New Vehicle Oil Change

I changed my Camry oil at 5000 miles the first time. The Rav4 is going at 10,000 miles for its first OC.

Originally Posted by window
2020 V-6 Tacoma. I have a 2007 Tacoma with 340,000k miles. I change the oil at 500, 1,000 and then every
5,000k miles. Always synthetic. No issues. I've had numerous other vehicles and always changed oil at the
above mentioned intervals. Maybe not necessary but cheap peace of mind.

This is my routine on all my new vehicles.
11.gif

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Originally Posted by shrooms
To this day, I don't get why people want to do things other what the MANUFACTURER says. They built the thing. They're the engineers. People always want to undermine the MANUFACTURER.

We bought our 2006 new; I have serviced it at 4k to 5K intervals with mostly M1.

Did you drain the FF early? Honda recommends going the full interval on the FF.

Correct honda does NOT use special oil but relies on the high moly content of the assembly lube to " fortify" the initial fill.

They recommend a full OCI with it.

Hondas dealer network is instructed to tell the customer to wait till the maintenance minder is within 20% - or they will require a signature next to the recommendation not to change it.

I believe the last 2-3 years Idemitsu is the factory fill from Japan.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by window
Owner's Manual says 10,000 miles for first oil change. That seems a little high.
I won't hurt anything but with todays' technology am I just wasting time and money
changing it at half that (or earlier)?

I couldn't find anything in the Search box on this if it's been previously asked. Thanks.

Probably wasting time and money.

Originally Posted by GSCJR

Dunno, maybe, probably not. What's FF? Foster Freeze?

Factory fill. The oil the factory puts in sometimes has extra good stuff in it (assembly lube?) and helps with break in.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by HowAboutThis

Factory fill. The oil the factory puts in sometimes has extra good stuff in it (assembly lube?) and helps with break in.

The moly in Idemitsu compared to the M1 Tri-nuclear moly is probably a wash In actual engine coating/break-in/performance. At the end of the day a Honda or Toyota with oil in it, almost any automotive oil produced in the last 20 years will run and run and run.

I hit the 20% remaining mark @ 7500 miles - pulled and cut the factory filter despite the MM.

The factory filter had plenty of casting detritus in it. and the mag pulled a fair amount of iron

I tow extensively with my rig and it sees sustained high RPM for long stretches on routes like J2807.
UD

IMG_6443.jpeg

IMG_6439.jpeg

On all my new vehicles I did close to 5k but those were highway driven (84 F150 97 Tacoma) and on my Caravan it had 4500 miles within first year. I tell all family and customers to go full OCI or once a year and most get rid of vehicles before any engine troubles (North 100k).

Last edited:
I will change it at a thousand miles and every 5,000. Just thought I'd ask. (How's come it doesn't show in the Search feature if it's been discussed so much?)

Oil's cheap, relatively speaking. 340,000 on my '07 is a good example. Would it have made it on half as many oil changes? Probably. I
did a few oil analyses and they said all was well - that I could extend the interval. At 25 bucks a pop, 70 oil changes is $1,750.
How much is a new engine?

Originally Posted by HowAboutThis

Yes, at 5K or less as I recall.

Good to know. I used to own a TSX 6-speed manual for a short time, it was a good car. I will add that most Hondas of that era specified 5w-20 while the TSX and other select models specified 5w-30 so who knows if quick lube places paid attention to this detail.

I'd change it. I have a 2020 subaru and i'm changing my oil every 3 months, because of the type of driving i do. Lots of short trips, lots of idling etc. Probably like 1000-1500 miles per 3 months, i still change it. It's so cheap to do.

Originally Posted by jimmyturner
I'd change it. I have a 2020 subaru and i'm changing my oil every 3 months, because of the type of driving i do. Lots of short trips, lots of idling etc. Probably like 1000-1500 miles per 3 months, i still change it. It's so cheap to do.

In Jimmy's identical case, I would change at 3K and a filter change at 2nd OCI....6k.

I have always changed the oil and filter in a new car at 750 -1000 miles with a synthetic of my choice

Originally Posted by tblt44
I have always changed the oil and filter in a new car at 750 -1000 miles with a synthetic of my choice

I'm old school.... taught that the engine breaks-in easier / sooner using conventional factory oil for 3K. That's always been my M.O since 1970.
At 3k, it gets synthetic.... ever since 1990.

This horse has been beaten to death more times than I can remember. Having said that, people a lot smarter than me, including some engine builders with impressive credentials, well respected Bitog members etc, are still suggesting dumping the factory fill early. Others will tell you it's harmless, and to leave it the full OCI. I have been dumping the FF early since the first new vehicle I bought several decades ago, and will continue. Just one look at a UOA from a new vehicle tells me there's a lot of break in metal in the oil that {I'd} rather not have in the system for a full OCI. Opinions vary, that's mine. OP do what you feel is best.

Originally Posted by jimmyturner

That is wasting OUR shared resources and it is doing NOTING to help the engine.

Nothing. The oil is fortified with detergents to handle your regimen

Think.

ts NOT cheap insurance its just wasteful. Nothing else.

-Ken

Back