Red Flags for Toyota models that aren't recalled

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: rszappa1
and we will never recover from this.....Our young kids are in big trouble down the road....

You know what, I just give up. I don't have the patience or the will to argue with you. You don't provide arguments. You just provide 1-line, stupid, childish responses that do nothing but make everyone first laugh at you, and then shake our heads at the mind numblingly ignorant responses.

No but maybe a private company can.....Or get rid of it....

Sorry, I just can't resist. Private companies, eh? With a few exceptions, big corporations care about nothing, repeat nothing, except their bottom line at the end of the fiscal year. Most will lie, cheat, steal, scam, rip, claw, scream, cry, and stab people in the back simply to make an extra 2 bucks at the end of the year. You want a great example of this? One word. ENRON. Deliberate blackouts, and power trading in California, anyone?

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe Ford should be owned by the Goverment also..... Let the Gov. run everthing like health care.... In the year 2929 everyting you think say or do is in a pill you took today...... yes we need bigger and biger Goverment...... Great logic they have.... We need to Spend our way out of this. Dave Ramsy just loves that line form Big Gov....

Originally Posted By: rudolphna
And the USPS is sooo well run along with Amtrack.........
15.gif

Dude, you have some serious issues. USPS and Amtrak are actually run just fine, And the mail service has the problem that people don't mail letters anymore. They use email. And people just aren't mailing anything, and those that do packages often us UPS, or FedEX.

I know we are slightly off topic here, but sorry but I can't agree with the highlighted statement. I can't comment about Amtrak because I've never used them, but I have used the USPS a LOT!
In my area at least, their "customer service" is practically non existent! When I have gone to the post office to mail packages, etc. there are usually very long lines, and only 1 or 2 people working at the counter. The big hand hits 12 and one of the two people behind the counter will say "Ooops my break time. Goodbye." and close their window. I've seen it happen NUMEROUS times. We can see a lot of people in the back area - most of them seem to be just standing or wandering around.
The one person still working will have the personality of a hungry grizzly bear and working the speed of a snail.

The people that deliver the mail to my house are OFTEN putting my mail in someone else's box - usually about 6 blocks away. When they are suppose to deliver packages, they never come to the door, they just leave a note in the mailbox saying "We TRIED to deliver this package but no one was home" Funny I was home ALL day!

So that means the next day I have to drive clear across town and stand in another line at the main post office to pick up my package. When I asked why they didn't deliver the package to my house, the person said:
(Sad reason number 1) "Well maybe you have a fence around your house and the mail person couldn't get in" I said "No fence".
(Sad reason number 2) "Well maybe there was a dog" Sorry - I don't have a dog either - neither does my neighbor.
(Sad reason number 3) "Well maybe he just couldn't find your house." I walked away laughing at that one! My house got up and moved after being in the same spot for 22 years? I live off a major street and the houses AND the curbs are all numbered.

The one time they DID deliver a package to the house they left it in my driveway BEHIND my SUV. Fortunately I had to put something in the rear of the SUV - otherwise I would have ran over the package!
This just doesn't sound like a well run company to me. Needless to say when I mail packages I use some other company.

Back on topic as far as the Toyota problems let me say I'm not a big Toyota fan one way or another.
My wife bought a 2005 Camry new in Oct. 2004. She hasn't had ANY problems with it - other than having the alignment checked a couple of years or so ago.
No accelerator sticking or anything. The worst problem is recently one of the rear speaker grills cracked - probably from being parked in the sun.
I recently flushed the radiator and changed the antifreeze in it and was surprised at how easy it was to work on. MUCH easier than my Chevy SUV!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: oldmaninsc
15.gif

Dude, you have some serious issues. USPS and Amtrak are actually run just fine, And the mail service has the problem that people don't mail letters anymore. They use email. And people just aren't mailing anything, and those that do packages often us UPS, or FedEX.

I know we are slightly off topic here, but sorry but I can't agree with the highlighted statement. I can't comment about Amtrak because I've never used them, but I have used the USPS a LOT!
In my area at least, their "customer service" is practically non existent! When I have gone to the post office to mail packages, etc. there are usually very long lines, and only 1 or 2 people working at the counter. The big hand hits 12 and one of the two people behind the counter will say "Ooops my break time. Goodbye." and close their window. I've seen it happen NUMEROUS times. We can see a lot of people in the back area - most of them seem to be just standing or wandering around.
The one person still working will have the personality of a hungry grizzly bear and working the speed of a snail.

The people that deliver the mail to my house are OFTEN putting my mail in someone else's box - usually about 6 blocks away. When they are suppose to deliver packages, they never come to the door, they just leave a note in the mailbox saying "We TRIED to deliver this package but no one was home" Funny I was home ALL day!

So that means the next day I have to drive clear across town and stand in another line at the main post office to pick up my package. When I asked why they didn't deliver the package to my house, the person said:
(Sad reason number 1) "Well maybe you have a fence around your house and the mail person couldn't get in" I said "No fence".
(Sad reason number 2) "Well maybe there was a dog" Sorry - I don't have a dog either - neither does my neighbor.
(Sad reason number 3) "Well maybe he just couldn't find your house." I walked away laughing at that one! My house got up and moved after being in the same spot for 22 years? I live off a major street and the houses AND the curbs are all numbered.

The one time they DID deliver a package to the house they left it in my driveway BEHIND my SUV. Fortunately I had to put something in the rear of the SUV - otherwise I would have ran over the package!
This just doesn't sound like a well run company to me. Needless to say when I mail packages I use some other company.

Back on topic as far as the Toyota problems let me say I'm not a big Toyota fan one way or another.
My wife bought a 2005 Camry new in Oct. 2004. She hasn't had ANY problems with it - other than having the alignment checked a couple of years or so ago.
No accelerator sticking or anything. The worst problem is recently one of the rear speaker grills cracked - probably from being parked in the sun.
I recently flushed the radiator and changed the antifreeze in it and was surprised at how easy it was to work on. MUCH easier than my Chevy SUV!

