Self checkouts-honest mistakes?!

Is there such a thing as a happy Walmart shopper? The only reason to shop there is it's cheap, certainly not for the experience.

A couple of the WalMart Supercenters near me have implemented an all-self service checkout layout with 34 - 40 stations with roaming WalMart assistants. This makes shopping at WalMart a much nicer experience since there are always numerous registers open. I have yet to encounter a wait except on Black Friday morning. For the uninitiated, here is an article with embedded videos that show and explain the new efficient layout:

All Self-Service Checkout at WalMart

The one thing I do like about self checkouts is that it’s almost always a single line that feeds into multiple devices. There’s nothing more frustrating than being stuck in a line behind someone really slow, or who is asking for something like a price check. Or worrying about choosing the right line.

As much as Fry’s Electronics had a bad reputation, the single line wasn’t a problem.

As much as Fry’s Electronics had a bad reputation, the single line wasn’t a problem.
I see this in a lot of mid-volume stores, i.e. TJ Maxx, Micro Center, etc where they have a checkout "counter" with 4-6 registers but everyone funnels through the same line. Then you get the "I'll take the next person..." from the cashier who just finished with a customer.

This seems to be one area where house loses.

Today I witnessed a senior moving items from his cart, directly to the bags.

His ruse was he was talking on his cell.

Of course the weight was mismatched, and so it appeared some young grocery employee overrides it? At which point the senior announces, “It’s good now. Whatever it was doing before it’s fine.”

I’m sure it’s all in 2160p and he likely used a CC. But those for removing self checkout say these grifters will say it was an honest mistake. Obviously it’s not the same as putting items into one’s pocket and leaving the store.

Even costco assumes theft now. They are checking items upon leaving the self checkout area. Then, it’s checked again at the door. At least the one where it go does that.
Blatant robbery ? How else to describe this one I saw in progress? Appeared to be with store employee's help.
This WalMart has armed city police for security. I did the safe / smart thing. I played as if nothing happened.
I was waiting with (3-4) folks in front and just one in back of me in a self check WalMart line about 0230pm. There were (4) registers in use and one right near me with a sign that said "Do Not Use" Out Of Order." So I am just waiting my turn. I can almost feel as if I am being pushed from behind. So as I turn, a woman a bit younger than me with a basket full just about pushing against me points at the "Out of Order" register. I just politely tell her "that machine is out of order." She smuggly signals again for me to step aside!? So I just moved right over thinking "I have got to see this stunt." She moves past me and I try to act like i am not too interested. She commences to act just like she is checking her products and she bags them all and places them in the basket. She finishes right there in front of me and proudly walks right up to the greeter / reciept checker and plays as if she is showing something to the WalMart employee. About that time the City Policeman / part time security man walks by and smiles and greets them as if he may even know them. Pretty obvious theft in front of everyone and appeared with help of employees made me wonder "how much of this going on all over the place?"

I see this in a lot of mid-volume stores, i.e. TJ Maxx, Micro Center, etc where they have a checkout "counter" with 4-6 registers but everyone funnels through the same line. Then you get the "I'll take the next person..." from the cashier who just finished with a customer.

I rather like that. I've seen that in fast food places where it's a single line even with 3-4 registers. I've been to a store where there literally were hurt feelings (and the potential for a fight) over what happened when a register opened and the cashier said "next up" where people were jumping to be the first. When everyone jumps in the same line and waits for an available register, I think it works better.

We have absolutely turned into a third world banana republic.

Where all paying for it everywhere in the form of higher prices. Walmart still isn't loosing money.

I rather like that. I've seen that in fast food places where it's a single line even with 3-4 registers. I've been to a store where there literally were hurt feelings (and the potential for a fight) over what happened when a register opened and the cashier said "next up" where people were jumping to be the first. When everyone jumps in the same line and waits for an available register, I think it works better.
One would think Costco would know better, but they do this all the time. Once I was directed to a lane and it seemed ok, then some guy accused me of cutting. Because of his demeanor I stood my ground. Maybe in a different Costco I wouldn’t have cared. And I had 1 item so I wasn’t about to simply say ok you go ahead with your 500 items. I don’t know who was really next just that an employee directed me there.

Thats what happens when wages go up and up.....the stores figure a way to save..so now you see self checkouts increasing with more and more of them in stores...Seeing them also at a lot of fast food places now...

Years and years ago (30) I always felt uncomfortable at Bruegger’s bagels. Since I was “only” getting coffee, I was told to cut in front of all the people ordering bagels. Well, inevitably true, makes sense for say 5 ahead still waiting for their product and to be served, but not for the 6th at the head who just got their product and now waiting to pay for their bagel. I tried my best to yield if this happened. Maybe a coffee only line would have made more sense.

