New Vehicle Oil Change

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Originally Posted by spasm3

That's an example of what needs to change in society, calling or snubbing those with a differing opinion as stupid or inept.

This is not a differing opinion, this is fact-based information and it affects the environment.

Do You reject Education?

Calculate the number of oil changes performed in a Year on the 280,000,000 Vehicles registered in the U.S.

It all adds up to a massive pile of WASTE - based on "feelings" or crowd mentality.

I was educated - here on t his forum for well over a decade- but hesitant or just too stubborn to change, but
now I finally understand.

_ Ken

I wouldn't really call it a waste. A lot of oil and filters are recycled.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Jimmy
Your 2020 Subie destroys oil so early?

Gene
Glad you found a way to keep the sanity. Stress jobs galore out there. Stay rested and keep the smiles genuine.

All FA20 engines it seems. So instead of me playing that version of the guessing game like no not my engine, it's fine, i rather playing the guessing game of just putting in fresh oil constantly and "believe" it's working.

thumbsup2.gif

There are many things done out of habit, convenience or "piece of mind" as per service interval, period of time, other means of opportunity or record-keeping. It seems difficult if not silly at times to label right and wrong in some cases.
How to even impose one idea, one rule or perspective, or define another's "piece of mind" ? For many, it's likely subjective as cases based on their evidence or experiences etc.. ..
Chiming in with opinions, it's easy for me to say; "This is what I do and this is why ...."

Heck if turning the topic into a debate of 'facts', I just post the facts as I know them to be or find them, linking the source. Everybody gets to see, decide if it's "legit", on point, relevant, biased or ? If it's feedback targeted to one's feelings or piece of mind, maybe it'll help settle concerns adding stats and facts, maybe not. Could be it's appreciated but that's independent of whether it changes their mind or habits.

Although a bit off topic - important to share : I did what I believe to be a "worse case" OCI using QSUD 5W20 and new oil filter in a well maintained , low mileage 2017 Hyundai Sonata 2.4L GDI engine . The vehicle is used in mixed , fairly normal suburban driving conditions , used 3/4th of a qrt. of the same brand / weight make up oil and a UOA was done at 4,000 miles . The result was normal wear but only a 2.0 TBN of oil life left at 4,000 miles . I could have possibly stretched the OCI to a max of 5,000 miles where the TBN would have been down to 1.0 (or below) ... My point is every engine and driving conditions can be different . QSUD is a very good synthetic oil but after the UOA results for this vehicle I will not run any standard (non EP) synthetic D1 / Gen 2 / GF5 oil past 4,000 to 4,500 miles which my particular situation and vehicle has shown is about the max safe zone for me to change out the oil . *My my main point here is when in doubt - get a UOA performed and quit speculating on oil condition / life left in the oil !

Regarding the legend of special "break in oil"; has anyone every queried the oil manufacturers to see if they even formulate such oil, what is different about it and which manufacturers they supply it to ? Or do the manufacturers add some type of additive pack like Moly to the bulk oil they use to fill the engines with ? Any documentation of such practices ?

I have changed the factory fill on my last several cars at between 1000 - 1200 miles, again at 5,000 miles and used 5000 mile OCI's thereafter with a good all synthetic oil. I make a lot of short trips and don't think stretching the OCI's to 7500 miles is a good idea.

Last edited:
You won't go wrong id you use the factory recommended first change OR a 2,000 mile change. Why do we overthink this like looking for a secrete solution when the answer is so simple. Ed

Oil isn't a shared resource. It belongs to those who can afford it and the highest bidders. Cut out all non-essential driving, travel and wasteful Motorsports and see what happens. The price goes down.

Originally Posted by userfriendly
Oil isn't a shared resource. It belongs to those who can afford it and the highest bidders. Cut out all non-essential driving, travel and wasteful Motorsports and see what happens. The price goes down.

In the old days of the 60s, people worked close to where they live. Mom stayed home and there was only one car outside.

Now look at what's happened since. The youth of the 60s revolted over how society managed itself in the 40s and 50s.

Those darn hippies ruined everything.....lol. Now excuse me - so I may change the Beatles Yellow Submarine song, I've listened to in the past few minutes on the internet. What will I play next?...... Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds will suffice.....

Last edited:
Had Hyundai service change out factory oil of '18 Accent around 2,200 miles . Kept original filter ( O.E.M. ) and added 3 quarts of Pennzoil Platinum 5w-20 . Then had service change O.E.M. filter and oil using 3.5 quarts of P.P. 5w-20 with Fram Ultra filter at around 6,000 miles . Have used P.P. 5w-20 for all O.C.s' . Haved used Fram Ultra and another O.E.M. since .

The manual on my 2018 Nissan Titan says first OC at 5k miles and every 5k thereafter using only 0w-20 synthetic . Simple enough . I think 5k is a little too often but it's easy to look at the odometer and see where you are in the interval .

Originally Posted by nomas
The manual on my 2018 Nissan Titan says first OC at 5k miles and every 5k thereafter using only 0w-20 synthetic . Simple enough . I think 5k is a little too often but it's easy to look at the odometer and see where you are in the interval .

That's why I generally don't use 5K for me once every 6 months is easy to remember. Sometine in October and sometine in April very easy to meet that schedule.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson

That's why I generally don't use 5K for me once every 6 months is easy to remember. Sometine in October and sometine in April very easy to meet that schedule.

Exactly what i do. For most of my cars. My daily gets his fresh serve every 3 months.

Not hard to keep track. Coincidentally my twice a year oil change cars only get about 2200-2500 miles per 6 months lol.

Originally Posted by jimmyturner

Exactly what i do. For most of my cars. My daily gets his fresh serve every 3 months.

Not hard to keep track. Coincidentally my twice a year oil change cars only get about 2200-2500 miles per 6 months lol.

Bingo, I also do 3 month OCI's on my daily driver work trucks. 4000-5000 miles cause i'm in Texas heat and have a store full of oil stash
grin2.gif

Dave

Originally Posted by GMguy84

Bingo, I also do 3 month OCI's on my daily driver work trucks. 4000-5000 miles cause i'm in Texas heat and have a store full of oil stash
grin2.gif

Dave

My daily doesn't get that many miles in 3 months though lol.

About 1500 miles per 3 months. But it's a tough 3 months.

In april, i only put about 300 miles because of reduced hours at work. But i still change every 3 months. On this type of car, it takes 10 minutes, and about 23 bucks worth of oil/filter.

Originally Posted by Toto
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
I'd change it. I have a 2020 subaru and i'm changing my oil every 3 months, because of the type of driving i do. Lots of short trips, lots of idling etc. Probably like 1000-1500 miles per 3 months, i still change it. It's so cheap to do.

That is wasting OUR shared resources and it is doing NOTING to help the engine.

Nothing. The oil is fortified with detergents to handle your regimen

Think.

ts NOT cheap insurance its just wasteful. Nothing else.

-Ken

I agree dumping early is wasteful sometimes people give themselves credit for being smarter than they actually are, much of it is a lack of patience and discipline.
How is it wasteful when the oil is recycled?

-Ken[/quote]
How is it wasteful when the oil is recycled?
[/quote]

It takes energy to recycle used motor oil, when the motor oil is past its chemistry for it's safe intended use we have to accept it, when motor oil is dumped for a good feeling, cheap insurance, lack of knowledge or many other reasons that's when it is wastefull.

Back