What was your shortest employment?

Didn't think of you as a big guy.......let alone bouncer!!
My future brother-in-law and I were the main bouncers at the theater. He and I both were 6'3" and had played football, wrestling, weightlifting and boxing, so we were up to the task. We mostly threw out the bums that were smoking in the John's.

I left at lunchtime on the first day. Alberto Culver in Melrose Park, IL. A pallet of feminine hygiene spray tipped over and workers starter spraying each other.

Didn't think of you as a big guy.......let alone bouncer!!
1707015828338.jpg

I've just recently came back to underground coal mining. I started back with a contractor in early September and tonight is my last shift with them. Coal company hired me on already. I'm 36 and this will be only my 5th full time job since 16 so I normally stick around

I was tired of being a busboy and wanted to be a waiter.

So I lied to a Greek restaurant and said I had experience as a waiter.

They immediately saw I could not open wine and pour it. So they told me we’re gonna have you bus all weekend (Fri and Sat) and then we’ll train you.

But they used me and fired me after Sat night.

Shortest was during college in the mid-late 90's. The gas station I was plugging/patching tires at closed so took a job as a bagger at a local grocery store in SLO. Went through hiring process & gave the manager my class schedule, getting assurance they would work around my classes. Next week I dropped in to get the work schedule for the week & I was scheduled to work every shift during my class time. Asked the manager about it & the response was "that's the schedule". I just responded with a laugh & said "well, good luck with that" & never showed up.

Right of technical school I got a job at a custom mostly motorcycle paint shop. It was one guy working out of his house. I started as a half day on a Saturday, and he stayed in his house as I pulled the bed off a pickup. I never went back or got a paycheck.

6 months. Was a seasonal job with the DOT running equipment for sniw removal.
Foreman was horrible, mid Management slightly better, top management complete shut (viewed us as a waste of money as they sat on their golden thrones). Pay wasn't great, and 2hr commute.

So fall came around and "no thanks".

My two shortest was right out of HS. Did about a half a day at a JCrew call center and quickly realized it wasn't for me. Spent a day at Sears and realized how aggressive they wanted us to sell to the customer, with little regards to ethics.

My shortest job held was one very long day in a meat packing house and hotdog producer. I was about 24 and done with 4 years military and back into my second college run. c1975-76. Started at 4:00am and thought my shift was done at 4:00 pm. At 4:00 pm the owner/boss threw me some keys to a $50 beat down station wagon and gave me a list of bars and restaurants in two counties to deliver to. I did it and got back to the plant at about 8:00 pm. Owner said, "see you at 4:00 am." I got up about 4:00 am and called in and quit. This was in $2.90/hr minimum wage days.

Just a few days later, the owner and his wife made the front page and not in a good way. Some fed inspectors paid a visit. I suppose they must have had a side line on gov. purchased food. They both held shotguns on the inspectors and refused them entry. He eventually went to prison for a bit, the wife got off nearly free.

Back