Best value on Full Syn motor oil

With all of the different brands of motor oils out there, and opinions on this and that how can an average person decide on what is the best value oil for someone wanting to do ~6k mile OCI? I use a 5w-30 and have live in a location that sees hot summers and cold winters.
I could spend 100 hours reading complicated reports and watch Project Farm videos and others. I have been buying what ever is on sale in the Full Syn category and never had an engine failure in different cars for 40 yrs. I never noticed any difference. How can people say I try x or y and it did not work good in my engine? How are they judging it? I could just pay up for Ames Oil or can save $50 and buy the less expensive Walmart Supertec or Amazon Basics FS oils. Does it really matter in a practical sense? If it does matter, what is the best value on Full Syn oil? Does it have to be as complicated at it appears?
Nope, keep on trucking dude. Go any deeper, then welcome to the rabbit hole. It’s pretty cool. Someone posted a lubrication explained video about copper and I found my amateur self a little giddy.

With all of the different brands of motor oils out there, and opinions on this and that how can an average person decide on what is the best value oil for someone wanting to do ~6k mile OCI? I use a 5w-30 and have live in a location that sees hot summers and cold winters.
I could spend 100 hours reading complicated reports and watch Project Farm videos and others. I have been buying what ever is on sale in the Full Syn category and never had an engine failure in different cars for 40 yrs. I never noticed any difference. How can people say I try x or y and it did not work good in my engine? How are they judging it? I could just pay up for Ames Oil or can save $50 and buy the less expensive Walmart Supertec or Amazon Basics FS oils. Does it really matter in a practical sense? If it does matter, what is the best value on Full Syn oil? Does it have to be as complicated at it appears?
Driving style?
Make?
Model?
Engine?
Year?

Darn good thing were all here to complicate your decision.

In order to help you we need your zodiac sign, shoe size, and moon phase at intended time of oil change.

Or you can start here: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/forums/product-rebates-sales-and-promotions.33/
Thanks. I just missed out on the Penzoil Platimum rebate by a few weeks. My gut feeling was pretty much confirmed with most of the answers.

I am not going to get into the car details. They are just basic vehicles. Not race cars or taxi cabs that run 23 hours a day. I think I have enough info to sleep well enough at night. HA HA.
Thanks

Thanks. I just missed out on the Penzoil Platimum rebate by a few weeks. My gut feeling was pretty much confirmed with most of the answers.

I am not going to get into the car details. They are just basic vehicles. Not race cars or taxi cabs that run 23 hours a day. I think I have enough info to sleep well enough at night. HA HA.
Thanks
Pennzoil rebate goes until September so you still have time.

Other than this, just use the cheapest oil that meets your car's spec. Or, as others said, you could spend hours perusing the pros/cons of various brands. But in the end, just like most rankings on the interwebs, there is very little difference between good/better/best formulations that meet the same certification.

Last edited:
I thought the link said The Penzoil $25 rebate expired on 2/1/24. But on another thread it said it starts then. Anyway, it all comes down to weather or not they will accept the retailer you buy from. Correct? I saw some saying it worked at my local Walmart implying it is location dependent also? Am I reading that correctly?

I thought the link said The Penzoil $25 rebate expired on 2/1/24. But on another thread it said it starts then. Anyway, it all comes down to weather or not they will accept the retailer you buy from. Correct? I saw some saying it worked at my local Walmart implying it is location dependent also? Am I reading that correctly?
The rebate period is 2/1/24 - 9/30/24. The list of retailers can be found at Pennzoil.com rebate page. Walmart is listed, but only in-store purchases; walmart.com is not valid. Some other retailers can be in-store or online.

Quaker State Ultimate Protection and there Full synthetic line are hard to beat for the price. Rebates and clearances take the sting out of others but walking into Walmart and coming out with a $20 jug of QS is easiest.
+1 with advice from wlk above … Quaker State recommendations are what you want and 5,000 mile / 6 month oil change intervals are easiest to remember and will serve you well .

Began 2/1/24 .

Back