Wow sorry to hear that- I've never had any problems using USPS, the lines usually move quickly and the service is friendly. I guess it depends on your local office.

I would prefer the Chinese to take over GM and Mopar. After all, GM's one of the top car makers in China too!

Originally Posted By: nthach
I would prefer the Chinese to take over GM and Mopar. After all, GM's one of the top car makers in China too!

Uh, yes but GM China is a subsidiary of GM USA. It is still american owned and headquartered. You really want the #1, and #4 US automakers to be Chinese owned? THat would be the end of the world.

Uh, yes but GM China is a subsidiary of GM USA. It is still american owned and headquartered. You really want the #1, and #4 US automakers to be Chinese owned? THat would be the end of the world.

The Chinese owns a lot of US debt, and US debt paid for the GM Chrysler bail out... So it is pretty close already.

A big issue is made out of the auto bailouts but GM and Chrysler are not really competing against just private automakers. A lot of other countries are funding their automakers. Not bailing the domestics out could only have put us at a greater trade deficits sooner.
China

Quote:
Take a look at any global industry where China is a major player. I wrote about cars Jan. 13 and about aluminum Jan. 12. Either would serve as an example of the big problem.

China has 117 carmakers. The China Association of Automobile Manufacturers calls 17 of them major manufacturers. All 117 can raise capital if they've got the right political connections. So is it surprising that automobile manufacturing capacity in China grew 30% in 2009 to 20 million units? That compares with record demand in China of 13.6 million units in 2009, a year when Beijing cut taxes on sales of many cars and implemented its own Cash for Clunkers-style stimulus program.

I haven't been able to find figures for how many of those 117 companies were profitable for all of 2009. But in the first half of the year, profits at the 17 major manufacturers were up just 1.5% from the depressed first five months of 2008. About half of the 17 saw their profits fall in the period, and three suffered losses.

Will supply and demand or the workings of the capital markets force any of those 117 companies out of business? Not if it means putting local workers on the streets.

The effects on the global economy spill out from China. Since profit and loss don't count if a loss-making company can just keep raising capital, excess capacity in China results in low-priced exports that depress prices of competitors around the world. Countries looking at the example of China -- countries that don't want to lose the jobs, prestige and technology that come with having a domestic car industry -- decide to go China's route and bail out unprofitable carmakers.

Originally Posted By: Jonny Z

The Chinese owns a lot of US debt, and US debt paid for the GM Chrysler bail out... So it is pretty close already.

And the fact that Wal-Mart is the biggest importer of Chinese goods in America, our clothing(unless you pay an ungodly sum for designer/premium denim) is sewn in China, we knowingly feed our dogs and cats with Chinese-sourced grain glutens, and Silicon Valley depends on China for not just manufacturing but for talent.

Shoot, even Boeing jets have a significant amount of Chinese components on them.

And AFAIK, the only other state-owned automaker besides the Chinese and the Russian marques is VW.

Last edited:
15.gif

Dude, you have some serious issues. USPS and Amtrak are actually run just fine, the problem is that people aren't really fans of rail travel, not when they can fly (much faster) or drive (usually much cheaper). And the mail service has the problem that people don't mail letters anymore. They use email. And people just aren't mailing anything, and those that do packages often us UPS, or FedEX.

Sorry, the Amtrak is not run well. For one, it needs a government subsidy. So unless you think GM and Chrysler were well run, Amtrak fails that test.

Second, Amtrak doesn't seem to be on time. oilBabe and I tried it and our one hour train ride from Herman, MO to Kirkwood, MO started two hours late and then took three hours to travel what was billed as about one hour of travel.

Four hours late on a one hour ride is NOT running well.

No mechanical issues, just couldn't get there on time and couldn't run the rate of travel because of other traffic on the line.

The REASON Americans don't like rail travel is because it is not well run.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Wake me up when Fedex/UPS will sent my letter from Hibilly, ME to Nowhere, CA for $0.43- Vikas

I can if you agree to subsidize me with tax dollars!

Some people here have no concept of how government works.

What is an elephant? A mouse designed by a Gov't committee!

They can't keep spending. They're broke. That means we're too stupid to care? Sure seems like some of you drink the kool aid.

Well a lot of industries are getting subsidies. That's what government contracts are, lobbying, Medicare etc. The government contracts with FedEx. Who are the private automakers that aren't subsidized that are making money now? Not many. I don't think Japanese auto industry or the Korean is fully private.

And the mail service has the problem that people don't mail letters anymore. They use email.
True.
And people just aren't mailing anything, and those that do packages often us UPS, or FedEX.

Why, when UPS and FedEx charge more than USPS?

Originally Posted By: oldmaninsc

I cannot pass up quoting these experiences of oldmaninsc because mine are very similar. Ex:
Long lines, slow service. (Maybe it's the nature of the bargain shipper.)
"Sorry we missed you" when I was waiting right there.
Throwing my packages from the postal car to my door.
Putting my statements in a box down the street, and vice versa.
And so on. I am afraid to complain because the courier will start deliberately trashing my mail.

I agree with others that it's very nice to send an envelope of first class mail across the country for 44 cents.

I use the Post Office for most of what I ship. Yes, sometimes there is a line, but UPS can be bad about that too. Attitude? Much nicer people at the Post Office.

I would be happier to pay less and have much of what I buy shipped USPS.

Originally Posted By: benjamming
mechanix,

Government contracting with a company is not necessarily the same thing as a subsidy.

It serves the same purposes. Tax abatements and lucrative contracts keep them profitable where they wouldn't otherwise be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back