Trevor Jacob pleads guilty to obstruction for covering up deliberate crash where he bailed out

I don't recall if this was discussed here before as I can't find his name in a search. But I do remember how controversial it was at the time where he seemed to be way too conveniently prepared to parachute out with his cameras ready and wearing a stunt parachute. Some claims were that he deliberately did it in a way to make it look dramatic, where he allegedly flew in a way to prevent the propeller from windmilling.

LOS ANGELES – A YouTuber pilot has agreed to plead guilty to a felony charge for obstructing a federal investigation by deliberately destroying the wreckage of an airplane that he intentionally crashed in Santa Barbara County to gain online views, the Justice Department announced today.​
Trevor Daniel Jacob, 29, of Lompoc, agreed to plead guilty to one count of destruction and concealment with the intent to obstruct a federal investigation, a crime that carries a statutory maximum sentence of 20 years in federal prison.​
A plea agreement and a one-count information charging Jacob were filed Wednesday in United States District Court in Los Angeles. He is expected to make his initial court appearance in the coming weeks.​
According to his plea agreement, Jacob is an experienced pilot and skydiver who had secured a sponsorship from a company that sold various products, including a wallet. Pursuant to the sponsorship deal, Jacob agreed to promote the company’s wallet in a YouTube video that he would post.​
On November 24, 2021, Jacob took off in his airplane from Lompoc City Airport on a solo flight purportedly destined for Mammoth Lakes. Jacob did not intend to reach his destination, but instead planned to eject from his aircraft during the flight and video himself parachuting to the ground and his airplane as it descended and crashed, he admitted in the plea agreement​
Prior to taking off, Jacob mounted several video cameras on different parts of the airplane and equipped himself with a parachute, video camera and selfie stick. Approximately 35 minutes after taking off, while flying above the Los Padres National Forest near Santa Maria, Jacob ejected from the airplane and videoed himself parachuting to the ground.​
Using the video camera mounted on the selfie stick and the video cameras he mounted on the airplane, Jacob was able to record the airplane as it descended and crashed into a dry brush area in Los Padres National Forest. After parachuting to the ground, Jacob hiked to the location of the wreck and recovered the data containing the video recording of his flight and the crash of the airplane, the plea agreement states.​
On November 26, 2021, Jacob informed the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) about the plane crash. The NTSB, which launched an investigation into the crash on or about that same day, told Jacob that he was responsible for preserving the wreckage so the agency could examine it. Jacob agreed to determine the crash location and provide both the coordinates of the downed plane and videos of the crash to NTSB investigators. Three days later, the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) launched its own investigation into the plane crash.​
In the weeks following the plane crash, Jacob lied to investigators that he did not know the wreckage’s location, according to the plea agreement. In fact, on December 10, 2021, Jacob and a friend flew by helicopter to the wreckage site. There, Jacob used straps to secure the wreckage, which the helicopter lifted and carried to Rancho Sisquoc in Santa Barbara County, where it was loaded onto a trailer attached to Jacob’s pickup truck.​
Jacob drove the wreckage to Lompoc City Airport and unloaded it in a hangar. He then cut up and destroyed the airplane wreckage and, over the course of a few days, deposited the detached parts of the wrecked airplane into trash bins at the airport and elsewhere, which he admitted in his plea agreement was done with the intent to obstruct federal authorities from investigating the November 24 plane crash.​
On December 23, 2021, Jacob uploaded a YouTube video titled, “I Crashed My Airplane,” that contained a promotion of the wallet and depicting him parachuting from the plane and the aircraft’s subsequent crash. Jacob admitted in his plea agreement that he intended to make money through the video.​
Jacob further admitted he lied to federal investigators when he submitted an aircraft accident incident report that falsely indicated that the aircraft experienced a full loss of power approximately 35 minutes after takeoff. Jacob also lied to an FAA aviation safety inspector when he said the airplane’s engine had quit and, because he could not identify any safe landing options, he had parachuted out of the plane.​
The FAA revoked Jacob’s pilot license in April 2022.​
The United States Department of Transportation – Office of Inspector General investigated this matter. The NTSB and FAA provided substantial assistance.​
Assistant United States Attorney Mark A. Williams, Chief of the Environmental and Community Safety Crimes Section, and Assistant United States Attorneys Dennis Mitchell and Dominique Caamano, also of the Environmental and Community Safety Crimes Section, are prosecuting this case.​
Contact
Ciaran McEvoy
Public Information Officer
[email protected]
(213) 894-4465​
Updated May 11, 2023​

Hopefully min 4 years for doing something so stupid.
You know what both of us are wrong. The maximum amount is more like it. I hate just how utterly brazen and even entitled these disgusting social media brats have become in their chase for fame, fortune, and scary enough pity by faking terrible situations for sympathy to make themselves feel good, these kids are the craziest generation by far.

Just recently one decided to pour water out of a red gas can onto a mans truck while he was in it as a prank and the man took his gun out. The brat acted like he was in the right and never apologized but acted tough and insulted the man. This is what is happening these days. They're not only becoming brave enough to do this but they think they're untouchable in the horrible crap they do in society. At least this piece of crap decided to do this away from homes but that's no defense for his actions. If he had he would have deserved to be charged with some kind of terrorism. Cause that's what these prank and attention seeking videos are becoming.

I'm trying to figure out how he thought he could recover the cost of wrecking the plane via Youtube notoriety or popularity.

A used plane can be really cheap. It was a Taylorcraft B, which is doped fabric over steel tubing. I'd think the storage fees are probably the highest overall costs. Some motorcycles weigh more than one. My reading is that there hasn't been one made since the 1940s.

Vref value: Not valued. Examples listed in online marketplaces were priced between $11,500 and $25,000.​
How many in the fleet: The FAA lists 1,100 BC–12Ds on the registry, plus another 264 derivatives.​
Insurance costs: AOPA Insurance estimates an annual premium of $600 to $700 for a pilot with tailwheel experience.​
Airworthiness directives: A few big ones, including wing strut attach points and lift struts.​
Biggest plus: Tube and fabric at budget prices.​
Biggest minus: Panel-mounted yoke and tight quarters.​
Things to watch out for: Corrosion and cracked wing spars.​
And one more thing: The BC–12D is LSA-eligible in both the 65 horsepower and 85 horsepower models.​

I'm trying to figure out how he thought he could recover the cost of wrecking the plane via Youtube notoriety or popularity.

Getting invited to morning TV shows, Jimmy Kimmel show, cable TV shows, etc…., promoting himself to get more views on his channel and projects he is working.

Some folks are soooooo obsessed at becoming a social media sensation.

Very sad and pathetic.

Last edited:
We talked about it.

We talked about it.

My bad. I did a search for his name but wasn’t thinking of an alternate spelling.

I'll hold my opinion on his punishment beyond he got off a bit lightly, but does anyone else want to just smack him for needlessly destroying a perfectly nice T'craft? Aircraft deserved better than him...
I want to smack a whole lot of kids today for the dumb crap they do for 'the likes', 'the 'grams', 'the subscriptions', and the like.

And I generally want to put all of the 'influencers' on a boat and ship them to Antarctica and let them figure out life down there.

Back