Supertech 10k oil vs 20k

It's definitely not a struggle deciding, it's just that the oil geek in me would love to know the full technical story on these oils :p

At the same time it has me curious, since we know that Kirkland's oils are also made by Warren, is their oil the 10k version or the 20k version? Kirkland oils make no reference on the bottles as to how long they are rated for. I'd love to switch to Kirkland synthetic because when it goes on sale up here it's $40 CDN for two jugs, making it an even lower price than what it costs me for Supertech (that jug that I bought in the US for just over $20 converted to $28 CDN for me)
I don’t think anyone really knows what the difference is/or if there is a difference. Is it just a simple cash grab and advertising niche (because as far as I know there are no regulations against claims that an oil is a 20,000 mile oil). They don’t seem to have to meet any sort of extra industry standard, or have to prove anything. And they clearly cover themselves with disclaimers against factory drain intervals/warranty/etc. So, temporary until someone cares enough to require some sort of proof or documentation that they do something ”special” to the oil to make it “better” than the other oil, I don’t think we’ll know.

But there is a thread on this very subject (and about this very same oil brand), and it’s interesting because someone did a UOA on the oil, BUT I think they only went 10,000 miles. And that’s the rub, not many will go 20,000 miles...these oil marketing folks know that.

Based on the Blackstone Lab VOAs comparisons I've seen, most specifically those identified/shown in this thread, I wouldn't (and don't) pay more for the 20k mile version. I use ST 10k Syn, with the 20k version only of interest out of curiosity to compare the WM shelf price difference. Further, no plan to run the oil 20k miles anyway. I assume Kirkland and Amazon Basics is ST Syn 10k version by another name. What I read here in favor of the 20k version, 'to me' read like vague points with no proven facts behind them.

If you send an email to [email protected] they will send you the msds and pds for these oils. I have the pds for the 10k hm version but I can't get it to post here. The flash point is 451f and the visc. at 100c is 10.37
Moly 40
Boron 140
Zinc 820
Calcium 1010
Magnesium 560
HTHS 3.1
This as of Aug. 2023

The msds sheets tell the percentages of the base oils used and some information as to what the base oils are according to their cas#.
This is one of the things that annoys me about store brands - you gotta hunt around to get information. If one wants information on M1, PZ, QS, VL, etc. it is all on the website. I just stick to the big boys even in old beaters.

I am the resident SuperTech fanboy and am here to present oil reports of ST FS, Advanced and High Mileage. I also included Castrol Edge, Pennzoil Ultra Platinum and Mobil1 Extended Protection for comparison. All done in Ford Ecoboost high output 440 horsepower engine.

Screenshot_20231215_144543_Drive.jpg

Screenshot_20231215_144522_Drive.jpg
Screenshot_20231215_144505_Drive.jpg
Screenshot_20231215_144445_Drive.jpg
Screenshot_20231215_144429_Drive.jpg
Screenshot_20231215_144405_Drive.jpg

Someone already said it, but the HM 10K oil seems to be the best buy here.

Yes, it will be fine in vehicles with less than 75K......
Yeah I want to say I agree because won’t the HM oil contain some esters to swell the seals a bit? I could be wrong about that.

This is one of the things that annoys me about store brands - you gotta hunt around to get information. If one wants information on M1, PZ, QS, VL, etc. it is all on the website. I just stick to the big boys even in old beaters.
Not true. Which of the majors has their moly content etc. listed on their website? They may have zinc or possibly calcium but that is usually it. Valvoline does a descent job. I admit.While I am by no means a huge supporter of ST, Highline Warren does a very good job of giving information to those that ask. The MSDS gives the percentages of each base oil used and what base oil it is. What major does this? Write to Shell or Mobil and ask what percentage of cas# 64742-54-7 is in their synthetic oils. I would guess you would not get a number.HW gives this number. If you go to Shells site you may not be able to find up to date info. It may be from 2 or 3 years ago. While it may still be accurate it may also be wrong. How do you know? HW does a good job of giving you the most up to date info. Again. I am by no means a huge supporter of ST or HW I also know that from what I have seen on the majors sites they could tell more than they do.

