Supertech VS Redline - Project Farm

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol.gif

Not performed in engines and not the most scientific but i still enjoy his video's. He comes across has having zero agenda and being honest.

Originally Posted by wemay
Not performed in engines and not the most scientific but i still enjoy his video's. He comes across has having zero agenda and being honest.

Agreed.
thumbsup2.gif

Is that wear test even a legitimate way to compare the oils? I couldn't care less how fast the oil flows when cold.

I want to see both oils heated to 300+*F and then put them through the wear test.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
Is that wear test even a legitimate way to compare the oils? I couldn't care less how fast the oil flows when cold.

No it's not but it's not the worst video out there for fairness testing 2 oils the same way.

I was hoping he was going to show us the Redline nano-robots that fix bad Exhaust Manifolds in Hemi's and how that was superior to SuperTech's Nanobotless oil.
crackmeup2.gif

I agree cold flow not an issue for us Georgia folks
I'd love to see videos of actual engines same brand with different oils. Real engine tear down to see how well the oil performs over time

Last edited:
Let's say you were comparing these two oils in two daily driven vehicles, both with a 50/50 balance of city and highway driving. Is there any reason that one of these oils wouldn't protect it to 500k miles?

No. There no repeatability between individual tests, a subject that's completely ignored in the video.

The guy can have zero agenda and be completely honest but that doesn't mean his methodology and results are worth the bandwidth to present them.

The Redline has an HTHS of 3.7 and higher zinc so its suitable for some Euro applications. A comparison to a 0w40 would have been closer to reality.

Perhaps not as scientific as it could have been. Still at $15.98 vs $47,95. Just remember the Redline comes in gallons and the Supertech is a 5 quart. Sorry you Redline guys but when it appears to be this close I'm picking the Supertech every time.

This guy should be an Amsoil or Royal Purple salesman. LOL. I can't stand videos like this. Thanks for sharing though. I honesly think Amsoil and Redline (racing oils only) are the only boutique brands left that offer any value. Otherwise the majors have them all beat across the board.

I can't even count the number of Amsoil sales reps overy the years that would try to sell wear performance based on the 4-ball wear test.
06.gif

Let's say you were comparing these two oils in two daily driven vehicles, both with a 50/50 balance of city and highway driving. Is there any reason that one of these oils wouldn't protect it to 500k miles?

Given the same OCI, I doubt the difference would even be measurable (marginal difference) in the sense that both engines would look identical on the inside. One would be normal wear, the other would show .000000001% less wear. But for some, that is worth almost triple the price....

Originally Posted by BigCahuna
Beside the price per qt, looks like the main difference between those oils is one would help your motor get to one 1/4 of a million miles, and the other would only get it to 250,000.,,

In that case I'm picking 1/4 of a million miles!? Which oil is that?

Originally Posted by wemay

Plus he's not being sponsored by a company.

Just remember that one unlucky time when you are pulling a grade in 110F weather with no viable breakdown lane. Your radiator blows a hose. Which oil allows the longest distance traveled before catastrophic engine damage? You are parked at the airport for a week. During that time the polar anvil descends on your car for daily highs of nothing and nightly lows of negative nothing. Which oil is going to flow and retain a polar presence on your bearings? An idiot cuts you off in traffic, you go all redneck and a cross town chase ensues of redline power shifts until you abandon your license to the kindly patrol officer. You develop an injector leak and don't notice until you're a quart tall. Which oil is preferred in any of these instances. I get it. Why waste money on attributes that probably aren't ever going to be needed. OTOH spending an extra $300 over the course of a quarter million miles and possibly protecting an engine and its multi thousand dollar price tag may be worth it. May not be. Depends on the individual and their financial circumstances or their risk averse tendencies.

Last edited:
Good video. Thanks for posting. I'll always go for the supertech in my situation. If I did have a racecar, I would give the redline a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back