oil recommendation street -strip small block

I think I'd run some 15W-40 Chevron diesel oil with a bottle of zinc additive.

That's not a recommendation though. Don't want to be responsible for ruining somebody's engine.

Until a few years ago, Richard was the only person who has been a speaker at every PRI trade show. At these events I used to chuckle because other meeting rooms were not that crowded while his room had a mushroom cap shaped crowd in the hallway looking into the room that was 100% full.

This is Richard working on one of my V8 bike engines.

View attachment 136661

This is the engine before the chrome pan and carbon fiber valve covers went on.

View attachment 136662

Weight is an issue on a motorcycle. Replacing the cast valve covers with carbon fiber saved 7 pounds and removing the stand gets this thing just under 300 pounds. This is an all aluminum 421 making 600 Horsepower

View attachment 136664

And the end result is fantastic.

View attachment 136665
verrrry pretttty...

great pic.

of Maskin Too.

I think I'd run some 15W-40 Chevron diesel oil with a bottle of zinc additive.

That's not a recommendation though. Don't want to be responsible for ruining somebody's engine.
Diesel oil is what you put in the fuel tank. HDEO is the oil you put in the crankcase. I used Chevron DELO 15W-40 [ 20W50 gave a bit more moil pressure though] in my last 7,500 engine in my last boat engine it worked and at tear down all looked good. The valve train always looked bad no matter what oil was used , consider the valve train to be disposable.. The zinc additive isn't needed.

Wow David! Too much power is almost enough.. All kidding aside, that is a really neat motorcycle!

There is an answer for that as well on the other side of the bike. +200. The final weight on this bike was 954 pounds ready to ride. .84 HP per pound.

6E2C86D1-790E-4B5E-9B34-77744FC74806.jpeg

Until a few years ago, Richard was the only person who has been a speaker at every PRI trade show. At these events I used to chuckle because other meeting rooms were not that crowded while his room had a mushroom cap shaped crowd in the hallway looking into the room that was 100% full.

This is Richard working on one of my V8 bike engines.

View attachment 136661

This is the engine before the chrome pan and carbon fiber valve covers went on.

View attachment 136662

Weight is an issue on a motorcycle. Replacing the cast valve covers with carbon fiber saved 7 pounds and removing the stand gets this thing just under 300 pounds. This is an all aluminum 421 making 600 Horsepower

View attachment 136664

And the end result is fantastic.

View attachment 136665

man that intake was polished up!

stoudt engine....621hp.......roller cam?

what Oil was-is being run in that?

I cant imagine that kinda power on a motorcycle. outrageous!!!!

interesting on alum-vs steel.

growth of alum affecting tolerences in bearings?

i have a 1998 corvette i just picked up on the cheap. such a nice car... that LS alum engine..makes me wonder about the tolerences -clearances...

its a well known reliable engine...im sure ill be inside of it in time, but i just cruise it. i put 5w30 syn in it....its pretty quiet.

your alum cheby....thats old school...my engine builder likes th older cheby's....he doesnt like the skirt---he like to run kick out pans oil control and all that....

I agree with you. If you look at my sprint car engine in the other thread you will see quite a different strategy in the pan. In the motorcycle there is not a case where windage will come into play. At high rpm’s in that application it requires a lot of focus because you are in triple digit speed on 2 wheels.

Mobil 1 FS 0w40 is the answer. Have a nice day.

Yes David already recommended that, but thanks! It does look like a nice oil

If you are looking for something off the shelf, just run Mobil 1 FS 0W40.

David

With your bearing clearances I would stick with Mobil 1 15w-50. For over 20+ years I’ve used it in many classic Fords and Shelby’s I’ve owned, as well as the ones I’ve serviced professionally. Including several original Cobras.

If you still feel the need to experiment, then try Mobil 1 0w-40 European formula, or the M-1 5w-40. Have used them both in classics with no downsides.

Z

I originally put this engine together around 8-10 years ago.....and I did contact Mobil for a recomendation....and I did get the 15w50 mobil 1. I just dont like that heavy syrup....and I dont run long high rpm events. I always worry about the oil pump driveshaft and the strain on the distributor

I run 50 in my boat, I wouldnt run it in a street car.

Back