Self checkouts-honest mistakes?!

There are some really oddball frauds going on with self-checkout. There was one guy who was eventually caught, who would make UPC labels for Lego sets. They would typically be for less expensive ones, but then he'd find really expensive sets and then place the less expensive ones. Then he'd sell the sets on Craigslist or eBay for less than retail price but more than what he paid.

It worked even if someone asked to see the receipt because often it would just note "Lego" or something similar, and security might not even have a close look at the box. And I've seen real items where there was an actual replacement UPC sticker over the original for one reason or another. Sometimes it was something imported and where there was a different item.

There are some things that can't be purchased at self-checkout because of age restrictions.

I have seen have some interesting cases, like stuff I've seen in the clearance section of a store and where there's a label indicating half or 75% off. But it had to be done manually. An employee would have to sign in and change that.

I have had some interesting things going on with loyalty programs and self checkout. It's supposed to be automatic but sometimes the programming is off and I don't get it immediately. I recently had something like that where I did choose a "digital coupon" but it just wouldn't work. The employee just said you can have it for $5, although the price with the coupon was a little bit more. But the receipt said something like "customer loyalty" or something like that. Once I had this special for canned soda where it was 4 12-packs for $10 if a digital coupon was loaded, but $12 otherwise. I noticed that afterwards and went to customer service. It was mix and match with different brands (Coke, 7-Up, Pepsi) but at customer service the clerk said they were having problems with the programming when brands were mixed and I was given $2. Didn't quite cover the difference in sales tax, but I wasn't going to push that.

One inventive and sly employee assisted retail store crime I have seen a report on is the WalMart "cash back" scheme. I am sure it likely has caught on at many other stores by a host of teen age n younger adult employees who can not help themselves. They can not help it but must constantly brag to everyone via the latest curse of humanity, known simply as (social media) in this day and age.
So the "cash back" scheme is about as simple as they come.
Employee at register flags one of her accomplices who are always close and on standby to jump into the check out line behind this person with huge order , plenty unruly kids she is watching or who looks like they have lots of money. Checker instantly goes from angry , dont want to be here employee face/attitude to the "hi and welcome to our store , isnt it a wonderful day? Did you find all the products you needed?"..... employee who is trying to now confuse or catch off guard the customer as she is checking out her purchases in hopes this customer is going to be too distracted to look too close at her store reciept. Why? Because the store checker has typed in the "cash back" option to the tune of anywhere from $20 to $100. This way when customer leaves , accomplice simply moves up next to check out a news paper, a bag of M&Ms, soda or bubble gum etc.... and to recieve her reciept with the cash concealed, under handed (attempts to hide from camera) the "cash back" charged to previous customer's credit or debit card.

That would only work once as they are caught on camera at the checkout.

One inventive and sly employee assisted retail store crime I have seen a report on is the WalMart "cash back" scheme.
This would only work with debit cards used in debit mode, which is a small proportion of purchases (unless the customer wants cash back).

Several things happen that would alert the customer-- the pedestal display says "cash back", the cash register drawer opens, and the receipt says cash back. If you use a debit card and the register drawer opens, something is wrong.

The rest of the elaborate story about having a friend next in line is not necessary at all, since after the scheme has been perpetrated, the cash drawer now contains more money than the computer says it should, and the cashier can claim it any time before the drawer is counted at the end of the shift.

By far the most common scheme involving a shopper in cohorts with a crooked cashier is that they will let their friend have items without ringing them up. This was the original reason for receipt checking, to keep the cashiers honest.

That would only work once as they are caught on camera at the checkout.
Of course criminals, they just always seem to get caught, No matter how inventive or even far fetched the crimes are. Its just a shame some of those innovative (even smart) younger people were never taught by someone who cared enough about them to use their skills to go out into the world and do some good for humanity.

How about when the merchant does it in reverse? Routinely Shop R***, when you buy the $1.99/lb spare ribs on sale, there's extra cartilage included under the rack. Another store near us, H M*** always did that, they'd throw extra fat into the package. At what point does dishonestly get dealt with....

How about when the merchant does it in reverse? Routinely Shop R***, when you buy the $1.99/lb spare ribs on sale, there's extra cartilage included under the rack. Another store near us, H M*** always did that, they'd throw extra fat into the package. At what point does dishonestly get dealt with....

H Mart?

FWIW I worked in a meat market for a while when I was in high school and we cut up all of the meat there and packaged it ourselves instead of selling the factory packaged stuff. People where always asking us for the extra fat so that they could use it in their bird feeders or some such. We just got the point that we'd throw the excess fat into some of the packages but we never charged for it. The charge was based on the weight of the meat only. The fat that we added was added after the meat was placed in the package and the package was weighed, and before we wrapped it. It was plainly visible and people could buy packages with or without the extra fat.

That was one of the many jobs that I had as a teenager and that I'd largely forgotten about until you mentioned this. That meat market paid for my first motorcycle,, at $1.00 per hour!

Thats what happens when wages go up and up.....the stores figure a way to save..so now you see self checkouts increasing with more and more of them in stores...Seeing them also at a lot of fast food places now...
Aren't some fast food places doing away with cooks? They have at least one robo fast food vending machine at an outdoor food court in the city. A non-human worker prepares your meal and it comes out of a hatch.

You probably only need a human for the final assembly, but that can be automated as well. I'm sure the technology has been there for a long time but the customers probably wanted their food to have some form of human touch. After the lockdowns we don't really mind how the food is prepared so we might see a lot of changes in the junk food industry.

This would only work with debit cards used in debit mode, which is a small proportion of purchases (unless the customer wants cash back).

Several things happen that would alert the customer-- the pedestal display says "cash back", the cash register drawer opens, and the receipt says cash back. If you use a debit card and the register drawer opens, something is wrong.

The rest of the elaborate story about having a friend next in line is not necessary at all, since after the scheme has been perpetrated, the cash drawer now contains more money than the computer says it should, and the cashier can claim it any time before the drawer is counted at the end of the shift.

By far the most common scheme involving a shopper in cohorts with a crooked cashier is that they will let their friend have items without ringing them up. This was the original reason for receipt checking, to keep the cashiers honest.
That shopper who I told about in #84 post had to be in cahoots with the reciept checker greeter and maybe even the security. I watched her "fake-scan" and then bag each item from her whole cart in front of me with the sign "out of Order!" on that register.
Of course no one paying attention but me it seemed. Then I watched as the reciept checker/greeter walked up and they fist bumped and talked like they knew each other without the shopper even trying to show any fake reciept. I guess if someone watches the films on a random schedule they would see that. It just amazed me how arrogant and sure of themselves they seemed to be.

Came across a YouTube in Lake Co FL, where 3 women were in a Walmart security office. Busted for stealing $31 of goods. Imho rather petty on the part of Walmart, because they gave a huge cart of stuff they did pay for…

Came across a YouTube in Lake Co FL, where 3 women were in a Walmart security office. Busted for stealing $31 of goods. Imho rather petty on the part of Walmart, because they gave a huge cart of stuff they did pay for…

So they didn’t scan certain products in their cart? It’s still theft. The cameras would show the intent to not scan.

Back