Not true. Which of the majors has their moly content etc. listed on their website? They may have zinc or possibly calcium but that is usually it. Valvoline does a descent job. I admit.While I am by no means a huge supporter of ST, Highline Warren does a very good job of giving information to those that ask. The MSDS gives the percentages of each base oil used and what base oil it is. What major does this? Write to Shell or Mobil and ask what percentage of cas# 64742-54-7 is in their synthetic oils. I would guess you would not get a number.HW gives this number. If you go to Shells site you may not be able to find up to date info. It may be from 2 or 3 years ago. While it may still be accurate it may also be wrong. How do you know? HW does a good job of giving you the most up to date info. Again. I am by no means a huge supporter of ST or HW I also know that from what I have seen on the majors sites they could tell more than they do.
It is absolutely true with some respects. I don’t really care about the exact Molly or Zinc content to be honest. Fully formulated is fully formulated. I’ll let them figure that out.

What is the KV@100 for ST Advanced (20K) 0W20 vs ST (10K) 0W20? Only place I can find it on line is in the BITOG - VOA sub… that is third party provided info. I’m looking to mitigate some delusion… So are they Warren Oil or Highline Warren Oil now? Who bought who? But, don’t Google Search just Warren or you’ll get Warren Distribution which is something completely different…. This is what I mean. I have no desire to do research on the ins and outs of a company just to get information on specific product that I am trying to use…

I emailed HW and asked for a PDS on both ST 0W20 oils, by part number, and they just kept sending me the safety data sheet which doesn’t have the info I asked for. I have M1 0W16 in the van and PP 0W20 on deck. I can find the info I need on both websites in about five seconds. Both PDS and MSDS.

It is absolutely true with some respects. I don’t really care about the exact Molly or Zinc content to be honest. Fully formulated is fully formulated. I’ll let them figure that out.

What is the KV@100 for ST Advanced (20K) 0W20 vs ST (10K) 0W20? Only place I can find it on line is in the BITOG - VOA sub… that is third party provided info. I’m looking to mitigate some delusion… So are they Warren Oil or Highline Warren Oil now? Who bought who? But, don’t Google Search just Warren or you’ll get Warren Distribution which is something completely different…. This is what I mean. I have no desire to do research on the ins and outs of a company just to get information on specific product that I am trying to use…

I emailed HW and asked for a PDS on both ST 0W20 oils, by part number, and they just kept sending me the safety data sheet which doesn’t have the info I asked for. I have M1 0W16 in the van and PP 0W20 on deck. I can find the info I need on both websites in about five seconds. Both PDS and MSDS.
It is HighlineWarren. Warren oil company is a different company that is in no way connected. Warren Distribibution is the WARREN part Highline Warren.It is the same company.I have sds from HW and they state the kv100 stated as the 100 CST which for the 10k hm is 10.37. The 40 CST. is 58.44. I have had no problem getting info from them. You can also go to www.mag1.com which is HW own brand and find most of the information you seek because they are in many instances identical to ST. It also depends on what you ask for. Contact HW and ask for the product data sheet and the product SAFETY data sheets for the products you want.

Last edited:
Warren Distribution is HW. It is the same company.I have sds from HW and they state the kv100 stated as the 100 CST which for the 10k hm is 10.37. The 40 CST. is 58.44. I have had no problem getting info from them. You can also go to www.mag1.com and find most of the information you seek because they are in many instances identical to ST. It also depends on what you ask for. Contact HW and ask for the product data sheet and the product SAFETY data sheets for the products you want.
That looks a lot like a 5W30. I requested 0W20, so good for you, but that doesn’t really help me.

I did email them and repeatedly asked for the product data sheet by name. Apparently the person/s with customer support didn’t understand what I was asking for. As stated before, too much of a pain. You’re kind of proving my point, giving me all these hoops to jump through just to get the correct information.

