Redline 0-30W vs Amsoil 0-30W Signature

I'm a fan of AMSOIL I used it and is a great oil.
Yesterday I went to check the spec of RedLine 0-30W and I noticed that the properties are much better than AMSOIL.

First, the NOACK is 6 Redline and 8.8 AMSOIL.

HTHS is 3.3 RedLine and 3.07 AMSOIL

Pour Point, °C -60 Redline -50 AMSOIL.

I can't get the TBN value on Redline but I guess I high as AMSOIL since it has high cleaning power and they say is for extended oil change too.

both are really great oils,i would use the one that has the best deal ,,or ,,um HPL as there is a lot of information here on this site,,what kind of car,engine, type of driving uses,oil change intervals,weather i presume cold??,look at css testing if really sub zero.........

Be careful about choosing oils based on PDS, remember that it’s just marketing. Most Redline oils don’t disclose TBN because they’re not all that great.

I’d choose Amsoil if I was paying between those two, and if the Redline was given to me I sure wouldn’t attempt a long OCI without in-service UOAs to keep tabs on it as the mileage accumulated.

As facility1 noted, not only are HPL’s oils extensively documented (and tested) here on the site, @High Performance Lubricants has “lifted the skirt” pretty far to tell us a majority of what’s in their oils.

You may get POE in Redline (if P66 is still doing that), but I don’t think any of Redline’s offerings use ANs, which means it won’t clean anywhere near as well. I can’t remember if Pablo shared if SS has ANs, but either way the Amsoil’s no slouch.

On paper Red Line has always looked the best. In real world meh not really the case. I agree with Subie here.

Red Line oils do not clean. It was a myth just bc they contain POE. Red Line told me on three occasions that their oils will run clean, but not clean. Difference.

Amsoil also has their own in-house mechanical engine lab. That's a great thing to have IMO.

On paper Red Line has always looked the best. In real world meh not really the case. I agree with Subie here.

Red Line oils do not clean. It was a myth just bc they contain POE. Red Line told me on three occasions that their oils will run clean, but not clean. Difference.

Amsoil also has their own in-house mechanical engine lab. That's a great thing to have IMO.
The other dirty secret is that the P66 Redline is not the same as when they were independent. As @Foxtrot08 noted in a couple threads, P66 is terrible about updating online documents, and AFAIK ALL of the oils from Redline’s glory days have been reformulated, likely to reduce cost significantly and boost profits for the mothership.

Pour Point, °C -60 Redline -50 AMSOIL
Pour point doesn't correlate well to how well an oil flows in an engine. The CCS is more relevant, and the Amsoil has a lower CCS. It's just a thinner oil overall, which doesn't necessarily make it worse.

If you want to use Amsoil, the 5W-30 may be the better choice. It's got lower VI and NOACK, and its CCS is low for a 5W, almost low enough to be a 0W. You don't really need a 0W oil in Toronto anyway.

The other dirty secret is that the P66 Redline is not the same as when they were independent. As @Foxtrot08 noted in a couple threads, P66 is terrible about updating online documents, and AFAIK ALL of the oils from Redline’s glory days have been reformulated, likely to reduce cost significantly and boost profits for the mothership.

Nope. Not all of them have been reformulated.

Some of them yes. But for the most part the line has been added into. The redline OEM line up, is nothing more than Kendall rebranded.

Pour point doesn't correlate well to how well an oil flows in an engine. The CCS is more relevant, and the Amsoil has a lower CCS. It's just a thinner oil overall, which doesn't necessarily make it worse.

If you want to use Amsoil, the 5W-30 may be the better choice. It's got lower VI and NOACK, and its CCS is low for a 5W, almost low enough to be a 0W. You don't really need a 0W oil in Toronto anyway.
+1 what twX said. I had the same thought.

If you really want to blow a bunch of money on oil I would say get the amsoil.
Redlines claim to fame is it really expensive and it's supposed to be really clean and have remarkable cleaning abilities.
And it sounds like redline is a shadow of it's former self.
So run amsoil.

Last edited:
I'm a fan of AMSOIL I used it and is a great oil.
Yesterday I went to check the spec of RedLine 0-30W and I noticed that the properties are much better than AMSOIL.

You can't really compare how a motor oil will perform in such a cursory manner. You joined in 2008? Probably have seen some talk on this. It seems we are getting away from comparing paper marketing specifications, especially TBN. But some folks cling to that.

There is no magic oil. One might be better for your use, can't say just like the other OPINIONS here.

What does the 15K Km OCI with Mobil1 look like on your KIA Forte?

If you really want to blow a bunch of money on oil I would say get the amsoil.
Redlines claim to fame is it really expensive and it's supposed to be really clean and have remarkable cleaning abilities.
I wouldn't say "blow a bunch of money". Is Amsoil formulated so that it is "overkill" for most daily driven applications? Probably. That being said the specs and testing data backs up their claims. I've been running Amsoil with great results, but there are other brands that certainly yield great results also.

One has to wonder how much that mechanical engine lab helped Amsoil. I say that because prior to that, I was not the biggest fan of their oils. It's not that they weren't good, but the current iteration of Amsoil SS is the best oil they ever produced by far. And the lab came on board around that time.

I guess the other option is outsourcing that to SWRI and what you gain from racing.

It reminds me of that article I read where the Mobil engineer said what separates them form the smaller guys is validation testing. They can afford to do that and it's important. It seems common sense to me.

I wouldn't say "blow a bunch of money". Is Amsoil formulated so that it is "overkill" for most daily driven applications? Probably. That being said the specs and testing data backs up their claims. I've been running Amsoil with great results, but there are other brands that certainly yield great results also.
I have no doubt amsoil is the best and is over kill for most applications.

Be careful about choosing oils based on PDS, remember that it’s just marketing. Most Redline oils don’t disclose TBN because they’re not all that great.

I’d choose Amsoil if I was paying between those two, and if the Redline was given to me I sure wouldn’t attempt a long OCI without in-service UOAs to keep tabs on it as the mileage accumulated.

As facility1 noted, not only are HPL’s oils extensively documented (and tested) here on the site, @High Performance Lubricants has “lifted the skirt” pretty far to tell us a majority of what’s in their oils.

You may get POE in Redline (if P66 is still doing that), but I don’t think any of Redline’s offerings use ANs, which means it won’t clean anywhere near as well. I can’t remember if Pablo shared if SS has ANs, but either way the Amsoil’s no slouch.
what are the HPL percentages of Grp4 & Grp5

All -

We need to be clear on a few things... there is some legitimate concern about implications read between the lines ...

BITOG does not formally endorse any product(s). Further, BITOG as an entity does not directly test or otherwise confirm/deny product content or performance.

There are several sponsors of this site. Some of those sponsors are competitors to each other. It has been our experience that these sponsors exhibit the utmost professional conduct; we are very proud to have them on board and without their contributions BITOG would struggle to survive.

The members here are free to associate with any product they choose; BITOG will not formally encourage or dissuade any member from choosing and cheering the brands they deem worthy of their dollars. Please do not construe member(s) enthusiasm for any brand or product to be that of BITOG officially; that is not an appropriate connection to make.

Back