Thats what happens when wages go up and up.....the stores figure a way to save..so now you see self checkouts increasing with more and more of them in stores...Seeing them also at a lot of fast food places now...

My mood usually controls my interaction with the greeter / reciept police.

Walmart has your facial ID now with their new systems. If you are caught stealing then your facial ID will be tagged and any Walmart you enter will alert security.

Walmart is not the only store with troubles. Costco has their fair share of thieves as well. I’m sure all the other store chains including Costco have or will soon have the same facial ID system. Kroger has it.
It's really intriguing how much facial recognition has advanced. Even with a beard and/or glasses the software will recognize you.

They have to do their jobs, but they could have been a lot nicer about it. They should act as if it's an honest mistake rather than assume you're a thief.

Of course the thieves also act like it's an honest mistake.... And they get loads of those. It's experience that colours their response.

I don't use self checkout if I can in any way avoid it.

I'm not a thief and I love them as I'm faster than most cashiers, and would rather see labor dollars spent on the sales floor filling holes on the shelves and assisting customers. How do you reconcile that?

Bet you aren't faster than our cashiers. They're all german trained it seems. I can't bag the items as fast as they get scanned.

Considering those self checkout machines are asking for tips now i don't care what happens to the company.
I've heard/seen this claim on the internet, Facebook, etc but have never seen a picture of this in actuality or seen it myself.
I haven't seen or heard of this happening in any retail store self check out and we use them all.
I dont know if I can say this about the machines asking for donations to a cause, sometimes seems like almost every payment system lately is asking.
My wife and I always use self check outs. We dont use cash and most times do not use physical credit cards. Just pay for our phone or Apple Watch.

Years and years ago (30) I always felt uncomfortable at Bruegger’s bagels. Since I was “only” getting coffee, I was told to cut in front of all the people ordering bagels. Well, inevitably true, makes sense for say 5 ahead still waiting for their product and to be served, but not for the 6th at the head who just got their product and now waiting to pay for their bagel. I tried my best to yield if this happened. Maybe a coffee only line would have made more sense.

Over the years I’ve been a customer at restaurants where it’s order at the register, and that had house rules about bypassing the line. Especially ones with long waits in line where the house rule was that anyone who was served before could cut in line to order something else. Man that could get some people angry if they didn’t know the rule, and still angry when informed of the house rule by an employee. One place the co-owner (a very famous restaurateur) just went to the front, but other times I saw her just wait in line and talk to customers to get a feel for what people liked.

There’s this place in LA known for sandwiches and cheap coffee. I was just killing some time and waited in a really long line. But they had an express register (for anything that didn’t have an order of hot food from the kitchen) at the end which ended up serving me anyway as I snaked through the line, since there was nobody else waiting expressly for the express register. After I only ordered coffee and a cold side, the server/cashier said I could have just gone straight to the express register. But I saw it and just wanted to be there as an experience.

Last edited:
Of course the thieves also act like it's an honest mistake.... And they get loads of those. It's experience that colours their response.
Its still stupid.

The thief won't care if you mistreated him - he will still come back - to steal some more.

The honest person will be rightfully offended, and may not come back. Given there the ones subsidizing the thief in the end, treating them like one is still stupid all the way around.

When are these stores going to learn they're losing more than they're saving with these self checkouts? The honest customers hate them, the thieves love them. Everyone loses with these stupid things.
I think they're great, and always go with self check if it's an option. In grocery stores I shop less at stores that don't offer it.

And I do all the shopping for our household.

Theft is normalized now, that's the problem.
One inventive and sly employee assisted retail store crime I have seen a report on is the WalMart "cash back" scheme. I am sure it likely has caught on at many other stores by a host of teen age n younger adult employees who can not help themselves. They can not help it but must constantly brag to everyone via the latest curse of humanity, known simply as (social media) in this day and age.
So the "cash back" scheme is about as simple as they come.
Employee at register flags one of her accomplices who are always close and on standby to jump into the check out line behind this person with huge order , plenty unruly kids she is watching or who looks like they have lots of money. Checker instantly goes from angry , dont want to be here employee face/attitude to the "hi and welcome to our store , isnt it a wonderful day? Did you find all the products you needed?"..... employee who is trying to now confuse or catch off guard the customer as she is checking out her purchases in hopes this customer is going to be too distracted to look too close at her store reciept. Why? Because the store checker has typed in the "cash back" option to the tune of anywhere from $20 to $100. This way when customer leaves , accomplice simply moves up next to check out a news paper, a bag of M&Ms, soda or bubble gum etc.... and to recieve her reciept with the cash concealed, under handed (attempts to hide from camera) the "cash back" charged to previous customer's credit or debit card.

Back