Pentastar 3.6 Oil Change Interval? Infrequently Driven, not Short Trip

As per the title I have a 2015 Dodge Caravan with the 3.6 Pentastar. In 2 years it might only see 10,000 kms which is just about what I would typically change the oil at. The vehicle is not short trip driven, just infrequently driven. But when it's driven it could see longer distance or extended highway driving.

So based on this usage, do you guys think it's safe to change the oil every 2 years? I know many recommendations go with 1 year as the typical guideline but not sure on what basis.

Thanks!

I'm coming up on 2 years this October for my 3.6L Wrangler. It might end up being changed in December if things contiune the way they have. I ignore time and go strictly by miles on mine, which is running 5K intervals. You didn't mention the oil you're using, which might change replies you get. I'd say with a good synthetic you should be fine going two years or a bit more.

It likely will be alright with any certified oil but I would likely run it with whatever synthetic is cheaper in Canada.
We have enough evidence to say that time is not a large factor in oil degradation. I've said before and I still believe the time intervals were to catch ultra short trippers with their moisture buildup.

5 year - 15,000 mi Porsche Changes (Synthetic) - Oil still good for use.
8 year - 30 hour tractor changes (Conventional) - Oil still good for use.

I personally would use a Synthetic just because the Pentastar has a reputation for being tough on timing chains. But a 24 month 10,000 km OCI wouldn't bother me. 6,200 mi on a non-turbo non-GDI isn't exactly outside a reasonable oil change. It's standard Chrysler 2010 conventional OCI length (ie 6,000 mi in USA). We have done 6,000 mi OCI with conventional on a 2010 4.7 OHC (another engine with a timing chain reputation) for 200,000 mi (or is he at 300,000 mi now?) without issue with Pennzoil Conventional. When I said Synthetic I just meant whatever you can get reasonable there. Whether it's a house brand or big name.

Last edited:
Thanks for the thoughts guys! I'm using Pennzoil Platinum 0W20, so yes a high quality synthetic. I am contemplating switching to a 0W30 or 5W30 just for the sake of simplifying my oil stash as I have 4 other vehicles to maintain. The vehicle is 2015 so well out of warranty.

I am running Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 this oil change as I got on sale. I do low mileage (7k) year average since I have owned it. I was changing every 6 months but oil still looking good. Switched to once a year. Short trips with some of it is low rpm on cruise for 5 miles. I started taking interstate for same destination instead of local roads. Anyway 5w30 has been ok. I lost little fuel mileage but that seems to be it.

2018 Grand Caravan
17800 miles

I am running Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 this oil change as I got on sale. I do low mileage (7k) year average since I have owned it. I was changing every 6 months but oil still looking good. Switched to once a year. Short trips with some of it is low rpm on cruise for 5 miles. I started taking interstate for same destination instead of local roads. Anyway 5w30 has been ok. I lost little fuel mileage but that seems to be it.

2018 Grand Caravan
17800 miles

There should be no issue running 5W30 on this engine right? If anything it should make the timing chain last longer.

Was there a noticeable hit on fuel economy?

No difference other than 5w30 shears close to a 20 grade. MPG hit was less than 1mpg according to the dash. I believe 20 grade is better overall for wear as 5w20 is more stable. People have reported same repair (followers) with both grades but seems more to a 30 grade as those were where 3.6 was first introduced with 30 grade. I haven't heard of any timing chain wear being a problem. Did see on here where one did but it had 600k on 20 grade if I remember correctly. I will be running Valvoline Maxlife Synthetic 5w20 for next 2 oil changes as I got it on sale.

2018 Grand Caravan

No difference other than 5w30 shears close to a 20 grade. MPG hit was less than 1mpg according to the dash. I believe 20 grade is better overall for wear as 5w20 is more stable. People have reported same repair (followers) with both grades but seems more to a 30 grade as those were where 3.6 was first introduced with 30 grade. I haven't heard of any timing chain wear being a problem. Did see on here where one did but it had 600k on 20 grade if I remember correctly. I will be running Valvoline Maxlife Synthetic 5w20 for next 2 oil changes as I got it on sale.

2018 Grand Caravan

So from a wear perspective, 5W20 is the best out of all the possible grades? I was running 0W20 as it's the same price as 5W20 and I figure it would have better cold performance in the winter.

I wouldn't run a high cost motor oil for that application. I'd use ST, Napa, etc and change the oil and filter once/year. I personally liked Suptertech synth 5w30 in my pentastars, but would occasionally run 5w20 in the winter. My vehicles w/ pentastars were driven more like 18K miles/year and I'd change oil every ~6K miles.

I wouldn't run a high cost motor oil for that application. I'd use ST, Napa, etc and change the oil and filter once/year. I personally liked Suptertech synth 5w30 in my pentastars, but would occasionally run 5w20 in the winter. My vehicles w/ pentastars were driven more like 18K miles/year and I'd change oil every ~6K miles.

Never thought of that, good idea as well. You're right, seems like a waste to get rid of premium synthetic every 5000 kms. I could probably just stick with a cheap conventional and only change the filter every other year.

On my Caravan I don't think I'd leave the oil in for two years unless it was stored indoors for most of the time. I'd just refill it with fresh oil after 12 months with whatever reasonably priced oil was out there. I would keep the ultra installed for 2 years. That's just my preference.

There should be no issue running 5W30 on this engine right? If anything it should make the timing chain last longer.

Was there a noticeable hit on fuel economy?
No difference that I could see, as far as mpg goes. After 5K miles PU 5W30 was still a 30 grade oil according to three UOA's that I had done using PU.

So from a wear perspective, 5W20 is the best out of all the possible grades? I was running 0W20 as it's the same price as 5W20 and I figure it would have better cold performance in the winter.
Not what I said. 5w20 is better wear protection than 5w30 according to many. 0w20 is better than 5w20 or 5w30 in extreme cold but no difference between the 20 grade after warmed up

I’d change it once a year personally. And yes 5w30 will be fine in it, I just drained 0w40 out of the van recently. Made no real noticeable difference in fuel economy.

Are you on such a tight budget where you can't afford an oil change once a year? Just change the oil once a year with any synthetic oil flavor that you like and a good quality filter and be done with it.

If looking for a good oil with great fuel mileage look at Valvoline Daily Synthetic Blend. It is made with fuel mileage in mind. My Van loves it and I get best fuel mileage with no drop in 5k whether oil or fuel mileage.

Attachments

• Val-PCMO-DailyProtection-product.jpg
    Val-PCMO-DailyProtection-product.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 12
Back