10,000 mile VS 20,000 mile engine oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
back then I was driving about 50,000 miles a year, so I was averaging an oil change about every 2-1/2 months... but in the last 4 years that driving situation changed , so now I am on a once a year routine with my wifes car ( she might not drive it for a couple weeks, but when she does it will get 50 or so miles or more) . I've used this stuff in 6 different vehicles now... one of them went past 300k, three of them in the high 200k range, and the others are too new to have anything to report... so yeah, it worked for me.. I know it doesn't sell well to the puritans who think anything that isn't top shelf wont work, but it sure worked well for me. This is my wifes car. 2012 V6 Camaro.. got about 94000 miles on it nowView attachment 148616

😷 Those look allot like the 70’s pony cars 😷

yeah, I am happy with it...back in the day I was driving about 50,000 miles a year, so I was averaging an oil change about every 2-1/2 months... but in the last 4 years that driving situation changed , so now I am on a once a year routine with my wifes car ( she might not drive it for a couple weeks, but when she does it will get 50 or so miles or more) . I've used this stuff in 6 different vehicles now... one of them went past 300k, three of them in the high 200k range, and the others are too new to have anything to report... so yeah, it worked for me.. I know it doesn't sell well to the puritans who think anything that isn't top shelf wont work, but it sure worked well for me. This is my wifes car. 2012 V6 Camaro.. got about 94000 miles on it nowView attachment 148616
Thanks MSCH. Very nice Camaro. Thanks for sharing the photo.

You stated you used only SuperTech Full Synthetic in these:

one of them went past 300k, three of them in the high 200k range

Please let us know what viscosity SuperTech oils you were using.
Also, were they all 10k Oil change intervals?

Thanks.

Thanks MSCH. Very nice Camaro. Thanks for sharing the photo.

You stated you used only SuperTech Full Synthetic in these:

Please let us know what viscosity SuperTech oils you were using.
Also, were they all 10k Oil change intervals?

Thanks.
for the most part every gas powered vehicle in my fleet used 5w30 supertech synthetic... only way I would have went with 10w30 would have been if no 5w30 was available.. Sorry if I can't elaborate any more than this, but this process started 20 years ago and I just changed em on on the 10's or on a birthday. .. didn't think about it, or write it down, but if the odometer rolled another 10,000, I changed the oil... I had a 98 Expedition with the 5.4. held 6 quarts of oil... so I would buy 2 five quart jugs... because the truck had used a quart of oil every 1500 to 1800 miles since I purchased it... when that second jug of oil was gone, it was time to buy 2 more jugs of it and a filter, and repeat the process. This truck preceeds the use of Walliemart synthetic, but it had oil changes in the 15000 mile range.. we traded it for a stucco job when it had 275,000 miles on it...
000_0014.jpg

for the most part every gas powered vehicle in my fleet used 5w30 supertech synthetic... only way I would have went with 10w30 would have been if no 5w30 was available.. Sorry if I can't elaborate any more than this, but this process started 20 years ago and I just changed em on on the 10's or on a birthday. .. didn't think about it, or write it down, but if the odometer rolled another 10,000, I changed the oil... I had a 98 Expedition with the 5.4. held 6 quarts of oil... so I would buy 2 five quart jugs... because the truck had used a quart of oil every 1500 to 1800 miles since I purchased it... when that second jug of oil was gone, it was time to buy 2 more jugs of it and a filter, and repeat the process. This truck preceeds the use of Walliemart synthetic, but it had oil changes in the 15000 mile range.. we traded it for a stucco job when it had 275,000 miles on it... View attachment 148666
Thanks MSCH again for the photo and for sharing your history with the vehicles. I like the green color for the GMC truck.
So, even with extended oil changes, SuperTech did a great job:

one of them went past 300k, three of them in the high 200k range

For my own vehicle maintenance, I'm thinking:
SuperTech High Mileage Full Synthetic 5W-30 is all I'll ever need.
At $21.48 for 5 quart jug, why pay more for some other oil.

