Best oil for a 3rd gen 4Rnr w/261k on it?

Hi Folks!

Total noob here; apologies in advance for the lack of brevity, but the text in the “university” section encourages posters to provide as much info as possible b/c there’s some die hard oil geeks on here. Awesome! You are to whom I’m writing. That being said, I want to know what kind of oil to put in my old 4Runner.

Since I acquired my truck @ 165k, I have been running 20W-50 (unless I forgot to specify that @ the time of an oil change). My first truck had a GM 350 w/a Quadrajet, headers & cherry packs, and a guy at the gas station told me to always run 20W-50 “racing oil” in everything and I’ll never go wrong. For whatever reasons, that ‘advice’ has stuck with me for 35 years; however, recently I have begun to question the validity of it; after all, how could some gomer working at a Sunoco station in Scranton, PA know more than the Toyota engineers who designed the 3.4 litre 5VZ-FE DOHC V6 in my ‘98 4Runner – one of the most reliable “bulletproof” engines ever made by Toyota (or anyone else for that matter)? Yes, it is certainly possible that he could; however the likelihood is also low.

My truck’s 25 years old and has 261k on it; it’s clean, comfortable, reliable; it runs & shifts smoothly. It starts right up, doesn’t burn or drip oil and looks great. I love it and want to keep it for another 261k if I can. I have always had Toyota dealerships perform any services needed (including oil changes - at right around 5k miles). Since I try not to drive more than I must, my 5k oil change intervals often stretch to 10 months or more. But in rethinking my “always run 20W-50 oil” choice, I’m also thinking I should start changing my oil every 6 months (or 5k (which ever comes first)). And given 261k, I think I probably should “step-up” to changing my oil every 6 months, which would make me due right about now. But what oil should I use? Dino? Synth? API Service? Weight? I don’t care about the price (5 quarts of oil & a filter are cheap compared to an engine rebuild). But I also get the whole marketing thing and just because it’s expensive doesn’t mean it’s the correct product for my situation.

As years go by I have increasingly noticed that when I tell the service reps that I want 20W-50, they have to make special trips to an auto parts store because Toyota service centers don’t keep 20W-50 on hand anymore (in fact, 20W-50 is becoming harder to find at auto parts stores). Also as time marches on, machining and engine tolerances get tighter & more refined, and oil weights get ‘lighter’ to meet those higher tolerances. Who knows which auto parts store he went to or what brand of 20W-50 he could find during his lunch break. I’m staring to feel like, if I really care about my old 4Rnr, (and I do) then I ought to be providing the most appropriate, best quality oil available for them to use when changing it.

Owners’ manual recommends SAE 5W-30 for climates up to 100°F, 10W-30 for climates from 0°F to over 100°F, and API service SJ – Resource Conserving. (Quick aside note: API SJ is relatively “old” in 2023. But if I’ve read & understood correctly, API’s SL & SM are “backwards compatible”. I do not know if services past SM (SN, etc.) are backwards compatible.) Per my manual, the 5W-30 is ‘preferred.’ There is no recommended oil change interval in the manual (that I could find). I am considering a synthetic formulated for high mileage, with gasket and seal conditioners, and detergents for sludge and varnish removal. But in my paranoia, I cannot help but wonder if the 20W-50 is so thick it’s keeping seals from dripping and moreover, that stepping ‘down’ to the recommended 5W- or 10W-30 synthetic may facilitate drips where there haven’t been any before. Toyota’s 5VZ-FE engine is known to develop leaky valve cover gaskets; mine were changed (along with the oil pan gasket) @ 221k.

