90C yet. It also comes up to temp reasonably quickly in the winter. There is also the 2-stage oil pump that delivers more pressure when the oil is cold, I assume this must be related to protection with the thicker cold oil. Personally I think the Pentastar will live a long happy life on a major brand conventional with factory recommended OCIs.

OP here,
I went with PP 5w-20 jug, and a quart of 0w-20 (just because my local Wally World didn't have any 5w-20 quarts left). I picked up a mopar mo-349 filter from the dealer. Wally World had Fram EG filter for a couple $$ cheaper, but the dealer filter gave me better piece of mind, considering my planned OCI.

I plan on running this oil until the OLM tells me to change. So be about 8-10k miles. Unless somebody gives me a good reason to change sooner.

Thanks all for the advice.

Srt20,
Since your Durango is new I'd consider taking it to the dealership and ask them if a synthetic could be used.

When I had my Durango my dealership told me they must start using Pennzoil as a standard now.

Durango

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back