Last edited:
Thanks MSCH again for the photo and for sharing your history with the vehicles. I like the green color for the GMC truck.
So, even with extended oil changes, SuperTech did a great job:

For my own vehicle maintenance, I'm thinking:
SuperTech High Mileage Full Synthetic 5W-30 is all I'll ever need.
At $21.48 for 5 quart jug, why pay more for some other oil.
yeah, its worth saying the Costco synthetic product is acknowledged to be the same thing the Walmart offering is... I've never got into that hi mileage thing, never understood it, as pretty much every vehicle I owned had hi mileage.. I went from 1995 to 2016 on used vehicles, most of them were beaters...

yeah, its worth saying the Costco synthetic product is acknowledged to be the same thing the Walmart offering is... I've never got into that hi mileage thing, never understood it, as pretty much every vehicle I owned had hi mileage.. I went from 1995 to 2016 on used vehicles, most of them were beaters...
I don't have a Costco membership, but I really like Walmart. I buy everything at Walmart from groceries, to car supplies, to anything you can buy at Amazon I buy at Walmart instead. I like the Walmart store brands - very high quality and very low prices.

Getting back to your comment on High Mileage oil, here is my understanding:
High Mileage oil treats the oil seals, to reduce the chance they will leak either internally (causing oil burning) or externally (causing stains on your driveway). It also contains some extra anti wear additives and is generally a little thicker Kinematic viscosity @ 100C then it's non High Mileage counterpart (which may imply a higher HTHS # as well, which could also provide slightly less engine wear).

I don't have a Costco membership, but I really like Walmart. I buy everything at Walmart from groceries, to car supplies, to anything you can buy at Amazon I buy at Walmart instead. I like the Walmart store brands - very high quality and very low prices.

Getting back to your comment on High Mileage oil, here is my understanding:
High Mileage oil treats the oil seals, to reduce the chance they will leak either internally (causing oil burning) or externally (causing stains on your driveway). It also contains some extra anti wear additives and is generally a little thicker Kinematic viscosity @ 100C then it's non High Mileage counterpart (which may imply a higher HTHS # as well, which could also provide slightly less engine wear).
that is the claim for the Hi Mileage oils..

That leaves out all the diesel engines too

A poorly tuned carburetor can wash down some cylinders also
Port-injection works well..... I'm not a Neanderthal. And I'd buy a diesel if I needed a tow vehicle for pulling heavy loads or as a tractor but that is an apples-and-oranges comparison. This section of the forum is "Passenger Car - Gasoline Vehicles"

The direct-injection gasoline engine seems to make too many tradeoffs unless you add port injection to go along with it. I've owned two... one of them I gave to one of my kids (Kia Rio) and it is consuming oil @ 100K and while I didn't buy that one until it had 60K, I changed oil every 3000-4000 miles on that piece of crap and it came out looking like a diesel. That is just a color thing but it sooted up.... that is for sure. My Elantra is a 2020 flavor but has a 2.0L port-injected engine that has more zip, and gets better MPG than that Rio, and is just better in every way. You would have to tear down the engines to compare but I feel pretty comfortable that any direct-injection engine is going to have much dirtier combustion chambers, rings, and valve deposits. Those things matter to me as I'm mechanically empathetic with my vehicles.

I'm avoiding direct injection, turbos, and living happily in the past. But I still change my oil at 5000-7500 miles.
I was the same way but when Ford dropped the 4.6 Panther I still wanted a V8 so went with a 5.3 Direct Injected Tahoe..So far [knock on wood at 150K miles] it has been awesome. No carbon or other issues so far and still getting good MPG. Change oil every 5K miles. Of coarse it has to have Dexos.

I let some of the police agencies in South Broward test the 5.3 Direct Injected engine out first then spoke a few of them after they got some miles on them and the few I spoke to said no issues.