This truck lives at the beach in Southern California, so it’s never really very cold, (low 50’s constitute a ‘brutal cold snap’ around here) but we’ve been over 115°F a few times in recent memory. I always warm up to full operating temp before driving (even if the engine may not require that, it’s still good practice for an auto trans w/261k on it). I run 91 octane gas & don’t push it too hard: redline is 5500 rpm, (I rarely even get to 3500 rpm) and very few hard off-the-line starts or stops. My driving is a mix of city and highway. I like to say I drive like a grandpa but I am nonetheless an impatient driver – not rude, aggressive or angry, just no threshold for BS: people farting around with their phones when the light turns green, not using their indicators, merging at the last second, gutter snakes, or random braking for no discernable reason, etc., are all completely unacceptable behaviors, and those types need to be not in front of me.

Thanx for your time!

A very long book report for a basic question. I would use 10w-30 in your old 4 Runner. Today's specs are backward compatible to those of 1998.
I am now (and always have been) known for my "lengthy book reports". Thank you for taking a moment to respond!! 10W-30 is most likely my next & we'll see if drips commence. Thick oil is not a substitute for failing seals; it's at best a temporary work-around. Copy on the backwards compatibility - good to know!

Owners’ manual recommends SAE 5W-30 for climates up to 100°F, 10W-30 for climates from 0°F to over 100°F, and API service SJ – Resource Conserving.
Then use the recommended oil, 10w30 for your profile. A 20w50 is far too heavy for that and well off the charts for that spec. 20w50 is like molassis in cold weather and startups will cause the most harm to a typical user profile. Have you seen how slow 20w50 pumps?

Any of the majors makes a good full synthetic oil. Use with confidence, Castrol (currently there's a healthy rebate), Mobil1, Pennzoil, Valvoline, Quaker State, etc.

SJ was a spec 20 years ago. That engine will be spoiled on the current SN or SP specs, several iterations of lubrication improvements.

I am now (and always have been) known for my "lengthy book reports". Thank you for taking a moment to respond!! 10W-30 is most likely my next & we'll see if drips commence. Thick oil is not a substitute for failing seals; it's at best a temporary work-around. Copy on the backwards compatibility - good to know!
You could try a high mileage formula which might help those seals.

I've used everything from 5w-20 to 5w-40 in my 2000 4Runner. I didn't like the 5w-20 (noisy valve train). The 5w-30 ran great with great fuel economy. This year I'm using Euro 5w-40 and I think I will settle with this. Quiet, smooth operation with no noticeable hit to MPG.
My OCI is one year which means about 5k to 6k miles.
EDIT: Just under 300k miles now.

Since my OP, been looking around for oil online. Each company obviously had their own site composed of 'slick' marketing (pun not really intended), and I found the Amsoil site. Looked @ their HM formulations then tried to 'compare' with their other formulations. A 'table' popped up with their products listed in columns and qualities by row. There are checkmarks for where the 2 values intersect. Simple right? Not really: their HM gets 3 checkmarks for wear protection & 4 checks for cleanliness; however their signature product gets 5 checks for both (and for each of the other categories) - it's also their most expensive. But do more checkmarks mean even better protection??? Site doesn't say; the marketing just leads you assume (granted, that's the nature of all marketing). But is there such a thing as too much detergents, or too much seal conditioners (for a given situation)? 35 years ago I assumed the guy at the gas station was correct that 20W-50 is the best for everything because thicker oil must equate to better protection. I fear I will have to call them this week. :(

From my years of ignorance on the subject of motor oils (it's astounding how much is revealed by simply scratching the surface) and my admittedly limited recent efforts to change that, it seems to me that most oil manufacturers consider "high mileage" to be more than 75k. I'm closer to 4 times 75k than I am to 75k - which would be a "Super-HM" category. Haven't seen a "Super-HM" product line anywhere yet, but long may our old 4Runners roam!

A responder above mentioned that my engine would be "spoiled" on the new API specs. I'm happy to spoil it in terms of giving it better than it requires, but definitely do NOT want to spoil in terms of ruin, damage, or to cause to expire.

Definitely need to look @ other majors also; I'm not skeptical of their products; but am concerned about accurately gleaning the correct info (on which to base my ultimate decision) from their 'slickly produced' marketing presences.

