new valvoline "next gen" 50% recycled oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this has been covered before but this is what has always concerned me about these products. People who recycle oil mix other things into the oil like: solvents, paint, paint thinner, brake fluid ATF, anti-freeze, Chlordane [yes I read that somewhere], etc, etc. etc. to get rid of it. It might be the greatest thing since sliced bread, but not at the cost they offer it for. I'll stick with the tried and true, dino for the beater, synthetic in the E-150 and Jeep. JMO

Who knows maybe when I learn more about it and see some actual testimony from people I trust, not marketing hype, and results I can verify, I might give it a shot.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I know this has been covered before but this is what has always concerned me about these products. People who recycle oil mix other things into the oil like: solvents, paint, paint thinner, brake fluid ATF, anti-freeze, Chlordane [yes I read that somewhere], etc, etc. etc. to get rid of it. It might be the greatest thing since sliced bread, but not at the cost they offer it for. I'll stick with the tried and true, dino for the beater, synthetic in the E-150 and Jeep. JMO

Who knows maybe when I learn more about it and see some actual testimony from people I trust, not marketing hype, and results I can verify, I might give it a shot.

Good points and I don't blame you.

Originally Posted By: biodiesel
Originally Posted By: stubbakatt
I looked up the msds on Ashland's site, and there is also Nextgen Durablend and Nextgen Maxlife. Interesting

Would you please provide a link to it?

just go to http://msds.ashland.com and type nextgen in the search box.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

If you are worried about contaminants, you should learn how the refinement process works. All of that stuff won't make it and using recycled oil produces a higher quality base stock than conventional. Recycled oils are going to be Grp III base stock for the most part. I think that is why you'll see the prices a bit higher for it.

Originally Posted By: ChuckBerry
When this stuff shows up at my local Wal-Mart I will buy it and use it exclusively in my vehicles. Superstitious luddites on this site can continue parading their ignorance if they wish.

If it was Pennzoil rather than Valvoline, the response would not be scoffing but rather a crowd of O-faces.

Yeah...wonder what the response would be if Amsoil came out with a similar product for 5 dollars more per quart?

People would be screamingly angry and would continue the hate on Amsoil theme.

The question to ask, is what if CASTROL came out with such a product, AND it made your engine really quiet?

Yeah...wonder what the response would be if Amsoil came out with a similar product for 5 dollars more per quart?

LOL they'd sell it at a premium price. j/k on a more serious note, if the product catches on all the companies will do it.

What kind of base stock do you end up with? There is no guarantee that the used oil is still Valvoline, right? Couldn't it be a mixture of several different brands after the recycling process has been completed? Just some questions... I support this idea, and I also am a Valvoline user.

Love it.

I'd imagine within my lifetime (early 30's), most all lubricating oils will contain some percentage of recycled stock. It may take a while, but look at papers and plastics. Many of our purchased products already contain recycled materials.

Oil's next.

Of course it's valvoline; they are the ones refining it.

Originally Posted By: jsjonz01
What kind of base stock do you end up with? There is no guarantee that the used oil is still Valvoline, right? Couldn't it be a mixture of several different brands after the recycling process has been completed? Just some questions... I support this idea, and I also am a Valvoline user.

Originally Posted By: Virtuoso
Love it.

I'd imagine within my lifetime (early 30's), most all lubricating oils will contain some percentage of recycled stock. It may take a while, but look at papers and plastics. Many of our purchased products already contain recycled materials.

Oil's next.

I don't mind reading a newspaper made of recycled paper.
When it comes to a product which is protecting my $4000 engine, I'm a little more difficult to convince. If it were available at a price significantly less than regular dino oil, I would buy it and put it in my lawnmower. But I would want to see a fully informative spec sheet on it before I would use it in a car. I'm uncomfortable with the idea of the random mix of motor oil, tranny fluid, hydraulic fluid, machine oil, cutting fluids, and gear oil, whether conventional or synthetic, that makes up 50% of NextGen's base stock. How do they assure quality from batch to batch?

Last edited:
It REALLY torks me off that things like this cost more as well as E85. For the "explitive" fuel economy you get with E85, it should be much less than what it currently is priced compared to regular gas. It's a joke. I don't know why, but this gives me a bad feeling toward not using Valvoline again. I don't very often, but every once in a while I do. Not anymore. Tired of this micky mouse B S. It's just the government butting in again and the oil company furhter bending over to make them happy.

Last edited:
Pics for the hungry.

nextgenoil1.jpg

nextgenoil2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back