Self checkouts-honest mistakes?!

This seems to be one area where house loses.

Today I witnessed a senior moving items from his cart, directly to the bags.

His ruse was he was talking on his cell.

Of course the weight was mismatched, and so it appeared some young grocery employee overrides it? At which point the senior announces, “It’s good now. Whatever it was doing before it’s fine.”

I’m sure it’s all in 2160p and he likely used a CC. But those for removing self checkout say these grifters will say it was an honest mistake. Obviously it’s not the same as putting items into one’s pocket and leaving the store.

Even costco assumes theft now. They are checking items upon leaving the self checkout area. Then, it’s checked again at the door. At least the one where it go does that.

This seems to be one area where house loses.

Today I witnessed a senior moving items from his cart, directly to the bags.

His ruse was he was talking on his cell.

Of course the weight was mismatched, and so it appeared some young grocery employee overrides it? At which point the senior announces, “It’s good now. Whatever it was doing before it’s fine.”

I’m sure it’s all in 2160p and he likely used a CC. But those for removing self checkout say these grifters will say it was an honest mistake. Obviously it’s not the same as putting items into one’s pocket and leaving the store.

Even costco assumes theft now. They are checking items upon leaving the self checkout area. Then, it’s checked again at the door. At least the one where it go does that.
Being newer to Costco and Sam's Club I have never known either chain not to check receipts.
BTW Costco was in the media just the last week, they do not have a theft problem. These are Clubs that people pay to join and I suspect that and checking receipts solves the problem with thefts. One must also acknowledge members of these clubs Sam's Club and Costco are above the median income level of the USA.

One must keep in mind because I can see this thread turning into a debate. When you become a club member you are a member of a club who part of your membership is allowing a store employee to check your receipt as you leave. I accept that and its part of a club membership.
You can not be stopped at a public retail store for a receipt check, of course you have the option to allow them to check, but that is up to you. IN order to be physically stopped you have to be accused of a crime and of course if you are accused and they are wrong you have legal means to seek satisfaction.

I probably go the other way - if I spot an item left in the basket - go back and pay … if I forget the 2 bags of overpriced ice I paid for - just hit a quick stop for some ice …

Last edited:
Being newer to Costco and Sam's Club I have never known either chain not to check receipts.
BTW Costco was in the media just the last week, they do not have a theft problem. These are Clubs that people pay to join and I suspect that and checking receipts solves the problem with thefts. One must also acknowledge members of these clubs are above the median income level of the USA.

One must keep in mind because I can see this thread turning into a debate. When you become a club member you are a member of a club who part of your membership is allowing a store employee to check your receipt as you leave. I accept that and its part of a club membership.
You can not be stopped at a public retail store for a receipt check, of course you have the option to allow them to check, but that is up to you. IN order to be physically stopped you have to be accused of a crime and of course if you are accused and they are wrong you have legal means to seek satisfaction.
I do know Costco has always been said to have 1/10 the industry benchmark on shrinkage. They’ve never stated it, it’s industry analysts who have.

In my younger days I have tested “security” and true they cannot grab a person, only LE can. I have walked right out the door with one shouting at me to halt. Following them back in to a back room is silly but many would.

Here you go, straight from the Costco's CFO =
interesting it went up after putting in self checkout, and it seemed the CFO said it is still not where it was pre self checkout, but had come down. I guess I wasn’t dreaming about what seems to be a 2 check, self checkout…

The only Costco I go to will have soccer moms filling a Yukon Denali or BMW SUV etc … not the same as Walmart in the hood …
Walmart? Its not a warehouse club

We belong to both Sams Club and Costco. Without question Costco seems to carry many more high end products from furniture, to food items and everything in-between. One thing I like are their electronics, they are an Apple Re-seller and have a nice line of their products.
Over all shopping experience at Costco is more pleasant, higher end products, less and smaller JUNK FOOD isles.
Demographics of a Costco shopper is higher income. Recently the average shopper in Costco reported in the media is 39 year old Asian American woman with an income of $125k

With that said, Sams Club at times has some items that Costco doesnt. My wife and eat pretty healthy so between the two we can get what we want. An example would be certain types of Salmon or trout one store might have over the other. Also frozen flounder, many times with the flounder I give a thumbs up to Sam's Club.

Income Demographics of a Sam's Club buyer is lower than at Costco but still much higher than the median income in the USA.
I'll agree I do get turned off by the endless isles of JUNK FOOD in Sam's Club, to me, it's staggering but whatever, each store has its purpose.

Being able to use an app on your phone to scan and pay for your stuff in Sam's Club is a lot of fun, just scan with your phone and leave the store, walk right past the lines.
Yet Costco is still acceptable, no matter how long the lines seem, wow, they move fast and get you out the door, self check out or check out.

Overall, thumbs up to overall shopping experience goes to Costco hands down but they dont always have everything you want and other times a product from Sam's Club is better, so its nice having both of them.
I had a GREAT experience getting four new tires on my SUV at Costco (other than the stupid long wait being I had an appointment) but wow, soup to nuts they do everything including rebuilding the TPS sensors. They even used a hand held torque wrench to torque the lug nuts! *LOL* I never saw a shop actually do that!

Last edited:
These do happen. One day I was buying groceries and some flowers. After checking out the grocery I took the flower with me, which I put on the top of self-checkout machine waiting to be scanned. Only realize that when I'm half way from home, had to drove back to the store to make sure I pay for it. LOL!

These do happen. One day I was buying groceries and some flowers. After checking out the grocery I took the flower with me, which I put on the top of self-checkout machine waiting to be scanned. Only realize that when I'm half way from home, had to drove back to the store to make sure I pay for it. LOL!
Ok as long as we’re all turning ourselves in, I once realized I hadn’t scanned a pound of bacon. It was an honest mistake. But I didn’t go back 😂

And years ago, I left behind an entire ham. I was so twisted at my stupid mistake, I did go back and the courtesy desk said no ham was left behind. They said go and get one that’s about the same size. That was before I knew my wife so maybe 2004…

I do know Costco has always been said to have 1/10 the industry benchmark on shrinkage. They’ve never stated it, it’s industry analysts who have.

In my younger days I have tested “security” and true they cannot grab a person, only LE can. I have walked right out the door with one shouting at me to halt. Following them back in to a back room is silly but many would.
My Son worked theft prevention for Walmart. If someone suspected of theft wouldn't follow them back in to the store-he would get the license plate and call that in to the place. Yes-most had vehicles they left in.

Walmart has your facial ID now with their new systems. If you are caught stealing then your facial ID will be tagged and any Walmart you enter will alert security.

Walmart is not the only store with troubles. Costco has their fair share of thieves as well. I’m sure all the other store chains including Costco have or will soon have the same facial ID system. Kroger has it.

Considering those self checkout machines are asking for tips now i don't care what happens to the company.
I've heard/seen this claim on the internet, Facebook, etc but have never seen a picture of this in actuality or seen it myself.

Back