Thank you! I appreciate you all's time & care taken to respond!!

I have an ‘01 4Runner with the same engine with 240k miles. Lately I’ve been using Mobil 1 0w40 Euro and it runs like a top.

Like another user above, I’ve tried several viscosities in it- 5w20, 5w30, 10w30, 5w40, and 0w40 and all did fine. In your climate you’re good to use any of those. Look into the Mobil 1 0w40, it contains AN’s and esters to help clean existing carbon deposits and varnish, which you most likely have. You can find it at Walmart at around $26 currently.

run Mobil 0W40 Euro and sleep well at night.

i have an uncle who would run the motor oils from the dollar store that were getting Red Flags from the PQIA in his Runner and that thing is still running. in one occasion i asked him what he was using and he brought out sae30 compressor oil he found on special. lol

i now provide him with cheap Rotella 15W-40 and he runs that in his 3rd gen, now

I run 5w-30 or 10w-30 in my 2008 Xterra with almost 400K miles on it. Spec is 5w-30. I have owned it since new - and it resides in lowcountry SC where its pretty hot. Chevron in it now - cheap from walmart.com. I have 12 quarts of 10w-30 Valvoline I bought on an amazon deal that will be used next. I stick with 3-4K OCI on that one. Worked so far.

No need to over think it.

Reactions: wlk
Yeah, I concur; definitely thinking there's carbon & varnish in there and am itchy to get a borescope in the combustion chamber to look @ the fuel side. [BTW: does anyone know about "steam cleaning" your CCs (https://www.toyotanation.com/threads/decarbonizing-the-combustion-chambers-in-my-engine.1484898/)? If I attempted something like this, I'd try to be a bit more academic and clinical about it, but the concept is interesting and (@ least on the surface) it seems to make sense.] As for the oil side, is there a way to easily check for varnish & / or carbon deposit build up without pulling valve covers or the oil pan?

Thanx again for all responses; times & efforts are truly touching!

P.S.: Copy on the not overthinking - guilty as charged!

P.P.S.: LOVE the 'running compressor oil in an old 4rnr': more anecdotal 'evidence' of how tough* these trucks are.

* If you like these trucks, you must watch the episode of Top Gear where they TRY to kill an old HiLux - the 'forefather' of the 4Runner (if interested, google 'Top Gear HiLux' (there're 3 parts)).

If you are worried about going to a 30 from a 50 maybe consider the high mileage variant of a 30 oil. I personally run high mileage in all of my vehicles with high mileage. One of my Camry’s is at almost 300k and another one past 200k and one not even close to those lol. I like to stick with what’s spec on the cap so I’d say any good high mileage 5W-30 oil would work. I had a small oil leak on the Camry with almost 300k and the high mileage has seemed to help seal it up for now. So definitely consider high mileage oil. I occasionally run 20W-50 in my truck which specs 10W-40 I’m not sure how easy you could find a high mileage 50 oil. I don’t think I’ve ever seen it come to think of it.

In case anyone may be interested, I sent the following product inquiry to Amsoil over the weekend: "Looked @ your High Mileage products then tried to 'compare' with your other formulations. A 'table' pops up with your products listed in columns and their qualities by rows. There are checkmarks for where the 2 values intersect. Simple right? Not really: your HM gets 3 checkmarks for wear protection & 4 checks for cleanliness; however your signature product gets 5 checks for both (and for each of the other categories). But do more checkmarks mean even better protection??? Site doesn't say; the marketing just leads one to assume (granted, that's the nature of all marketing). But is there such a thing as too much detergents, or too much seal conditioners (for a given situation)?"

They responded with: "Our Signature Series is overall our best fluid. It has the best performance, protection and longest service interval of all of our fluids. Our High Mileage oils are great oils that do have extra seal conditioners and offers an extended drain interval, but it is not as robust of a formulation as the Signature Series. I hope this is helpful."

Thanx again for all your time!

Back