Parenting

Zee09

$200 Site Donor 2023
I spent some time with my niece the other day and noticed her two kids have to ask for permission on anything they eat or drink.

Sort of new to me but as my norm I didn't say anything.
Your thoughts please.
For the sake of conversation only.

How old are they? If they are younger than 10, then its possible that they are allergic to something common. Our son is allergic to all treenuts and some other stuff. We mandated he ask us before he eats anywhere other than home.

I'm pretty 1950's in my parenting. My wife and I are the bosses, this is our little dictatorship where we get want we want when we want it but **** if the kid is hungry just go get something to eat.

Might also just be that family’s dynamics. My kids have the same parents yet one will ask before getting a snack while the other tends to be more of just taking one. Maybe the kids the OP noticed, their parents instilled a regime of asking first, now doesn’t really care, but the kids are still in the mindset that they have to ask every time.

Sister-in-law's kids are quite hyperactive. They can eat all the proteins, fruits and vegetables they want. They have to ask for soda, sweets, chips, etc. If they have more than one soda with caffeine or too much snacks, they are up all night and can't function in school the next day.

Sister-in-law's kids are quite hyperactive. They can eat all the proteins, fruits and vegetables they want. They have to ask for soda, sweets, chips, etc. If they have more than one soda with caffeine or too much snacks, they are up all night and can't function in school the next day.
Makes complete sense to me.

How does that stop them from dying from a heroin overdose at age 18?
Just adding to your horror story...lol
Sadly it doesn't, one can only hope and try to steer them in the right direction. A little bit of discipline, teaching them right from wrong, etc. can go a long way.

Teach the kids what's good for them, why other things might not be in their best interest, then allow them to make small choices. Asking for things puts them in the mindset I need someone else's permission, and if they don't give it to me, I can't have it. Just my opinion.

When I was growing up I had a friend who was like that. He always had to ask permission to even get a drink of water. He wasn't even allowed to call them mom and dad. It was "sir" and "mam". His parents were uber strict.

When I was growing up I had a friend who was like that. He always had to ask permission to even get a drink of water. He wasn't even allowed to call them mom and dad. It was "sir" and "mam". His parents were uber strict.
I know the story well.
Funny I was in a store the other day and thanked the young lady that was like 35 years old.

She mumbled some very bad words to her friend about me because I said "thank you mam"

Busy at work and will respond to this thread later today from a perspective of having a dad mom and 4 siblings under one roof growing up

Sadly this is my house.

Our snack food comes from BJs wholesale-- I make it over there once a month or so. Get the big containers but they have to last a month. Our wholesome food (eg fruit) gets replenished weekly from the supermarket.

Kids gorge on junk then don't have room for dinner. IDK if they're tempted by the big containers and figure there's an endless supply or what. I'd like them to have self control but we're not there yet.

Back