Project Farm?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Project Farm, as far as I know, is "frowned upon"
... if I had to venture a guess why: it is because he makes stuff up, flat out lies and fabricates and represents it as "technical information" (apparently he really, really, really likes Pennzoil. I don't know, I watched his Seafoam of his Ford Ranger and haven't watched anything else of his since I realized he pretty much doesn't do videos on actual cars.. hmmm) and he is basically "entertainment" and not scientific, technical info. As much as he likes to think he is with that lawnmower.

Basically, he is a no talent clown, of sorts (if you seen the movie Office Space. Cool.)

I'll stop there but I remember a thread about it months back.. nothing good happened.

By the way... whenever I see the initials PF I think of Pepperidge Farm and Goldfish snack crackers. Yum.

Edit: Watch his spins on Pennzoil (I wonder if that big long thread with the Admin-typed disclaimer about Project Farm every other post near the end is still up) and tell me he isn't in it for entertainment purposes. "The totality of the additives?" Flat-out lie. I don't watch him just like I don't watch certain other channels.. some, I do. I don't like my time wasted. He might even do a "gravity pour" test of oil out of the freezer. I'm an entertainer on YouTube and even I haven't don't that.

The contention also lies in that some feel they have the right to have their time wasted, if they choose to, and that is true as well.
2.85 million subscribers would disagree with you.

Might be worthwhile for tree trimmers and chain saws, but when it comes to the comparison of motor oils the guy is far from technical relevance especially when it comes to any new and previously uncharacterized performance metric. He’s actually putting out false information.

If you measure the wrong things, or irrelevant things, you get bad results.
In Caddy Shack, when Chevy Chase replied to the question, “How do you measure yourself against other golfers?” With “by height” it got a big laugh. It was funny because it was ridiculous.
But when Project Farm, or other Internet personalities, makes an equally ridiculous measurement, people who don’t understand how the testing should be done, what parameters are actually useful, suddenly accept “by height” as a valid answer because it is an actual, repeatable, precise measurement.
Then the contention starts…and we moderate contention.
This is the REAL bottom line.
I would like to think that BITOG members are a little more smart/educated/discerning and can separate fact from fiction and entertainment from education. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think so. I like reading the opinions other members have about PF's videos.
Sometimes the moderation can get a bit heavy-handed and often times the moderation doesn't need to be done at-all. We are all adults here and we can usually work things out among ourselves. I realize that there are exceptions, and THAT is when moderation is necessary IMO.

Since I commented on 'one of' the now deleted PF threads from last night, just have some questions regarding PF yt vids going forward.

Will all PF yt vids be deleted in the future?
Or, just the PF oil related test vids?
Or, just selected PF oil related yt videos?

Don't want to waste my time posting or commenting in PF threads if to be deleted going forward.

2.85 million subscribers would disagree with you.
Volume of views or subscribers in no way correlates with the quality of the content guys, come on.
Screen Shot 2023-04-10 at 3.28.47 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-04-10 at 3.35.23 PM.jpg

Last edited:
Since I commented on 'one of' the now deleted PF threads from last night, just have some questions regarding PF yt vids going forward.

Don't want to waste my time posting or commenting in PF threads if to be deleted going forward.
To quote the mods from a previous PF thread:
BITOG Disclaimer: The Project Farm channel states that its videos are for entertainment purposes only. Project Farm does not perform ASTM tests, nor apply industry acknowledged methods and criteria, and therefore BITOG cannot endorse the results of tests of any lubricant or filter or similar product as seen on the Project Farm channel, and cautions readers giving credence to such entertainment information.

This is the REAL bottom line.
I would like to think that BITOG members are a little more smart/educated/discerning and can separate fact from fiction and entertainment from education. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think so. I like reading the opinions other members have about PF's videos.
Sometimes the moderation can get a bit heavy-handed and often times the moderation doesn't need to be done at-all. We are all adults here and we can usually work things out among ourselves. I realize that there are exceptions, and THAT is when moderation is necessary IMO.
I think you'll be disappointed then. Here's a recent PF thread for reference:

It was removed by a moderator last night.

If you have a question about moderation, ask privately, and we’ll answer. We aren’t up for public debates on moderators decisions.

I was mainly just wondering what caused the removal as much as anything and that someone who was online at the time may know. I wasn't trying to get it put back up or get into a debate. I'll contact a mod if ever necessary.

• Sad
Reactions: hrv
Really? I've watched a good amount of his videos and never once have I seen him lie about anything.

He certainly withholds who his sponsors are and doesn't test them AFAIK. Has he tested Lucas Oil Stabilizer yet? One of the most acknowledged crappy "snake oils" here and he extolls its virtues and pretty sure he's getting paid not to test their goop....

Plus he's a "Tuber that makes a pretty good living and setting up a site mirror for his clicks here doesn't pay the bills for this website but certainly can provide a nice income hit for him...

He certainly withholds who his sponsors are and doesn't test them AFAIK. Has he tested Lucas Oil Stabilizer yet? One of the most acknowledged crappy "snake oils" here and he extolls its virtues and pretty sure he's getting paid not to test their goop....

Plus he's a "Tuber that makes a pretty good living and setting up a site mirror for his clicks here doesn't pay the bills for this website...
He has done tests with Lucas.

Wish I could tell you. It truly is case by case.

There are dozens of PF threads still open on BITOG.

Bench Grinders, Stop Leak, and Chainsaws from this year alone.

The only tests of the sort that I would find interesting on occassion are tests that heat the oil to extreme temps. But even those are done incorrectly as they don't follow the Noack process which uses a constant flow of air over it. Needless to say, it's entertaining.

I've always disliked Amsoil's use of the 4 ball wear test (they did away with it) and the other Timken type tests people use. They're pretty useless and not indicative of real-world performance.

Bench tests have to always be taken with a grain of salt. Even oxidation prediction models are often inaccurate (TFOUT for one example).

To quote the mods from a previous PF thread:....
Seen that previously and it didn't/doesn't answer or address my specific questions, or I wouldn't have asked.

The answer from a mod now seems to be, "case by case". But obviously, at least as far as the most recent PF oil vid, not acceptable.

I won't post anything related to Project Farm again, though I do enjoy the channel. I wouldn't have done it this time, but he did include a VOA on each of the tested oils and shared the results. We have a forum on those so I thought that information would be acceptable.

Seen that previously and it didn't/doesn't answer or address my specific questions, or I wouldn't have asked.

The answer from a mod now seems to be, "case by case". But obviously, at least as far as the most recent PF oil vid, not acceptable.
I think you'll find they are more likely to delete anything oil related just due to how those threads tend to go. Other topics are more likely (but not guaranteed) to survive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back