What was your shortest employment?

Back in my High School days I went to work at McDonalds . Hated it . I think I lasted a couple of months .

1 day as a friend who owns construction company needed a laborer for show not reality. He knew I had been around equipment and construction before as engineer. I was taking grade shots helping them set grade. The engineer got suspicious .

Got to get our lunch in a company F550 stake body truck. Paid $400 cash.

I will admit that once I took a job offer for a job I didn't particularly want right out of college. It was my only standing job offer and I asked for an extension on my time to accept and couldn't get another. I had several interviews at about the same time as I interviewed for this job, and was waiting for offers on those.

So I spent my first few days looking over documents and how to run the various tools we would use. Then I checked my messages and I got an offer for a job I preferred. I went right to my manager and told him. I suppose it could have been risky since I didn't even have the written offer in hand. He said I could go home, and took my badge right there. I was hoping to at least say bye to another employee I had been working with for those few days, but he said he'd tell him. I did get paid for the whole day though. Strangely enough I didn't even take that job (from the message) as I had a better offer elsewhere from an interview I had afterwards. But I wouldn't have had that interview had I still been there.

That was less than a week.

It is kind of strange how all these little things factor into our lives. How different would our lives be with one thing changing? How many people people met a spouse on the job, so what would it have meant if someone took a different job or left a job before that point?

Only ever been at one company, where I still work. Have had 3 jobs here over the last 7-1/2 years.

Two days rolling and manually loading sod for a sod company. I was still in high school. I was willing to work but not quite like that. :rolleyes:

I was an AP Analyst at a Home Warranty / HVAC repair company for about 3 months in 1999, in the summer when everybody's AC needs work. The company started running low on cash, and creditors were calling me directly threatening legal action, etc etc etc. Payroll checks started to bounce. I hauled @$$.

11 months at U.S. Steel, Gary Works Coke Ovens between high school and college. Very high paying nasty, unhealthy job. Eye opener for a 19 year old. Made enough to pay about 80% of college. Current position: 45 years!
Internet pic:
1706709987105.jpeg

Last edited:
I was just thinking of flat rats and snakes and stuff.......but yeah, one bale would kill me!
This was in the mid '70s. Mostly cardboard from Walmart, grocery stores and the like. 99.5% clean. We had to sort by flattened size and stack. A forklift/high loader moved it over the baler, and retrieved it, then loaded on the trailer.

3 hrs directing traffic at a ski resort.
Don’t ask me why, but my mind goes to Mr. Howell trying to flag down ships in Gilligans Island. He does know any naval signals so he flags the signal of a cocktail hour at a country club.

11 months at U.S. Steel, Gary Works Coke Ovens between high school and college. Very high paying nasty, unhealthy job. Eye opener for a 19 year old. Made enough to pay about 80% of college. Current position: 45 years!
Internet pic:
View attachment 200988

I would soooo love to go back 50 years in time and work in a steel mill for a few weeks.

Im not kidding around.

Last edited:
8-9 months as a BMW porter. Was just a second job until I cemented into my actual career.

I take this back. 1 month as a busser at a sushi restaurant. Food was great, management was not. Restaurant already went through two management changes within the owners family. Manager expected you to work like a dog while he plays online poker in the back. And their sushi chefs never washed their hands.

9 months in an aluminum extrusion plant while going to the local college … other jobs have been at least 2 years … especially after becoming a supervisor early on …

4 hours.

During college, there was this call center recruiting new employees… They said there was no sales involved and all we would be doing was calling for radio contests.

Day one: four hours calling to tell people they had either entered or won a radio contest… Pretty good.

Day two: intro that we would be calling to sell a certain item. I walked out, along with several other people.

Two weeks at Jiffy Lube. Left because they weren’t doing ethical things. Most people don’t believe me when I say what they were doing so I don’t even mention it anymore. Let’s just say the straw that broke the camels back was when we got in a supply of oil that was dark like pitch jet black dark and it had metal shavings in it and I said I’m not putting that in someone’s car so they told me if I didn’t put it in cars I would get fired. I clocked out and left. They tried calling me back I never once picked up the phone. Never heard a word from anyone there again. I am glad I got out of there. I don’t believe in doing sloppy work or something to mess up someone else’s car. That’s not who I am. There were several reasons for my leaving but that was just the final straw. I was also the only one there that wasn’t a felon so it made me very uncomfortable being around people there.

13 months at popular locally owned grocery store. Owners 3 boys running it with no cooperation between them. Was time to head out

Two weeks at Jiffy Lube. Left because they weren’t doing ethical things.
I was going to ask if it was you, but I think it was before your time here: Years ago someone here mentioned that when they worked at JL, it was the policy of their particular location that if a car came in with one of their filters on it already, they were instructed to just clean it off with Windex and call it good. You know, in case the customer crawls under and looks at it afterward.

Summer job as a bouncer and a projectionist at a St. Louis theater while in High School.

Projectionist when the union projectionist was too drunk to show up.

Back