new valvoline "next gen" 50% recycled oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
i saw it in a unopened box ready to be put on shelf at china mart tonite...it claims to be better than SN oils minimum standards i assume...it comes in a green bottle and is 13.50 a jug, i mightve bought some for 10$ but i am not too thrilled about putting some oil that once had 30k on it in my car although i am sure it is fine..you guys can be the guinea pigs

Originally Posted By: chet2
i saw it in a unopened box ready to be put on shelf at china mart tonite...it claims to be better than SN oils minimum standards i assume...it comes in a green bottle and is 13.50 a jug, i mightve bought some for 10$ but i am not too thrilled about putting some oil that once had 30k on it in my car although i am sure it is fine..you guys can be the guinea pigs

Yeah, $13.50 seems a little high for unknown sourced recycled oil when regular "new" oil costs the same. I am sure that the oil is processed and re-refined to be ok and recycled oil will probably be the norm w/in the next 10 years, but until then - I'm sticking with new oil.

agree'd i would have paid 10 bucks for it, but at that price i'll go with fresh virgin oil.

although this is probably a good move by valvoline to get all the greenies to buy it.

Junior, SN oil is new standard from american petroleum institute that oils have to meet to be certified by them...sm was previous rating from 2004 to 2010...the latest standard for ilsac is gf 5 so look on back of bottle for oils with sn or gf 5 rating, the oils have to be very tough to be ilsac or api certified

Nice, I'll be on the lookout for it. I don't know why some people hesitate to put this in their engines...it's been through the refining process. It's not like fresh virgin oil came from underground after millions of years already SN rated.

they should only sell it in california and charge 36 a jug. then the tree huggers will be all over it.
1) its high dollar
2) its green

if there are any two things that will make something sell out west its being expensive and green
smile.gif

I looked up the msds on Ashland's site, and there is also Nextgen Durablend and Nextgen Maxlife. Interesting

Originally Posted By: stubbakatt
Nice, I'll be on the lookout for it. I don't know why some people hesitate to put this in their engines...it's been through the refining process. It's not like fresh virgin oil came from underground after millions of years already SN rated.

i wonder what it looks like coming out of the bottle?
when i was a kid recycled oil had an ugly green tint to it, not to mention it was as thick as crisco

I actually like the move.

Their advertising looks like ASUS and Gigabyte, haha.

On a serious note, I wouldn't hesitate to run it as long as people do dino now. Probably better than most 2nd/3rd rate labeled 'brands' of oil out there.

Originally Posted By: stubbakatt

Oil never wears out, it just becomes dirty and contaminated. Recycled oil is as good as new virgin oil. As mentioned, have you seen the crude oil before it refine? Not exactly "clean looking"

IIRC, wear numbers are better as oil oxidizes when comparing new/fresh oil 3k OCIs to used oil 4-5k OCIs with dino. Refined/recycled oils are intriguing: removed wear metals and other elements from previous use, replenished the add-pack, and add a percentage of new oil to have a recycled oil that meets current standards. You have the best of both worlds - filtered oxidized oil and a fresh add-pack. I'd use it in place of a dino for a 4-5k OCI.

Good move on the part of Valvoline/Ashland. The price of motor oil, along with other commodities will be sky high soon and will just continue to rise.

Recycled oil, that has all the attributes of of synthetic with the add pack, is great news.

It's about time that we reuse oil....as oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: chet2
i am not too thrilled about putting some oil that once had 30k on it in my car

Originally Posted By: defektes
agree'd i would have paid 10 bucks for it, but at that price i'll go with fresh virgin oil.

I really don't understand this astounding misconception at all. Recycled oil has be RE-REFINED. Which means you're starting out with a basestock going into the refinery that's almost the same as the finished product, which is a much better situation than heavy crude going into the refinery! Seriously, think about it.

This is the same as thinking recycled aluminum cans are just filled by another company instead of being crushed, resmelted with new alloying agents, recast into ingots, rerolled into new plate & sent through a canmaking line.

21.gif

I don't see why anyone wouldn't want re-refined oil, personally.

Too high priced for re-refined/used oil for me and probably most to be willing to be a guinea pig. This is possibly the future but it will only succeed when normal oil prices skyrocket.

Originally Posted By: electrolover
i wonder what it looks like coming out of the bottle?
when i was a kid recycled oil had an ugly green tint to it, not to mention it was as thick as crisco
Sorry, you're not going to put any fear of this stuff in to my belly. The logistics (and "greeness") of trucking this stuff to the refinery is a bit mind boggling though. I suppose it could go by tanker from the major coastal port collection zones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back