New SUV for mother in law

CVTs make me nervous too and we have two of them.
They both work perfectly and I mean perfectly with no issues. However, their reputation causes me concern for their longevity. I have maintained them both at/before their recommended service interval.

I know of only a two members here at BITOG with over 300K miles on their CVTs and several folks on the outside of this community with ~200K miles without any issues. But, those 300K-ers seems to be more the exception than the rule.

Last edited:
How are the cvt transmissions from Honda? The Hyundai/kia products have the gdi engines but I guess they've got the carbon issues figured out?
Thoughts on the escape 3cly the timing belt is an oil bath style? Very weird I've never dealt with that technology.
They are among the best, if not the best in the industry. I heard from a Honda source that as of 2019 the failure rate of their CVTs was lower than their other transmissions which have come a long way. My dad has one in his Civic and during normal driving you'd be hard pressed to tell it's not conventional. I'd buy a Honda CVT with confidence.

That's good to know. Cvt anything makes me nervous but if Honda did it right then I guess it's ok. How are they to drive?
It drove great honestly. I really enjoyed the vehicle. Only got rid of it since we had a kid and wanted rear AC vents, so I took our paid off CRV (no rear AC vents) and bought my wife a Pilot.

Update: went and test drove a bunch of things. She likes the hrv quite a lot and the compass. The compass similarly equipped is 5k less than the hrv and this particular dealership offers lifetime power train warranty. She didn't like the seats in the Tiguan. The Kona was to small, couldn't find a Tuscon, Mazda had no deals so she didn't want to check them out. No Toyota dealer has anything in her price range near by neither does Subaru. Finding cars during covid has been "fun". The Kia dealer had the seltos which was honestly pretty cheap feeling and she didn't like the Sportage. The hrv was pretty decent. The compass wasn't bad though either. Probably not as good as the Honda but price and warranty is definitely a factor

The Honda HRV is in the sub compact SUV segment, personally I would try to go for a CUV (RAV4 sized vehicle).

The Mazda CX-5 and Tiguan would be worth driving. You could always walk in to the Toyota dealer and see if they would cut a deal on a RAV4. Won’t know until you try. That would likely be the most reliable out of all the options, followed by the Mazda CX-5.

The Honda HRV is in the sub compact SUV segment, personally I would try to go for a CUV (RAV4 sized vehicle).

The Mazda CX-5 and Tiguan would be worth driving. You could always walk in to the Toyota dealer and see if they would cut a deal on a RAV4. Won’t know until you try. That would likely be the most reliable out of all the options, followed by the Mazda CX-5.
She doesn't want anything bigger. 🤷 It's just her in the vehicle most of the time.

My SIL has had electrical issues with her RAV4 (latest/current body style), and my brother may be having wheel bearing issues with his (also latest body style). I’d avoid the RAV.

The CRV is more vehicle than the HRV by a decent amount. I get it that it’s more money, but I’d shop around for a deal.. or at least have her test drive them both back to back.

How long does she typically keep vehicles?

My SIL has had electrical issues with her RAV4 (latest/current body style), and my brother may be having wheel bearing issues with his (also latest body style). I’d avoid the RAV.

The CRV is more vehicle than the HRV by a decent amount. I get it that it’s more money, but I’d shop around for a deal.. or at least have her test drive them both back to back.

How long does she typically keep vehicles?
She'll keep it till it croaks she says. 🤷 She has never bought a new car and is pretty nervous to have a larger car payment so she doesn't want to spend over 25k. The biggest struggle is finding something period the car lots are so bare

Yes, the SUV is now outselling the family sedan. Which vehicle is better depends on which is better for the owner.
I get why people like and are buying SUVs. I'm just not in that camp and I've owned them and driven even more.
3 days with our new Atlas and I’m already converted to the SUV camp. Storage, convenience, etc. the rear area acts like a nice raised work station for diaper changes, prep, etc. It’s a better baby buggy than a sedan.

Back