Not trolling, but all things being equal, why not just use SuperTech for everything?

I alternate between ST and Havoline ProDS for
I have noticed significantly higher oil consumption on ProDS compared to other brands though.
I've tried QSUD, it is about $20 bucks and it burns less oil compared to Mobil 1. Not sure if you want to give it a try?

I've tried QSUD, it is about $20 bucks and it burns less oil compared to Mobil 1. Not sure if you want to give it a try?
If I was going to pay that much I would just purchase Mobil 1. I have never experienced any oil consumption issues with M1.

Havoline and ST are low $3/qt.

Sorry, just not a fan of Wallmart's prediditory pricing, which has destroyed a lot of small businesses, local Wallmart has poor staffing and mostly electronic checkout with long waiting lines, probably somewhat due to inability to hire staff, but they've recently announced a model to eliminate all cashiers and go completely electronic.
I've been a Mobil1 customer for 35+ years, without any issues, planning to stay with what has worked for me, with decent bundle deals and rebates, AAP has been very competitive pricing. Supertech may be just fine and dandy, but I have a long and successful history with M1, I'd probably try Castrol Edge EP before I'd go to Supertech.

Sorry, just not a fan of Wallmart's prediditory pricing, which has destroyed a lot of small businesses, local Wallmart has poor staffing and mostly electronic checkout with long waiting lines, probably somewhat due to inability to hire staff, but they've recently announced a model to eliminate all cashiers and go completely electronic.
I've been a Mobil1 customer for 35+ years, without any issues, planning to stay with what has worked for me, with decent bundle deals and rebates, AAP has been very competitive pricing. Supertech may be just fine and dandy, but I have a long and successful history with M1, I'd probably try Castrol Edge EP before I'd go to Supertech.
Identical story except with Castrol and not for 35 years, but more like 6. I'll pay a few dollars to stick with what I know works, and if I get a rebate even better. I'd go M1 first before ST if I had to. Nothing wrong with ST, but I just don't want it for my applications. That said, I have tried other oils on and off, but my primary fill has been Castrol for a long time now.

I even pay the extra few bucks for EP but don't run extended intervals. 😱

Last edited:
A product being "made by" the same company as another product does not mean it's the same. They could be vastly different. The Warren/Costco/SuperTech/whatever analogies are such examples. Even similar PDS's don't mean they're the same oil.

People tend to hype a cheaper or "inferior" product if they use it and catastrophe doesn't happen. From there its reputation can get a boost based on nothing other than it didn't completely fail. SuperTech seems to fit this category.

I have no idea if ST is better or worse than any other oil.

I'm just stating some observed logical fallacies I see over and over.

A product being "made by" the same company as another product does not mean it's the same. They could be vastly different. The Warren/Costco/SuperTech/whatever analogies are such examples. Even similar PDS's don't mean they're the same oil.

People tend to hype a cheaper or "inferior" product if they use it and catastrophe doesn't happen. From there its reputation can get a boost based on nothing other than it didn't completely fail. SuperTech seems to fit this category.

I have no idea if ST is better or worse than any other oil.

I'm just stating some observed logical fallacies I see over and over.
I think that is a great point. I know when I buy whatever name brand oil the oil is going to 99.5% of the time be exactly what I expect. Yeah they have formula changes, but look at M1, when was the last big change for them? Even Castrol hasn't done much since SM/SN how long ago now?

A small price to pay for peace of mind for me I guess.

I think that is a great point. I know when I buy whatever name brand oil the oil is going to 99.5% of the time be exactly what I expect. Yeah they have formula changes, but look at M1, when was the last big change for them? Even Castrol hasn't done much since SM/SN how long ago now?

A small price to pay for peace of mind for me I guess.
You know what to expect from any oil regardless of manufacturer based on the approvals and specifications it carries.

You know what to expect from any oil regardless of manufacturer based on the approvals and specifications it carries.
You are right, but above and beyond that if you have preferences or like something another another brand brings. I'm worried about LSPI for example and from what I've read and seen Castrol offers better protection for my Cruze than most other brands. I had an Impala that would burn M1 at a decent rate, but not other oils.

I just want to know what I have in the bottle isn't going to be made by a different company next time, and I'm willing to pay a few bucks to get that. I like to run one brand / product type across all cars so I can stock up when I find deals. Hence why that N/A Veloster gets Edge EP 5w30. Luckily the manual allows it as a weight option so its even easier for me.

At a minimum yes, but like for example tire ratings. An S rated Arizonian for $54 is a very different product from an S rated $140 Michelin. I think this analogy is far more extreme than oils, but nevertheless this site exists because people want to know what those differences are that are not indicated by approvals or even specifications alone.

My father swears the NAPA Valvoline synthetic oil quieted a lifter tick in his Sportage compared to Supertech full synthetic.

This is admittedly more anecdotal, but I think Supertech at least as a conventional was especially a stout oil back in the day. I think it was one of the first oils to have a lot of boron as an additive, which led to smoother running. In my older vehicles I've found ST Conventional to run super smooth. I'm not sure of the newer formulas quite yet, their conventional SP rated oils, who knows.

I think ultimately oil is a "feel" thing unless you need a very specific rating (European specs.) Things like lifter ticks with one oil vs another, one oil leaking or burning off more, or one oil seeming sluggish vs another, etc. They aren't quantifiable but I think they matter.

Supertech is good enough for most applications. But for Euro cars or tracking a car, Supertech will not work. I use Supertech in my lawn mower, and that's all. I will not let the Supertech near my BMWs. It would be a different discussion if there was a Supertech Euro oil with the ll-01 approval, then we could talk.

It’s an interesting question. For me I use M1 Euro 0w40 because I’ve seen numerous under headcover photos from threads online from guys with the same engine as mine that show extremely clean engines at high mileage with no timing chain issues that have used that oil. Considering how cheap that oil is anyways,,the desire to keep this car to 250+k, and my towing with this engine I figure at least it’s known, it’s very likely a non factor though. I’ve mentally played with the idea of running ST 5w30 in the Rogue. I’m planning to sell it in a year or so and we only do 5000 mile oci on both cars.

But yeah to be honest I’d be shocked if any of this made a difference at all for all but super high performance vehicles beat on regularly.

I guess at the end of the day the most logical reason for me is that the money saved isn’t worth it. I’d have to go to a Walmart store instead of just having the oil delivered to my front door and $6 extra is definitely more than the worth it for me to not go to inside a Walmart.

Worker exploitation, driving out small businesses out of towns, unethical supply chain issues.

It's also not a generally pleasant place to shop.
What's wrong with that? They basically provide the same product at a lower price. I don't exactly need an employee to point me to the stacks of oil that they have on the shelf. Why pay extra for help if you don't need it? Basically small businesses have higher costs and they can't compete. That's basically the American way, provide the same product at a lower cost. Not worth shopping there on weekends if there's huge lines but off peak times you can sometimes get in and out quick. Whether a place was "pleasant" or not is never really one of my considerations when picking a store.

Back