Lots of GDI engines out there today that can ruin some nice lubes
I'm avoiding direct injection, turbos, and living happily in the past. But I still change my oil at 5000-7500 miles.
Nice strategy - but good luck with finding sedans , SUV's , pick ups , etc. that have not already changed out to GDI engine technology (most without the added PFI injectors -which would help balance out intake valve deposits) .

Nice strategy - but good luck with finding sedans , SUV's , pick ups , etc. that have not already changed out to GDI engine technology (most without the added PFI injectors -which would help balance out intake valve deposits) .
Stellantis still (but they are disappearing) offers some.

Point is we should not have to because the oil companies did their jobs - but the OEM’s gave us engines that dilute....
Very true......but don't forget the government mandates that force the manufacturers to increase MPG's....the government forced this tehnology on us just like they're forcing EVs on us.

We have these extended protection oils, Castrol Edge 10,000 miles VS Castrol Edge Extended Performance 20,000 Miles.

Mobil 1 10,000 VS Mobil 1 Extended Performance 20,000

What do they do to make the oil extended performance ? Is it the base stock or extra additives ?

If i'm doing 5,000 mile changes is there any advantage to using the Extended 20K version ?

Thanks
I think asking Blackstone Labs may provide an answer. They analyze thousands of oil sampls a year. They see what works.

In the EU regular 10,000 mile intervals are the norm. Same engines as USA, they are starting to follow with 20 weight oil now. I think the big difference is the gas. EU regular gas is equivalent to our 91. Most turbocharged engines here like my 1.5t say 87 octane. I think (my opinion) using premium gas will help with soot making the oil last longer.🤔

Very true......but don't forget the government mandates that force the manufacturers to increase MPG's....the government forced this tehnology on us just like they're forcing EVs on us.
Yes and no … the government did not start the HP/torque wars going on at the same time …

Agree 💯. It seems things were better back in the day
Yes, I've cut the cord, don't watch any modern TV shows.
I focus on the detective serious from the 1970's and the many TV shows from the 1950, 1960's, 1970's, 1980's, of which are freely available on youtube. It's my way to escape the garbage on today's shows.

I also will never use any oil thinner than 30 weight oil. I don't agree with the changes in the automotive industry due to CAFE. I'm also not into long OCI's of modern oil life monitors / owners manuals. Just see the dirty, sludgy, lumpy, clumpy oil that comes out of your engine drain hole after a 10k OCI. The UOA will show low wear metals, but it won't measure how badly your oil control rings / piston rings are gummed up by that dirty oil. I prefer the maintenance recommendations of the 1990's (before CAFE), where 5W-30 oils were king, and where 4k-5k/6 month OCI max was the norm. The oil in my engines will never cause sludge/varnish as it won't be in the engine long enough for that to happen.

Last edited:
Yes, I've cut the cord, don't watch any modern TV shows.
I focus on the detective serious from the 1970's and the many TV shows from the 1950, 1960's, 1970's, 1980's, of which are freely available on youtube. It's my way to escape the garbage on today's shows.

I also will never use any oil thinner than 30 weight oil. I don't agree with the changes in the automotive industry due to CAFE. I'm also not into long OCI's of modern oil life monitors / owners manuals. Just see the dirty, sludgy, lumpy, clumpy oil that comes out of your engine drain hole after a 10k OCI. The UOA will show low wear metals, but it won't measure how badly your oil control rings / piston rings are gummed up by that dirty oil. I prefer the maintenance recommendations of the 1990's (before CAFE), where 5W-30 oils were king, and where 4k-5k/6 month OCI max was the norm. The oil in my engines will never cause sludge/varnish as it won't be in the engine long enough for that to happen.
I've done plenty of 10K changes and never saw anything like this:
Just see the dirty, sludgy, lumpy, clumpy oil that comes out of your engine drain hole after a 10k OCI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back