Supertech 10k oil vs 20k

Patman

Staff member
What do we know about the technical difference between the Supertech synthetic rated for 10,000 miles and the one rated for 20,000 miles? What has Warren done to make the 20k version last longer? Better base oil? Different add pack? The cost difference between the two isn't even that big.

I think someone posted the VOA(s) of the 10,000 mile Supertech full synthetic, 10,000 mile high mileage full synthetic, and the 20,000 mile advanced full synthetic in the VOA section. By looking at those numbers the high mileage synthetic looked like the best value according to some of the replies. I use the Supertech advanced 20,000 mile full synthetic 5w30 in all our vehicles, not sure if the base oils are different or not but it's only a couple dollars more than the regular 10,000 synthetic. Of course my drain intervals rarely reach 5,000 miles so any of the three would be fine for me.

I was at WM today, the ST HM 10K Full Synthetic was only $18.99/jug. If I needed any, I wouldn’t hesitate to use it. I don’t even like running M1 EP or AP over 10K!

Presumably the 20k should be formulated to resist breakdown and shear better than the 10k, none of which will you be able to see in a 30 buck VOA.

But the reality? 🤷‍♂️

Some extensive analysis of Pennzoil Platinum versus Ultra indicated significant differences between the two despite VOAs looking quite similar. That was on here recently but I don’t recall the thread title.

"That YT Channel" did VOAs with blackstone on April 9th 2023. (the date is the video, not the samples) Attached.

SUPER TECH 10k.png
SUPER TECH 20k.png

"That YT Channel" did VOAs with blackstone on April 9th 2023. (the date is the video, not the samples) Attached.

View attachment 192726View attachment 192727
The 10K looks better than the 20K, slightly higher viscosity, slightly higher TBN, even slightly higher flashpoint. Could they be roughly the same? Only VOAs on the same engine, under the same conditions & use, would really be able to show a difference.

I don't mind spending that extra amount if it's a better oil, but I'm just curious as to HOW it's better? Especially if VOAs are showing that the add pack is identical. That's why I'm wondering if is it the same add pack and just a different base oil.

I typically run very close to 10,000 mile intervals with my Civic, so I would prefer to run an oil that can technically go 20k, vs an oil that might be close to the end of it's life at that 10k point.

The 10K looks better than the 20K, slightly higher viscosity, slightly higher TBN, even slightly higher flashpoint. Could they be roughly the same? Only VOAs on the same engine, under the same conditions & use, would really be able to show a difference.
The 20k probably has better viscosity stability. Meaning the 10k should work for 10k but after that the viscosity may start to thin out too much out of grade. Whereas the 20k, if we're taking it beyond 10k, should have the ability to keep the viscosity in grade for that longer interval. So that slightly lower visc on the 20k is a better choice in the long haul beyond 10k.
I don't mind spending that extra amount if it's a better oil, but I'm just curious as to HOW it's better? Especially if VOAs are showing that the add pack is identical. That's why I'm wondering if is it the same add pack and just a different base oil.

I typically run very close to 10,000 mile intervals with my Civic, so I would prefer to run an oil that can technically go 20k, vs an oil that might be close to the end of it's life at that 10k point.
See the one example above. But I suppose it's base oil, VI's, along w/other things that set them apart. $1.51 extra for the 20k means we don't really have to struggle too much to decide LOL. IMO the 20k is the better choice knowing you want to er' on the side of caution & have a "Buffer". There are other variables, like oil grade etc., but that is not part of the discussion so I'll leave them out.

It's definitely not a struggle deciding, it's just that the oil geek in me would love to know the full technical story on these oils :p

At the same time it has me curious, since we know that Kirkland's oils are also made by Warren, is their oil the 10k version or the 20k version? Kirkland oils make no reference on the bottles as to how long they are rated for. I'd love to switch to Kirkland synthetic because when it goes on sale up here it's $40 CDN for two jugs, making it an even lower price than what it costs me for Supertech (that jug that I bought in the US for just over $20 converted to $28 CDN for me)

Last edited:
My guess is that it's the same oil in a different bottle. The VOAs are identical. They have the same certifications. Even the Dexos license numbers on the bottles are the same.

I come up with the conclusion that the marginal price difference and odd “too similar” VOA doesn’t justify actually attempting 20k on it, but somebody TOFTT and post a UOA. 😄

It's definitely not a struggle deciding, it's just that the oil geek in me would love to know the full technical story on these oils :p

At the same time it has me curious, since we know that Kirkland's oils are also made by Warren, is their oil the 10k version or the 20k version? Kirkland oils make no reference on the bottles as to how long they are rated for. I'd love to switch to Kirkland synthetic because when it goes on sale up here it's $40 CDN for two jugs, making it an even lower price than what it costs me for Supertech (that jug converted to $28 CDN for me)
I am going to assume that the Kirkland oil is more along the lines of a 10k oil. They're not claiming "Advanced" Full Synthetic & claiming no mileage on their oil so more like a basic full synthetic. Also, the prices that you're quoting shows they are probably the cheaper option compared to the more expensive 20k SuperTech in Canada.

I am going to assume that the Kirkland oil is more along the lines of a 10k oil. They're not claiming "Advanced" Full Synthetic & claiming no mileage on their oil so more like a basic full synthetic. Also, the prices that you're quoting shows they are probably the cheaper option compared to the more expensive 20k SuperTech in Canada.

Our Walmarts in Canada only have one version of Supertech actually, and it doesn't give a mileage rating on it at all. So unless I continue buying my oil from my travels in the US (which is where I got the oil I'm running now) then I really don't know for sure what version I'm getting up here. All of this lack of information is definitely frustrating for an oil nut like me :)

Our Walmarts in Canada only have one version of Supertech actually, and it doesn't give a mileage rating on it at all. So unless I continue buying my oil from my travels in the US (which is where I got the oil I'm running now) then I really don't know for sure what version I'm getting up here. All of this lack of information is definitely frustrating for an oil nut like me :)
Interesting to hear the differences just across the border. I hear you about the frustration. I'm a sponge by nature & love to soak up anything I can too. Sounds like you're better off buying from the US market since the bottles are labeled in mileage & would give you a little better idea of the quality you're getting.

If you send an email to [email protected] they will send you the msds and pds for these oils. I have the pds for the 10k hm version but I can't get it to post here. The flash point is 451f and the visc. at 100c is 10.37
Moly 40
Boron 140
Zinc 820
Calcium 1010
Magnesium 560
HTHS 3.1
This as of Aug. 2023

The msds sheets tell the percentages of the base oils used and some information as to what the base oils are according to their cas#.

Last edited:
I tried both and my non-scientific findings told me the used oil in the 20k oil pan bucket sure looked better than the 10k stuff. My engine was quieter on the 20k and less watery on the oil dipstick. The 10k looked battered / bruised / streaky / smelly, at only 3k

I sure don't recommend the 5w20s that I used (GDI / TGDI use). This was early in our HyunKia's motor life..... both engines at about 10-12k mileages on the dash odometer. Use a name-brand Patman. Oil is cheap and your vehicle is not.

Back