Project Farm?

Status
Not open for further replies.
....but he did include a VOA on each of the tested oils and shared the results. We have a forum on those so I thought that information would be acceptable.
'From my observation,' that tends to be SOP with his oil comparison vids. Apparently, the other parts of the presentation outweigh any benefit of the Blackstone VOAs information.

Unlike some posters here, I never get the impression he cheats or misrepresents results. His testing is very limited and some tests are of questionable value but he seems to perform the tests with honesty and integrity. Usually I do find a thing or two in each PF video that has some relevance and information value. Hey, if you think you can do better, go for it!

In his motor oil testing, the wear scar test is interesting to me. After all, wear protection is my #1 consideration when shopping for motor oil. The evaporation test has some limited value as well. With an understanding that both these tests are performed for a very short time and do not represent the oil's performance over its entire normal service period. I consider the rest entertainment, like the cold flow races. Zero relevance in Texas.

In his motor oil testing, the wear scar test is interesting to me. After all, wear protection is my #1 consideration when shopping for motor oil. The evaporation test has some limited value as well. With an understanding that both these tests are performed for a very short time and do not represent the oil's performance over its entire normal service period. I consider the rest entertainment, like the cold flow races. Zero relevance in Texas.
The issue with the wear testing is that it's not indicative of real engine wear.

Last edited:
Might be worthwhile for tree trimmers and chain saws, but when it comes to the comparison of motor oils the guy is far from technical relevance especially when it comes to any new and previously uncharacterized performance metric. He’s actually putting out false information.
How is it "false" information? If he weighs oil samples before and after cooking them on a burner and shares his findings, how is that false? You may have decided to handle the test differently if you had been the one performing it, but that doesn't make the information of his findings to be false.

He certainly withholds who his sponsors are and doesn't test them AFAIK. Has he tested Lucas Oil Stabilizer yet? One of the most acknowledged crappy "snake oils" here and he extolls its virtues and pretty sure he's getting paid not to test their goop....

Plus he's a "Tuber that makes a pretty good living and setting up a site mirror for his clicks here doesn't pay the bills for this website but certainly can provide a nice income hit for him...
Sponsors sponsor things to get return on investment and brand exposure. You're saying he has secret sponsors that pay him to not advertise them in his videos?

He has tested Lucas Stabilizer. He's tested practically everything. All sorts of tool brands from different parent companies, everything.

Unlike some posters here, I never get the impression he cheats or misrepresents results. His testing is very limited and some tests are of questionable value but he seems to perform the tests with honesty and integrity. Usually I do find a thing or two in each PF video that has some relevance and information value. Hey, if you think you can do better, go for it!

That is the thing, while Project Farm is not completely scientific or perfect nobody else is stepping up to the plate. The cold flow doesn't lie, the bearing scar test doesn't lie, and while the evaporation test isn't perfect it doesn't lie either.

While his tests do not show the full story it does give an idea of how oils perform against each other in the same tests of which you can judge for yourself, And I think he is pretty clear about that disclaimer in his videos.

How is it "false" information? If he weighs oil samples before and after cooking them on a burner and shares his findings, how is that false? You may have decided to handle the test differently if you had been the one performing it, but that doesn't make the information of his findings to be false.
When he draws conclusions about relative quality or gives distinctions based on worthless tests then the outcomes are deceptive. That wear scar test is useless yet he draws conclusions. Likewise with the silly cold flow tests.

And I wouldn't be performing those tests, neither did I when I was testing oil.

That is the thing, while Project Farm is not completely scientific or perfect nobody else is stepping up to the plate. The cold flow doesn't lie, the bearing scar test doesn't lie, and while the evaporation test isn't perfect it doesn't lie either.

While his tests do not show the full story it does give an idea of how oils perform against each other in the same tests of which you can judge for yourself, And I think he is pretty clear about that disclaimer in his videos.
Yes, "cold flow" does lie. That test measures how the oil flows down little plastic tubes or whatever the "test" of the day may be. And the stupid evaporation test that takes the material to boiling is worthless. Neither one is representative of what actually characterizes the oil in an automobile engine. Read buster's comments above, he is right on the money.

People keep trying to legitimize his goofy tests but the science is just not there. As has been said many times he may as well be doing a taste test for all it's worth. The dude is not discovering or illustrating some property of the oil by his county fair tests that isn't already properly characterized and represented.

Last edited:
When he draws conclusions about relative quality or gives distinctions based on worthless tests then the outcomes are deceptive. That wear scar test is useless yet he draws conclusions. Likewise with the silly cold flow tests.

And I wouldn't be performing those tests, neither did I when I was testing oil.
It's a YouTube video. The conclusions aren't really for him to draw, they're for you to draw as you watch. He's just putting a test out there in the open. He isn't shoving anything down anybody's throat. The most he says at the end of the video is basically, "As a value conscious consumer, this one stuck out as the one I would choose for my own use". But he's just a dude. His endorsement isn't some scientific journal, nor has he ever acted like it is.

I think people are looking way too into this and making a mountain out of a molehill.

It's a YouTube video. The conclusions aren't really for him to draw, they're for you to draw as you watch. He's just putting a test out there in the open. He isn't shoving anything down anybody's throat. The most he says at the end of the video is basically, "As a value conscious consumer, this one stuck out as the one I would choose for my own use". But he's just a dude. His endorsement isn't some scientific journal, nor has he ever acted like it is.

I think people are looking way too into this and making a mountain out of a molehill.
Well it is probably indicative of the worth of many things on YouTube. I’ll give you that.

PF vidoes are a major source of income for him; he's monetized heavily by YouTube.
BITOG does not exist to put money into PF's pocket.
We "tolerate" his videos here on this site when it's stuff that does not directly deal with lubricants.
When it comes to lubricant testing, not one of his tests are reasonably applicable to industry standards or verified methodology; hence any PF video about lubes is sent to quarantine.

At best, his videos are entertaining. Pretty much anyone here already knows where to go find PF vidoes. There's absolutely zero reason to "repost" his content here.

If you don't want your threads taken down, then don't post PF lube-related videos here, because our stance has been made clear time after time. That said, we're done here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back