New Vehicle Oil Change

Owner's Manual says 10,000 miles for first oil change. That seems a little high.
I won't hurt anything but with todays' technology am I just wasting time and money
changing it at half that (or earlier)?

I couldn't find anything in the Search box on this if it's been previously asked. Thanks.

What's the car?

Unless the vehicle comes with an oil specific to break in, I like to do the first change between 1-2k miles.

Like RamFan said, unless the manual states that there's a break-in oil from factory, I always do the first change around 1-2K. A DIY full synthetic oil change is $12-20 nowadays so it's cheap peace of mind.

2020 V-6 Tacoma. I have a 2007 Tacoma with 340,000k miles. I change the oil at 500, 1,000 and then every
5,000k miles. Always synthetic. No issues. I've had numerous other vehicles and always changed oil at the
above mentioned intervals. Maybe not necessary but cheap peace of mind.

To this day, I don't get why people want to do things other what the MANUFACTURER says. They built the thing. They're the engineers. People always want to undermine the MANUFACTURER.

This has been discussed to death many, many times!

Absolutely leave the oil for at least 2-3K miles and/or 6months.

Tehn move to and appropriate OCI. That may be 6k miles, It may be 10K miles

Anything more frequent is a absolute waste of resources and DOES NOT HELP LONGEVITY.

And, How do you know the oil is synthetic?

I hope you are not going by what that tag line says on the bottle
smile.gif

That is meaningless ad copy.

Originally Posted by shrooms
To this day, I don't get why people want to do things other what the MANUFACTURER says. They built the thing. They're the engineers. People always want to undermine the MANUFACTURER.

What the engineers want at what goes in the O.M can be two different things.

I drove a toyota service camry when new and then 7 months later with 9K miles.

It had not had the 0W20 changed.

But the car ran GREAT new - all you cold ask for.

It was running like it was on its last legs at 9K.

Powerless, then vibrations and terrible racket out of the engine.

No way, Jay !

What it boils down to, is to do what makes you feel comfortable, not what other people on the internet say to do. Its your vehicle.

Originally Posted by window
2020 V-6 Tacoma. I have a 2007 Tacoma with 340,000k miles. I change the oil at 500, 1,000 and then every
5,000k miles. Always synthetic. No issues. I've had numerous other vehicles and always changed oil at the
above mentioned intervals. Maybe not necessary but cheap peace of mind.

This is why they don't test drug efficacy in this manner. You can't conclude anything from this. I am with the other gentleman who says to leave the oil in. The result will be the same, and you're just wasting oil.

Originally Posted by IveBeenRued
Like RamFan said, unless the manual states that there's a break-in oil from factory, I always do the first change around 1-2K. A DIY full synthetic oil change is $12-20 nowadays so it's cheap peace of mind.

Break in oil is the oil that is used during the break in period . No? Break in oil is marketing to the extreme. I will be prepared for the responses which will be a regurgitation of the marketing claims. I am bracing myself.

I would change it early, but this isn't 1978 either. I would never do the 500/1000/1,500 new charge break in change interval ever again. I don't know if "high-speed glazing" is an issue anymore either, but I would be worried about overhanging as much as not changing early. I wouldn't change it before 3K..

Originally Posted by window
Owner's Manual says 10,000 miles for first oil change. That seems a little high.
I won't hurt anything but with todays' technology am I just wasting time and money
changing it at half that (or earlier)?

I couldn't find anything in the Search box on this if it's been previously asked. Thanks.

I have seen people wait for the mfg recommendations and people that change the oil sooner. The question should be how long do you actually keep the vehicle?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by shrooms

I change oil based on what I believe best protects my investment.
For example, I service 3 Acura TSXs; our 2006 (197K), 2 2007s (85K and 140K).
We bought our 2006 new; I have serviced it at 4k to 5K intervals with mostly M1.
The 85K 2007 was bought new by my sister; she used the MM and used lube places with mostly Syn Blend I believe.
The 140K 2007 was purchased a year ago at a local Mercedes dealership so the history is largely unknown beyond Carfax, etc.

Guess which car does not go through any oil and under the valve cover is squeaky clean?
Hint: it has the most miles and is a 2006.
Just my experience.

Originally Posted by CT8

I have seen people wait for the mfg recommendations and people that change the oil sooner. The question should be how long do you actually keep the vehicle?

His older model is a 2007 Tacoma with 340,000k miles. I'm guessing he bought it new.

Been discussed 50K times and never any consensus in either direction, but based upon what I have done in the past (1st OC at 1K miles or so), there is a vast amount of metal in the oil the filter is not catching. To prove this all one needs to do is to take a CLEAN drain pan, do the OC, and then swirl the oil in the sunlight. More glitter there than a chorus line on Broadway...

Plenty of people who will argue against early OC's, but I say do what makes you feel comfortable.

Toyota has been known for decades, to boost their factory motor oils in new engines. There's been VOAs and UOAs here to prove it. However, if the new vehicle owner wants to discard, then so be it ..... discard what is very likely to be very good oil.

This is not your grandfather's Toyota. Toyota's today are HD, digitally produced. significant sized metals / alloys, running around the engine are no more. There's no more valve installer that goes to the bathroom inside the engine. He no longer throws cigarette butts or peanuts in the engine either. There are cameras there / almost everywhere in those factories.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CT8
Originally Posted by IveBeenRued

Break in oil is the oil that is used during the break in period . No? Break in oil is marketing to the extreme. I will be prepared for the responses which will be a regurgitation of the marketing claims. I am bracing myself.

Someone is feisty today.

Honda did (does?) utilize a high moly oil for their factory fill. Per Honda, to decrease events of poor break-in they recommended keeping the factory fill for the full OCI.

No marketing claims here, a statement of fact straight from the manufacturer.

Back