Toyota Cover Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guess toyota hires ex NHTSA regualtors so they can influence the NHTSA.

In the company I work for, you would be terminated for hiring any ex-regultors due to conflict of interest.

But guess it is standard business practice at Toyota to help crush investigations.

From Bloomberg:

"Feb. 12 (Bloomberg) -- Former regulators hired by Toyota Motor Corp. helped end at least four U.S. investigations of unintended acceleration by company vehicles in the last decade, warding off possible recalls, court and government records show.

Christopher Tinto, vice president of regulatory affairs in Toyota's Washington office, and Christopher Santucci, who works for Tinto, helped persuade the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration to end probes including those of 2002-2003 Toyota Camrys and Solaras, court documents show. Both men joined Toyota directly from NHTSA, Tinto in 1994 and Santucci in 2003.

While all automakers have employees who handle NHTSA issues, Toyota may be alone among the major companies in employing former agency staffers to do so. Spokesmen for General Motors Co., Ford Motor Co., Chrysler Group LLC and Honda Motor Co. all say their companies have no ex-NHTSA people who deal with the agency on defects."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/bloomberg/20100212/pl_bloomberg/ambs8icm3pyy

As bad as this situation may look, is there a law in place that prevents an ex-NHTSA employee to work for an auto manufacturer?

Personally, if I had to deal with NHTSA, I'd be looking to hire one of their ex-guys too, so that I don't get screwed over. For example, I'm sure some of what gets reported to NHTSA is a result of "user error"... I would want to make sure such things don't result in a recall which could potentially ruin a smaller company. Again, I'm not advising to do anything illegal, but it does help to have someone on your payroll that knows how things work.

Most place would never ever do that, doesnt pass the smell test in the publics eyes and looks very bad. I work for a Utility, guarantee you we would never higher any former employees from the Public Utility commision who regulate us, just not done, unprofessional and smacks of impropriety.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
As bad as this situation may look, is there a law in place that prevents an ex-NHTSA employee to work for an auto manufacturer?

Personally, if I had to deal with NHTSA, I'd be looking to hire one of their ex-guys too, so that I don't get screwed over. For example, I'm sure some of what gets reported to NHTSA is a result of "user error"... I would want to make sure such things don't result in a recall which could potentially ruin a smaller company. Again, I'm not advising to do anything illegal, but it does help to have someone on your payroll that knows how things work.

I don't blame Toyota. Well at least not too much. I blame all the people with some vested interest where ever they may be for helping Toyota gain market share any way they can.

Originally Posted By: VNTS
Most place would never ever do that

I think you're right, the place I work at has very strict rules about hiring an ex government employee.

"Toyota Boasted Saving $100M on Recall, Documents Show"

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,587090,00.html

(Caution automotive sarcasm ahead)

If this had been GM they would already be bankrupt.

28.gif
27.gif

Originally Posted By: Rickey

28.gif
27.gif

The plot thickens.
27.gif

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: Rickey

28.gif
27.gif

The plot thickens.
27.gif

Toyota death watch ? ..... Anyone ?

I predict that sales will plummet as their false reputation for quality and honesty deflates.
shocked2.gif

The stock market will follow. Get out while you still have your shirt.
15.gif

What gets me is when you tune into a news station or talk radio and some moron is saying this is all being done by the US Government to help GM and Chrysler recover. They are saying this is all a smoke screen from the US Gov to kill Toyota and help GM and Chrysler out. What a load of BULL! I am no Obama fan at all but that is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. It takes real consumers with real problems happening for NHTSA to get involved. The US Government can't just make it up to crush Toyota. Unbelievable.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
What gets me is when you tune into a news station or talk radio and some moron is saying this is all being done by the US Government to help GM and Chrysler recover. They are saying this is all a smoke screen from the US Gov to kill Toyota and help GM and Chrysler out. What a load of BULL! I am no Obama fan at all but that is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. It takes real consumers with real problems happening for NHTSA to get involved. The US Government can't just make it up to crush Toyota. Unbelievable.

not disagreeing that you heard it but the only place I have heard that is on this board, and yes that is crazy

Originally Posted By: bradepb

not disagreeing that you heard it but the only place I have heard that is on this board, and yes that is crazy

I read that on TTAC and other boards like Canadian Driver forum, so it's not exclusive to BITOG. It's a last ditch effort of the die hard Toyota fans to justify their blind faith in the company, before coming to an inevitable realization that Toyota is just like any other corporation where profits rule no matter what.

Why should it be locked, people are posting pertinent links to the investigation and Toyota cover up. Very interesting stuff.
Cant wait for the CEO Toyoda to be on the stand under oath.

Is the kool aid a little sour ???

Originally Posted By: opus1
In before locking....

35.gif

AM talk radio is the biggest joke. Rush *#@%&+! has said for years it's OK to buy foreign products. I suspect that's mainly for his hatred of the unions. Our govt should be involved in giving our industries every possible advantage in our home market (after all, the USA has the consumer mkt the whole world wants). The American worker can do anything Japan can do and then some. Japan certainly does it with their industries. I'm glad to see Toyota have the problems the are now having. God knows they destroyed a lot of working families in the USA with their false advertising and corruption.

Last edited:
My dad just got a job working for Toyota answering phone calls about the recall....anyway they heard if Toyota in the US doesnt get their stuff together. Japan Toyota is going to shut down the US Toyota and import Toyotas from Japan....now we get some real made cars and trucks just like it used to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back