New SUV for mother in law

The Wall Street Journal has a surprisingly good weekly auto review section. Last week the subject was the Bronco Sport and one that was tested had the 3 cylinder 1.5 engine. The reviewer’s comments were quite positive: smooth (!) power delivery though not extremely powerful. So I’d say the 1.5 would at least be worth a look.

The reviewer was also pretty impressed with the Bronco Sport, fwiw. Heck, it even has a bottle opener integrated into the liftgate latch.

Did some research I'm not sure that fca has fixed the 2.4 oil burning issue. I also read that the 1.5 3 cly eco boost has a timing belt that is ran through oil? Not familiar with that design. Trying to avoid crazy technology and CVT transmissions seems to be getting harder and harder.

If she does end up settling on the Journey, avoid the 4 cylinder models like a plague. The 2.4 is known to burn oil. The v6 models are essentially Grand Caravan drivetrains shoved under the hood and are actually pretty decent to drive.
Wikipedia and the Dodge website shows the Journey having the regular 2.4L World engine which is a very reliable, but unsophisticated engine that does not burn oil.

It's the newer Tigershark version of that 2.4L that is having oil burning problems. EDIT: Numerous links indicate they may have resolved the oil consumption issue through a computer change. Supposedly the valve actuation during deceleration caused too much vacuum, causing oil to be consumed. Needs more investigation to confirm: https://www.allpar.com/threads/jeep-fix-for-2018-2019-2-4-oil-consumption.236406/

Last edited:
Wikipedia and the Dodge website shows the Journey having the regular 2.4L World engine which is a very reliable, but unsophisticated engine that does not burn oil.

It's the newer Tigershark version of that 2.4L that is having oil burning problems.
It's not the engines that are the problem, it's the rest of the car that's a rolling dumpster.

Coworker's 16' Journey with 48k miles on it is at the dealer now. Wouldn't go over 30 mph on the freeway. Dealer said the throttle body needs to be cleaned? Uh?

Yes, I agree Nick1994. I had 4 cyl. short wheelbase Caravan's that overlapped the timeline of the Journeys. My Caravans had good reliability and I questioned why the similar Journeys did not.

I know that throttle bodies are the one Achilles heel of the regular 2.4L engine due to internal plastic gears that break. It's a diy replacement project that can be done under $250 (dealers are $600+). With all the problems that nearly all car mfg. are having, I am careful to evaluate what I read on the net to determine the truth. Internet amplification is very hard to interpret. I.E., some say that the post 2011 Subaru oil consumption issue was not nearly as bad as the internet portrayed. Yet, there was a class-action as part of the situation. It discouraged me from buying a Forester in 2013.

Last edited:
Subaru Forester or Outback. Hi reliability, outstanding fuel mileage, easy to get in and out and great visibility all around. Ed
I'm not a fan of working on them the boxer engine is not my favorite. I did read about the good reliability though. I'd like to find a balance between reliability and ease of maintenance and repairs.

It's the newer Tigershark version of that 2.4L that is having oil burning problems. EDIT: Numerous links indicate they may have resolved the oil consumption issue through a computer change. Supposedly the valve actuation during deceleration caused too much vacuum, causing oil to be consumed. Needs more investigation to confirm: https://www.allpar.com/threads/jeep-fix-for-2018-2019-2-4-oil-consumption.236406/
You’ve taught me something, I had assumed they transitioned everything over to the Tigershark engines.

Another vote for the VW Tiguan. Roomy. Good build quality and the interior parts are better that the Ford Escape. It doesn’t have that obnoxious growth protruding from the dash (infotainment Center). Easy to change the oil. Easy to service the air filter and cabin air filter.

There so good no body is buying them anymore.....
Yes, the SUV is now outselling the family sedan. Which vehicle is better depends on which is better for the owner.
I get why people like and are buying SUVs. I'm just not in that camp and I've owned them and driven even more.

Reactions: CKN
How are the cvt transmissions from Honda? The Hyundai/kia products have the gdi engines but I guess they've got the carbon issues figured out?
Thoughts on the escape 3cly the timing belt is an oil bath style? Very weird I've never dealt with that technology.

The CVT’s from Honda are better than the other manufacturers IMO. I had a 2014 Civic that had the same drivetrain as the HRV. Put 79k miles on it before getting the Pilot. Never gave me an issue. The acceleration and cruise control were seamless. I had a rental Corolla rental with the CVT and it was much louder and not as refined as the Civic.

The CVT’s from Honda are better than the other manufacturers IMO. I had a 2014 Civic that had the same drivetrain as the HRV. Put 79k miles on it before getting the Pilot. Never gave me an issue. The acceleration and cruise control were seamless. I had a rental Corolla rental with the CVT and it was much louder and not as refined as the Civic.
That's good to know. Cvt anything makes me nervous but if Honda did it right then I guess it's ok. How are they to drive?

Back