2016 Mustang GT oil recommendation

For the 8 years I've owned my Mustang GT (5.0 DOHC engine), I've had a Ford dealer do the oil & filter changes every 5K miles or so. I think they used Motorcraft semi-synthetic (whatever that means) and a Motorcraft filter.

I moved a few years ago, and now my nearest Ford dealer tends to overfill and even spill, so I've decided to start doing the work myself and need some advice. Is the Mobil 1 5W-20 at Wal-Mart made exclusively for them to meet a price point, or is it the same thing that auto parts store sell for 40%-50% more? And what would you suggest for oil filter and air filter? The car has 38K miles on it.

Mobil1 sold at Walmart is not made for a price, it’s the same exact mobile one you can buy anywhere else and it Has to be by API regulations … If I’ve said that correctly. Mobi1 may be sold cheaper at Walmart but that’s only because they buy more of it. Walmart SuperTech Synthetic & ST filters is equal if not better than Motorcraft synthetic blend oil and MC filters.

I’m not saying not to use Mobil1 or other brand name oils & filters. Use any good oil & filter in your price range(including ST) from your favorite store and you’ll be more than fine.

If you drive your car hard or ever take it to the track then you may want better oils. Otherwise you’ll be just fine purchasing by price. Including; SuperTech, Kirkland, Amazon Basics.

Last edited:
Walmart SuperTech Synthetic & ST filters is equal if not better than Motorcraft synthetic blend oil and MC filters.
I forgot about SuperTech, so thanks for bringing it up. I had used it in my wife's previous car, based on recommendations here.

For the 8 years I've owned my Mustang GT (5.0 DOHC engine), I've had a Ford dealer do the oil & filter changes every 5K miles or so. I think they used Motorcraft semi-synthetic (whatever that means) and a Motorcraft filter.

I moved a few years ago, and now my nearest Ford dealer tends to overfill and even spill, so I've decided to start doing the work myself and need some advice. Is the Mobil 1 5W-20 at Wal-Mart made exclusively for them to meet a price point, or is it the same thing that auto parts store sell for 40%-50% more? And what would you suggest for oil filter and air filter? The car has 38K miles on it.
The oil is the same regardless of vendor, and if you take advantage of the part store's oil+filter deals I think you'll find they're on-par or cheaper than Wal-Mart.

While my engine (2019 GT with a gen 3 coyote) was under warranty I ran Mobil 1 (twice), Valvoline, and Castrol 5W-20 through my 2019 GT over long intervals 8-10k miles. Aside from some differences in the additives, Valvoline had a significantly higher amount of moly and Castrol has titanium for example, they all held up and there was no significant differences in measured wear metals.

Well aside from the second time using Mobil 1 when I was trying to test air filter flow rates and repeatedly ran my car down a flat 2 miles stretch of highway at 7000 rpm. Aluminum went up a by like 6 ppm above normal, but that was not a normal use case.

Run whatever is on sale, or has an attractive manufacturer promo, or gets you bonus store reward points, or just has a pretty jug color. Any API SP oil over a short interval will be fine, and there’s no difference if you buy the oil at Walmart, Autozone, Advanced Auto, NAPA, etc

Walmart has cheaper base prices on oil but you have to add on an extra $10 to get the filter which often doesn’t make the end price very difference from a 5 quart + filter combo from a place like Advanced Auto.

I’d also switch to 5w-30

If you’re picky and want to be brand specific Mobil 1 is great oil. As mentioned Walmart has buying power to keep prices where they do. You could buy whatever goes on sale in full synthetic 5w20 or pick a brand and stick with it. My choices if it were my car would be Mobil 1 or pennzoil platinum as for filters motorcraft, wix, even the ecogard and microgard are stout filters made overseas.

Last edited:
I run Mobil 1 Advanced 5W20 I usually get it at Walmart, Sam's club or Amazon. Whoever has the lowest price. Air filter I usually go with Motorcraft. Oil filters, I will be using Premium Guard XL my next oil change, prior to that, I was using Purolator One or Wix I still have a Purolator One up on the shelf, I will use down the road, I also have Motorcraft up on the shelf as well..

Royal Purple HPS 5-30, in 5 gallon pales, is pretty reasonable and there is a good bit less plastic waste.

Mobil 1 Euro 0-40 in the 12Qt "garage pack" is also pretty reasonable with a good bit less plastic waste.

I like red!!
Why can't I get Motorcraft red in synthetic at Walmart? 🤣🤣
I’ve seen Motorcraft semi-synth at Walmart but not the full synth, actually I don’t think I’ve ever seen Motorcraft full synth on a store shelf.

If you like red there’s also Schaeffers but I’ve only seen that at race shops.

Lots of 2015+ Mustang 5.0L guys use Valvoline Advanced or Extended Protection and some have said it helps quiet down the typewriter tick if their engine has it. Lot of those guys also go with 5W-30 instead of 5W-20.

Back