New SUV for mother in law

Hey all, my mother in law has asked for a little help trading in her jeep Patriot. She's looking to spend 20-25k. Doesn't need anything fancy just reliable. Her price range definitely narrows the playing field.
On the list so far to look at and check out is
1. Ford escape these have a 3cly how is that?
2. Jeep compass
3. Dodge journey
4. Ford Edge
5. Honda hrv
She's open to anything though similar to these vehicles.
Any input and advice is appreciated.

Last edited:
Honda HRV - you can't beat the reliability and resale. Do check out the forum(s) for any model you are considering to make sure there aren't certain years to avoid (bad trans, excessive fuel dilution etc).

CRV
Tiguan

Higher trim Escapes can be had with 2.5 (hybrid) or 2.0EB but unless discounted will be out of price range...

I have a new Escape and its very nice. But it is a 2.5 Hybrid.

The Tiguan seems like an interesting choice as well as the hrv possibly. 🤔

If she does end up settling on the Journey, avoid the 4 cylinder models like a plague. The 2.4 is known to burn oil. The v6 models are essentially Grand Caravan drivetrains shoved under the hood and are actually pretty decent to drive.

My coworker recently picked up a 2020 Toyota RAV4 LE Hybrid for about $25K. It was an end of model year sale. Can’t beat it. He is averaging over 42 MPG in the real world.

There is also that Toyota competitor to the HRV. the C-HR or something. I'm not a Toyota fan though.

HRV and C-HR are smaller than the rest of your choices IIRC.

I have not driven the 3cyl Escape, but really I'm pleasantly surprised so far with mine, so I would definitely give that a look, there are leftovers around here so you might actually be able to get a deal on one.

Consumers Reports says "The HR-V's ride is downright uncomfortable, borderline harsh."
It reportedly handles good though. It is recommended by Consumers Reports however.
The reported owner satsisfaction is a 2 out of 5.

Hey all, my mother in law has asked for a little help trading in her jeep Patriot. She's looking to spend 20-25k. Doesn't need anything fancy just reliable. Her price range definitely narrows the playing field.
2. Jeep compass
3. Dodge journey
4. Ford Edge
5. Honda hrv

No Toyota?

2. Jeep compass
3. Dodge journey
4. Ford Edge
5. Honda hrv
Hyundai Tucson...the new 2022 model just came out, but you can probably get a great deal on a remaining 2021 model. These are great CUVs for daily driving. Not exciting by any means, but extremely reliable, comfortable and outstanding bang for the bucks. The quality level will be head and shoulders above the Patriot, Compass and Journey.

Depends, do you like your MIL? 😂

Out of the list you’ve provided. I’d go with HRV.

Out of what’s not mentioned, I’d recommend the CX-5.

Honda HRV - you can't beat the reliability and resale. Do check out the forum(s) for any model you are considering to make sure there aren't certain years to avoid (bad trans, excessive fuel dilution etc).
Good reviews are hard to come by for the HRV-they are not a big seller for Honda. They only sell 13,000 units a month. Honda doesn't always hit home runs. They have been called "cramped" interior wise.

Back