new valvoline "next gen" 50% recycled oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I know this has been covered before but this is what has always concerned me about these products. People who recycle oil mix other things into the oil like: solvents, paint, paint thinner, brake fluid ATF, anti-freeze, Chlordane [yes I read that somewhere], etc, etc. etc. to get rid of it. It might be the greatest thing since sliced bread, but not at the cost they offer it for. I'll stick with the tried and true, dino for the beater, synthetic in the E-150 and Jeep. JMO

Who knows maybe when I learn more about it and see some actual testimony from people I trust, not marketing hype, and results I can verify, I might give it a shot.

I guess we're lucky that "regular" oil flows clean out of the ground.....luckily nothing's mixed with it down there.

More people should really take chemistry....

Originally Posted By: jsjonz01
What kind of base stock do you end up with? There is no guarantee that the used oil is still Valvoline, right? Couldn't it be a mixture of several different brands after the recycling process has been completed? Just some questions... I support this idea, and I also am a Valvoline user.

Yes, when God put crude in the ground, he made sure the Valvoline Oil people knew which oil was theirs.....I mean, what if they accidentally pulled out Mobil crude? How embarassing....

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
I don't mind reading a newspaper made of recycled paper.
When it comes to a product which is protecting my $4000 engine, I'm a little more difficult to convince. If it were available at a price significantly less than regular dino oil, I would buy it and put it in my lawnmower. But I would want to see a fully informative spec sheet on it before I would use it in a car. I'm uncomfortable with the idea of the random mix of motor oil, tranny fluid, hydraulic fluid, machine oil, cutting fluids, and gear oil, whether conventional or synthetic, that makes up 50% of NextGen's base stock. How do they assure quality from batch to batch?

How does Valvoline currently control quality from batch to batch on "regular" oils? Well, that's how they do it here...... BTW, all those oils you mention also come from crude. HMMMMM....wonder if there's a method to seperate it.......(hint: distillation)..

Really.....my faith in BTOG is fading fast.....

Originally Posted By: Mark72
It REALLY torks me off that things like this cost more as well as E85. For the "explitive" fuel economy you get with E85, it should be much less than what it currently is priced compared to regular gas. It's a joke. I don't know why, but this gives me a bad feeling toward not using Valvoline again. I don't very often, but every once in a while I do. Not anymore. Tired of this micky mouse B S. It's just the government butting in again and the oil company furhter bending over to make them happy.

E85 is cheaper than gas in some parts of the country, more expensive in others. It's about 30 cents cheaper here than 87 octane.

Originally Posted By: dakota99
Pics for the hungry.

+1, for the pics.

Pics for the hungry.

Thanks for the pics. I'm still waiting for my walmart to carry it. $16.00 is not bad for the Maxlife variant.

Originally Posted By: turbochem
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I know this has been covered before but this is what has always concerned me about these products. People who recycle oil mix other things into the oil like: solvents, paint, paint thinner, brake fluid ATF, anti-freeze, Chlordane [yes I read that somewhere], etc, etc. etc. to get rid of it. It might be the greatest thing since sliced bread, but not at the cost they offer it for. I'll stick with the tried and true, dino for the beater, synthetic in the E-150 and Jeep. JMO

Who knows maybe when I learn more about it and see some actual testimony from people I trust, not marketing hype, and results I can verify, I might give it a shot.

I guess we're lucky that "regular" oil flows clean out of the ground.....luckily nothing's mixed with it down there.

More people should really take chemistry....

Try it and let us know how it works. Then when enough people I trust report back favorably I'll consider it. Since no one has reported on it as of yet, all we have is marketing hype, and a lousy web page at work, and nothing more. It could be the very greatest, and if it is, I'm in! At the current price and with all the great oils on the market I'm not seeing any value in it. I even said " I might even give it a shot". BTW I'm well aware of where oil comes from. I simply stated what always concerned me about those products. Nothing more. It could be the wave of the future too, by then it will have proven itself many times over.

Really.....my faith in BTOG is fading fast.....

Between this thread and the G Oil thread, it's nearly gone for me...

I don't mind reading a newspaper made of recycled paper.
When it comes to a product which is protecting my $4000 engine, I'm a little more difficult to convince. If it were available at a price significantly less than regular dino oil, I would buy it and put it in my lawnmower. But I would want to see a fully informative spec sheet on it before I would use it in a car. I'm uncomfortable with the idea of the random mix of motor oil, tranny fluid, hydraulic fluid, machine oil, cutting fluids, and gear oil, whether conventional or synthetic, that makes up 50% of NextGen's base stock. How do they assure quality from batch to batch?

How does Valvoline currently control quality from batch to batch on "regular" oils? Well, that's how they do it here...... BTW, all those oils you mention also come from crude. HMMMMM....wonder if there's a method to seperate it.......(hint: distillation)..

Bingo! They have to run the used oil through another distillation process. This takes energy. How much energy are they really saving by refining the oil again? But distillation only allows them to control molecular weight. What about the actual chemical form of the hydrocarbon chains? Maybe if they severely hydrocrack whatever is in there, they can make a faux-GrpIII base stock.

