Oil for B58 Ineos Grenadier

Always go with what the manufacturer recommends. The additive packages are completely different for LL-01FE & LL-04
View attachment 196652

For the US and these powerplants BMW recommends a High-SAPS mid HTHS (LL01FE) and a Mid-SAPS low HTHS 20 grade (LL17Fe). BMW will never recommend LL04 because hths is too high which hurts their CAFE rating. LL04 is essentially LL17Fe but with a higher HTHS.

Last edited:
Such a cool car. Any idea why Ineos went with BMW engines when they seem to be in bed with Merc?
The B58 is very proven. Strait six that gets the job done. I don’t know if merc has anything that would meet the more rugged requirements they had.

The B58 is very proven. Strait six that gets the job done. I don’t know if merc has anything that would meet the more rugged requirements they had.
They have. But B58 is also hooked up to ZF8, which is arguably the best transmission on the market. Widely used, lot's of parts etc.

They have. But B58 is also hooked up to ZF8, which is arguably the best transmission on the market. Widely used, lot's of parts etc.
I like it a lot but for the gas version they went with the ZF8-51 model which has the lower torque rating. Really wish they’d gone with the same one as in the diesel so there’d be more overhead.

I like it a lot but for the gas version they went with the ZF8-51 model which has the lower torque rating. Really wish they’d gone with the same one as in the diesel so there’d be more overhead.
They are most reliable transmissions on the market now. So, I don’t think that is an issue. B58 for Grenadier is detuned considerably from its potential, which is good too I think. There is IMO enough overhead.
Just keep and eye on coolant levels. Those engines had disappearing coolant and no one could figure out where was going.

The F1 deal came quite a bit later but I believe the Grenadier was engineered by Mercedes Benz Technologies.

I guess even Merc engineers agree that BMW engines are better

:unsure:

Ineos bought the factory from Daimler as it formerly produced Smart cars. Otherwise, Ineos has nothing to do with Benz
They sponsor the F1 team, used the same design group for the grenadier, and stated they were able to discuss and purchase the new factory only because of their close relationship with Benz

The F1 deal came quite a bit later but I believe the Grenadier was engineered by Mercedes Benz Technologies.

The CEO of Ineos Grenadier stated if it hadn’t been for sponsoring the F1 team the opportunity to purchase the factory wouldn’t have happened.

The Grenadier was engineered by Magna group in Austria and the prototypes were built by Magna Steyr.

New to oil. Was reading a lot on this forum over the past few days. So much great info on this forum which helped me to make my final decision. Was in Dallas last month and met a guy at the C. Baldwin who had a Grenadier (actually 4 LOL). Appreciate the story and design and the engine! Can't wait to get one. Anyway, my post might be helpful in drilling down weights and comps. I know some of you aren't LM fans but hey.

Cheers!
Milan

Link - https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?p=30900332

Back