I’m not going to hunt around for the info and guess if other similar oils match, I’ll just stick with PZ and M1. ✌️

I don’t think anyone really knows what the difference is/or if there is a difference. Is it just a simple cash grab and advertising niche (because as far as I know there are no regulations against claims that an oil is a 20,000 mile oil). They don’t seem to have to meet any sort of extra industry standard, or have to prove anything. And they clearly cover themselves with disclaimers against factory drain intervals/warranty/etc.
Yeah, they can put whatever mileage rating they want on the bottle if they include that disclaimer. If an auto manufacturer specs a synthetic API SP oil and 20k mile drain intervals, any synthetic oil that meets the API SP standard can claim that it is suitable for that mileage.

The reason both versions of this oil exist is due to an old marketing trick called the Decoy Effect. Essentially you're made to think "Twice as good for only an extra $1.50? What a great value". They just made your purchasing decision easier while selling you the same product for a higher markup.

That looks a lot like a 5W30. I requested 0W20, so good for you, but that doesn’t really help me.

I did email them and repeatedly asked for the product data sheet by name. Apparently the person/s with customer support didn’t understand what I was asking for. As stated before, too much of a pain. You’re kind of proving my point, giving me all these hoops to jump through just to get the correct information.

I’m not going to hunt around for the info and guess if other similar oils match, I’ll just stick with PZ and M1. ✌️

It’s not going to look different.

Yeah I want to say I agree because won’t the HM oil contain some esters to swell the seals a bit? I could be wrong about that.
Well, I understand it is used to condition old seals. Valvoline has in their FAQ that it is perfectly safe to use their HM products in even a brand new vehicle.

I can tell you from experience that my company uses it from day 1 on our fleet vehicles.

Had a Ford Fusion and now a Ford Escape that have had nothing but Maxlife since factory fill got dumped.

From Valvoline: https://www.valvolineglobal.com/en/oil-types-weights-viscosity-faq/

DO I HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL MY CAR REACHES 75,000 MILES BEFORE I CAN USE MAXLIFE?​

Valvoline MaxLife motor oil is designed for high mileage vehicles of 75,000 miles or more. However, it is perfectly acceptable to use the high mileage motor oil in new or used vehicles with less than 75,000 miles.

Well, I understand it is used to condition old seals. Valvoline has in their FAQ that it is perfectly safe to use their HM products in even a brand new vehicle.

I can tell you from experience that my company uses it from day 1 on our fleet vehicles.

Had a Ford Fusion and now a Ford Escape that have had nothing but Maxlife since factory fill got dumped.

From Valvoline: https://www.valvolineglobal.com/en/oil-types-weights-viscosity-faq/

DO I HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL MY CAR REACHES 75,000 MILES BEFORE I CAN USE MAXLIFE?​

Valvoline MaxLife motor oil is designed for high mileage vehicles of 75,000 miles or more. However, it is perfectly acceptable to use the high mileage motor oil in new or used vehicles with less than 75,000 miles.
No, I wasn't saying it's a problem that it has esters in it and swells seals, I was saying it's a benefit. At any mileage. IMO.

Did the 20,000 mile supertech oil get canceled? it's not listed anymore on walmart website

Did the 20,000 mile supertech oil get canceled? it's not listed anymore on walmart website

I can still see it there when I check their site. And when I bought mine a few weeks ago they had a good amount of it still in stock, so it didn't look like it was being phased out.

Finally able to get a hold of these from HW. It took quite a bit of explaining and re-explaining… It doesn’t look like there is a difference in the add packs based the data sheets (0W20 version anyways.) The comp percentages could be different but they don’t list them explicitly - it is just a range.

I’d just go with the cheaper version and rock on.

Attachments

• IMG_5779.jpeg
    IMG_5779.jpeg
    106.1 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_5778.jpeg
    IMG_5778.jpeg
    107.8 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_5775.jpeg
    IMG_5775.jpeg
    104.9 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_5774.jpeg
    IMG_5774.jpeg