Then they could crank up the marketing hyperbole and call it "A Synthetic Blend Composed of 50% Post-Consumer Base Stock". That will get rid of the ugly stigma of "recycled oil." And since they're already putting it in a green bottle, they can charge 15 bucks a quart and sell it to gullible greenies.

But I give Valvoline more credit than that. They make it clear on the bottle that the oil is 50% recycled content. I think Valvoline makes good products, and have used them in the past. Since the oil is API certified, you could put it in your engine and it would work OK. I just don't see the logic in paying as much for it as conventional motor oil.

Pics for the hungry.

nextgenoil1.jpg

Does it bother anybody here that the API service symbol does not have the "Resource Conserving" endorsement? Seems a little ironic to me.

That IS interesting...since the "resource conserving" standard is different than the SN standard, maybe they didn't want to wait on API testing before getting the product out to market. Or maybe they didn't want to pay extra for the license to save on costs.

I remember reading on BITOG about a question (I think Johnny) asked of QS of why they did not put the API donut on their high mileage oil, the response was that they didn't want to confuse consumers with older engines that might think they still needed SJ or some other rated oil...

It would surprise me that virtually every other oil on the market can be labeled as resource conserving but that a re-refined content oil can't. I doubt that there's anything inherent in re-refined oil that makes it unsuitable to pass API resource conserving tests...

The picture is of the Max Life version. High mileage oils don't typically pass the "Resource/Energy Conserving" requirements. I'll bet the standard versions of the NextGen oil are Resource Conserving.

That could be, but I thought that the Resource Conserving stamp took more into consideration than just fuel economy. I thought that aspects such as "well-to-wheels" energy use were also considered. The NextGen oil should definitely help with that.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
The picture is of the Max Life version. High mileage oils don't typically pass the "Resource/Energy Conserving" requirements. I'll bet the standard versions of the NextGen oil are Resource Conserving.

+1.

Not sure why anyone can be upset about valvoline's recycled oil. Safety Kleen has had recycled oil for years now. Its good marketing for Ashland. If it meets API spec's then what? Price point sensitive, sure. According to SK's website it utilizes 85% less energy versus virgin-

http://www.safety-kleen.com/products/OilProducts/Pages/EcoPower.aspx

We had similar comments years ago too...

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1971495&page=1

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1329710

Last edited:
That could be, but I thought that the Resource Conserving stamp took more into consideration than just fuel economy. I thought that aspects such as "well-to-wheels" energy use were also considered.

That could be, but I don't know if that's true or not. Almost universally, with SuperTech High Mileage being the curious exception, no high mileage oil has the Energy/Resource Conserving label on the API donut. Even Mobil 1 High Mileage synthetic does not. I think it has to do with additives inherent to the high mileage type oils. Although the viscosity grade (5W-30 I think in this case) is well within "Energy Conserving" range, as opposed to a 20W-50 for example, certain seal swellers and other additives apparently have a higher friction level inside the engine.

At least that's the way I understand it. Hopefully, somebody with a more thorough technical understanding can enlighten us and me.

Pics for the hungry.

nextgenoil1.jpg

Does it bother anybody here that the API service symbol does not have the "Resource Conserving" endorsement? Seems a little ironic to me.

It's not energy conserving because Maxlife is on the thicker end of each grade.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Pics for the hungry.

nextgenoil1.jpg

It's not energy conserving because Maxlife is on the thicker end of each grade.

True, may explain other 'hm' oils not failing to get the stamp in question. If they aren't heavier, but within spec of each grade.

I was checking on the FAQ pages on Valvoline's website, reading up on MaxLife, and there was a question about why ML did not have the API starburst emblem. Valvoline said it was because ML did not pass the test required to prove higher fuel economy. Their ML oils do have high viscosity numbers. Maybe this is a similar situation with NextGen HM.

Is Wmart replacing the VWB and ML with Nextgen versions or are these in addition to the standard VWB and ML sku's?

Just curious if I should add some ML red bottle to my stash while its on price rollback at $13.50.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: smithph
Is Wmart replacing the VWB and ML with Nextgen versions or are these in addition to the standard VWB and ML sku's?

Just curious if I should add some ML red bottle to my stash while its on price rollback at $13.50.
grin.gif

I'd use their older spec'd MaxLife since it's a good deal when on rollback. Pick it up while you can, I'm sure it's not far off from the 'new' revision, and I believe it has more moly in the older bottles that say "Synthetic Blend" in yellow on the red bottles, than the newest bottles that dropped "Syn Blend" from the labels all together.

I don't know why, but I LOVE that green bottle!

Probably just b/c it's so different from what's usually out there. I'd buy it just for that, if it was availiable here!

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
Originally Posted By: smithph

grin.gif

I'd use their older spec'd MaxLife since it's a good deal when on rollback. Pick it up while you can, I'm sure it's not far off from the 'new' revision, and I believe it has more moly in the older bottles that say "Synthetic Blend" in yellow on the red bottles, than the newest bottles that dropped "Syn Blend" from the labels all together.

Hummmm may have to put Wally on the weekend todo list. Don't want to walk in there in a week or two and find they reset the oil isle and replaced all ML-Red with ML-Green bottles!

But my tree hugging daughter would love the green stuff... to score some ML-Red or score points with the daughter..... what to do what to do?
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back