new valvoline "next gen" 50% recycled oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Capa
Too high priced for re-refined/used oil for me and probably most to be willing to be a guinea pig. This is possibly the future but it will only succeed when normal oil prices skyrocket.
This is the attitude thats got us in the pickle where we are. I cant wait to hear all the whining (yet again) from vehicle owners that get under 25 MPG about the $4- a gallon gasoline next month.

I'd imagine this is the first of many brands that will do the same. I'd run it - in fact I'm really curious about how good it would do on my 9k OCI's..

defektes said:
agree'd i would have paid 10 bucks for it, but at that price i'll go with fresh virgin oil.
quote]

But you're supposed to feel all warm inside, saving the planet and all!

On the other hand, I thought all used oil was put to secondary use (e.g. boiler fuel), so re-refining is just a gimmick from an environmental standpoint. There will be plenty of uses for used oil without individuals buying it retail.

I wonder who's going to be the first jerk to return their used oil to walmart in one of these jugs.

"I don't want it-- it's half used already!"

Saw the Next Gen green bottles at Walmart this morning ... same $4.57 price as regular Valvoline. I believe it was API SN. I'd like to see a VOA on this stuff.

My wife and I do research on "green marketing" as a strategy. There is undoubtedly a market for green and there are people who are willing to pay more for green products. Whether this product will succeed for Valvoline will depend upon many factors, not the least of which is the company's ability to convince people of product effectiveness. However, there is no doubt that somebody (most likely more than one) will succeed with this strategy. And given the ongoing and currently acute instability in the middle east, I say it's about time.

When this stuff shows up at my local Wal-Mart I will buy it and use it exclusively in my vehicles. Superstitious luddites on this site can continue parading their ignorance if they wish.

Just called a participating VOC location and their NextGen OC's are only $5 more than non-recycled OC. They carry NextGen in conventional, Durablend and MaxLife. Valvoline has a coupon for $6 off that nets a $1 savings. If I didn't change my own oil, at that price it's worth trying since it qualifies for the Valvoline engine warranty.

Originally Posted By: scurvy
Originally Posted By: chet2
i am not too thrilled about putting some oil that once had 30k on it in my car

Originally Posted By: defektes
agree'd i would have paid 10 bucks for it, but at that price i'll go with fresh virgin oil.

I really don't understand this astounding misconception at all. Recycled oil has be RE-REFINED. Which means you're starting out with a basestock going into the refinery that's almost the same as the finished product, which is a much better situation than heavy crude going into the refinery! Seriously, think about it.

This is the same as thinking recycled aluminum cans are just filled by another company instead of being crushed, resmelted with new alloying agents, recast into ingots, rerolled into new plate & sent through a canmaking line.

21.gif

I don't see why anyone wouldn't want re-refined oil, personally.

...originally crude oil is dirtier than ANY oil out of an engine before it's "refined", basically fancy for recycled? All oil we use is put through a refining("recycling") process.

On the one hand, Valvoline is producing a product that is better for the envrionment. However, they still recommend a 3k oci which = not so good for the environment.

it has to be easier to make than virgin oil and i know its cheaper than crude, its used motor oil. so why not a cheaper price?

Originally Posted By: electrolover
it has to be easier to make than virgin oil and i know its cheaper than crude, its used motor oil. so why not a cheaper price?

I'm guessing the add pack, maybe?

I'd by willing to try it, but I too think it is a bit pricey. A few bucks cheaper, and I'll give it a shot.

Granted, I'm pretty sure that they do not want to give it a cheaper than new, so that people think that it would not be as good....

I'd use it in a heartbeat.

...but it ain't up here....we just get SK's 'Ecopower' syn-blend oil for 'green' alternatives....

Originally Posted By: chet2
i saw it in a unopened box ready to be put on shelf at china mart tonite...it claims to be better than SN oils minimum standards i assume...it comes in a green bottle and is 13.50 a jug, i mightve bought some for 10$ but i am not too thrilled about putting some oil that once had 30k on it in my car although i am sure it is fine..you guys can be the guinea pigs

For a 5 quart jug? That is a good price. It's cheaper than VWB. I wouldn't hesitate to use it, although OTOH I need to finish the oil in my stash first.
wink.gif

The local Delta Sonic Gas Station/Quick Lube has been using Safety Kleen Eco-Power Recycled oil for about a year now.

http://deltasoniccarwash.com/oilchange/index.htm

When it first came out, it was a $25.99 oil change, now I see they are charging a 7 dollar premium for the recycled oil or the high mileage oil. They were really touting it as a "green" oil and all the yuppies are buying it up.

Shouldn't re-refined oil be a little cheaper? I have seen the eco power in bottles, it is more than just about any other dino on the shelf.

I would use it in five seconds, but I'm not going to pay a premium for it or any other oil when Mobil Super is $11.50 per jug.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
The local Delta Sonic Gas Station/Quick Lube has been using Safety Kleen Eco-Power Recycled oil for about a year now.

http://deltasoniccarwash.com/oilchange/index.htm

When it first came out, it was a $25.99 oil change, now I see they are charging a 7 dollar premium for the recycled oil or the high mileage oil. They were really touting it as a "green" oil and all the yuppies are buying it up.

Shouldn't re-refined oil be a little cheaper? I have seen the eco power in bottles, it is more than just about any other dino on the shelf.

I would use it in five seconds, but I'm not going to pay a premium for it or any other oil when Mobil Super is $11.50 per jug.

Ah extra 7bucks? Ouch!

Originally Posted By: stubbakatt
I looked up the msds on Ashland's site, and there is also Nextgen Durablend and Nextgen Maxlife. Interesting

Would you please provide a link to it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back