New Vehicle Oil Change

Originally Posted by Toto

It takes energy to recycle used motor oil, when the motor oil is past its chemistry for it's safe intended use we have to accept it, when motor oil is dumped for a good feeling, cheap insurance, lack of knowledge or many other reasons that's when it is wastefull.

Some of us see things that put us on edge with certain designs even if we would be very liberal with the OCI on others.

I honestly believe the 2011-2017 Ford 5.0 V8 in an F150 averaging 16 mpg can go 16,000 mi with a quality synthetic with complete safety.

I honestly think the 10,000 mi OCI in a 3.5 Ecoboost is stretching it.

3/4 the Oil Capacity = 12,000 mi
3/4 the Change Interval (GDI) = 9,000 mi
3/4 the Change Interval (Turbo) = 6,750 mi

I think many may argue my percentages but I don't think many will argue that smaller oil capacity, GDI and Turbos all serve to degrade the oil quicker.

Last edited:
Let's approach this from a different angle.
How about a little basic logic.

Should oil changes be shortened for severe duty?
Yes, approximately 50%.

Is break-in severe duty?
Given the increased wear that occurs during break-in? I would say yes.

Therefore mileage should be shortened 50% or to manufacturers severe duty schedule.

For a new vehicle that I plan to keep long-term, it's not wasteful to do a single early $30 oil/filter change. Everyone who knows, knows that wear-in metals are much higher during the first service interval -- that includes engine, transmission, differential/transaxle... whatever major drivetrain components your vehicle has. (Also true for power steering, brakes and other systems but this time I shall not digress.) The point: I would not do short services for the life of the vehicle, just once at the very beginning of its life and only for vehicles I plan to keep for many years. That is some very cheap peace of mind!

Back