Newb Rotella 15-40 in a street/strip Solid roller

Status
Not open for further replies.
This car is a REAL streetcar. It is a 94 LT1 small block. Makes about 575hp on pumpgas(Shell 93).

I did a good bit of reading on the subject of making a solid roller cam live on the street. What I gathered from the reading was this. Use a pressurized roller lifter(I did, a Comp Cams Endurex) Keep the idle oil pressure above 30 psi hot(I have) Put the CORRECT springs on the car and run a GOOD oil.

Currently the setup has 2500 miles on it, I tore it down at 1000 miles because of a ring problem, no visible wear on anything other than a few side scuff marks on the lifters.

I have changed the oil about every 500/700 miles just to keep an eye on whats going on inside the engine.

Here is my question, will this car pick up power going to the Rotella T synthetic? Will it hurt the solid roller cam? How much power is to be had going from the 15-40 Rotella to the 5-40 Rotella Synthetic?

Thanks in advance.

David

Last edited:
Rotella T is good oil plain and simple. In your neck of the woods I do not know if 5w40 will make that big of a difference in power. The 5w40 is better for colder climates as compared to 15w40. Last I knew, the synthetic Rotella was Grp III which is a very good base oil. If you are going to change you oil as often as you have in the past I would stick with the cheaper Rotella T 15w40.

Now if it were mine, and I was changing as oil as much as you, I would run whatever name brand heavy duty diesel oil 15w40 was on sale. Including Napa brand 15w40 which is actually produced by Valvoline. The Rotella T is good oil though and if you feel safe with it then continue on. It's all about sleeping well at night. Not spending too much...

If you wish to extend you oil change intervals I would highly recommend Amsoil AMO 10w40.

Have you done a Used Oil Analysis? And how about a pic or two of this beast?

Last edited:
Random stuff:

The later Endurex lifters are pretty good, the early style had a pretty bad rep. Excessive valve lash will kill them. I am a huge believer in "rev kits" for street driven solid rollers (I am a vet of two solid roller BBC street/strip engines, Crower valvetrains). A good rev kit will eliminate a lot of lifter problems on engines you don't constantly check lash on.

As long as everything broke in properly, oil shouldn't be a big concern. As for a HP increase with a 5w-40 syn, no telling

You have no need for an oil with high ZDDP because your running a solid ROLLER cam. The lifter has a roller so there is no wear from lifter to cam contact. It seems to me your thinking you need an oil high in zinc.

Originally Posted By: ProStreetCamaro
You have no need for an oil with high ZDDP because your running a solid ROLLER cam. The lifter has a roller so there is no wear from lifter to cam contact. It seems to me your thinking you need an oil high in zinc.

A roller cam does not mean a high-perf engine can't benefit from higher ZDDP levels.

Pistons rings, cylinder walls, push rod/rockers arms, (especiallly with the valve spring pressures a high lift roller cam would require), can all use the protection an extra dose of ZDDP offers.

http://www.highperformancepontiac.com/tech/hppp_0802_pontiac_performance_engine_oil/index.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back