new valvoline "next gen" 50% recycled oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
this has to be the funniest part
HIGH MILEAGE--of course it's high mileage, it's been driven on by (hundreds?) of people already

I hope it's a flop-I will pick up a Tahoe load of it at .50/qt on clearance

Steve

Originally Posted By: addyguy
I don't know why, but I LOVE that green bottle!

Probably just b/c it's so different from what's usually out there. I'd buy it just for that, if it was availiable here!

Ha! +1, I was saying the same thing to myself. It looks like some motherboard, computer logo all spruced up.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: smithph
Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
Is Wmart replacing the VWB and ML with Nextgen versions or are these in addition to the standard VWB and ML sku's?

Just curious if I should add some ML red bottle to my stash while its on price rollback at $13.50.
grin.gif

I'd use their older spec'd MaxLife since it's a good deal when on rollback. Pick it up while you can, I'm sure it's not far off from the 'new' revision, and I believe it has more moly in the older bottles that say "Synthetic Blend" in yellow on the red bottles, than the newest bottles that dropped "Syn Blend" from the labels all together.

Hummmm may have to put Wally on the weekend todo list. Don't want to walk in there in a week or two and find they reset the oil isle and replaced all ML-Red with ML-Green bottles!

But my tree hugging daughter would love the green stuff... to score some ML-Red or score points with the daughter..... what to do what to do?
grin.gif

Well, don't worry, the ML-Red bottles will stay around. I doubt Valvoline is going to start ONLY carrying NextGen oils. Then again...

Just mailed off a sample of the Valvoline Maxlife Nextgen 5w-30 to Blackstone for a VOA. I will post the results when they come in.

They also had the regular Valvoline Nextgen which has the words 'Energy Conserving' at the bottom of the API label.

What I don't like about these recycled oils is the cost, they are the same cost or in some cases more than virgin oil which must be more expensive to manufacture than recycled oil. If it was cheaper then yes, I would consider it. But, Im not gonna pay a premium for used oil.

Just mailed off a sample of the Valvoline Maxlife Nextgen 5w-30 to Blackstone for a VOA. I will post the results when they come in.

They also had the regular Valvoline Nextgen which has the words 'Energy Conserving' at the bottom of the API label.

I finally got to see them in person yesterday, nice color scheme. Cleaver.

+1, on getting a VOA.

I'd have to smell it before I bought it. I never will forget the smell of recycled CITGO oil
I bought at a 7/11 store back in 1986. The smell of the stuff was absolutely horrid!!

We're talkin' Nasty!!
37.gif

Originally Posted By: JasonC
What I don't like about these recycled oils is the cost, they are the same cost or in some cases more than virgin oil which must be more expensive to manufacture than recycled oil. If it was cheaper then yes, I would consider it. But, Im not gonna pay a premium for used oil.

Agreed, let someone else save the planet, I'm gonna keep giving my used oil to a friend who heats his shop with the stuff...

Our country is in the mess it is in because of all the tree huggers. There is no good reason that gas should be 3.48/gallon today. Maybe they should focus more on stopping all the volcanos from going off.

Originally Posted By: Mark72
Our country is in the mess it is in because of all the tree huggers. There is no good reason that gas should be 3.48/gallon today. Maybe they should focus more on stopping all the volcanos from going off.

Gas would be cheaper if Americans weren't in love with pickup trucks and SUV's. No, I'm not a tree hugger. It's common sense. After the 1973 oil embargo lots of people traded in there huge gas guzzling cars for Hondas, Toyotas, Datsuns, and yes, even Pintos and Vegas. My Honda gets 38 mpg highway.
mad.gif

Originally Posted By: kender
Originally Posted By: Mark72

Gas would be cheaper if Americans weren't in love with pickup trucks and SUV's. No, I'm not a tree hugger. It's common sense. After the 1973 oil embargo lots of people traded in there huge gas guzzling cars for Hondas, Toyotas, Datsuns, and yes, even Pintos and Vegas. My Honda gets 38 mpg highway.
mad.gif

Supply and demand.
After the first oil shock, it was several years before you could give a large car away.
After the second oil shock, coincident with the fall of the Shah, gasoline hit $1.00/gallon, and it stayed there for about a decade.
The current price run-up is probably bringing on waves of buyer's remorse for those who figured it was safe to buy a truck as a daily driver/commuter.
Those who need trucks as work vehicles have little choice.
I don't like paying higher prices for fuel, but it doesn't hurt nearly as badly if you have a fairly economical fleet, as we do.

I think you'd have to ask Valvoline on that one.
Maybe they limit recycled content to 50% in order to control quality.

Looks like a lot of haters and doubters in here. When is the last time ashland/valvoline put out a bad product? They are no dummies and they certainly would not produce this new oil if it were no good.

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
I wonder if one could qualify for a tax brake or something by 'going green'? No pun intended.
lol.gif

Actually a tax incentive would be a good idea, it might draw more attention to the product and make it attractive to some people who are on the fence about it. Especially with the recent spike in oil prices.

the interesting question here is who is doing the Re-Refining for Ashland. i was under the impression that they no longer had any refineries of their own, and were just a blending operation now.

I have it in 2 of my vehicles right now. Bought it friday and guess what? It's seems to be just like every other oil i put in my engines. I get a kick out of people who think it's should be priced lower or want virgin new oil. You people kill me.Hey when a new oil comes out how bout we just wait till we get some sampling to judge it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back